GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,457
2 members and 2,455 guests
davidsholzeo679, JayhawkAOII

Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool rushing a second time?

So im a soph and i transferred to the school i go to know in the fall. I only knew my bf and his friends there so i decided to rush. I talked to a few girls from ABC sorority before and really liked them. When i went through rush, i def knew where i wanted to be. This was the room i felt the most comfty in all 3 nights and they were the only ones i got a pref from. I honestly think i didnt put in as much effort trying to get to know the other 3 but now i regret that. At the end of pref, the girl that walked me in said something that made me think i was def getting a bid, but that didnt happen. I was really disappointed but another girl that was rushing that sorority with me and joined later told me that they wanted to give all the girls they invited to pref a bid but couldnt because in the fall they were just filling quotas.

We have rush again this spring and although i tried to forget all about sororities, i still want to join one, especially ABC butttt i think its really awkard to rush again. I mean ABC is def going to remember me, so what do i talk to them about? I did all the small talk about me transferring and my major and stuff last round. Plus i got really friendly with them during rush and then we didnt really talk again. And with other sororities, theyll know or what if they ask?

Im trying to do my research on them and will plan out outfits so i look good since i read in other threads those were key things. I also got a 4.0 gpa last semester so im hoping that will help me as well.

Anyways, my question is for - have you sisters had people come out twice? How did you feel about them the second time? Any of you guys do this?

I really want to rush again but im scared that if they didnt give me a bid last time i wont get one this time around and ill just end up embarrassed. Thoughts?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

don't feel embarrassed about going thru rush again. you attended informal in the fall, when there are traditionally only a few open spots per chapter, so there should really be no stigma attached to rushing again. if anyone should be tacky enough to ask about your fall experience, you could always say that you wanted to have the experience of formal recruitment where you would get to meet more people.

as for possible conversation topics did you see any movies over christmas break? did you do anything exciting over christmas break or did you just relax and enjoy spending time with your family? have you joined any orgs. on campus? have you attended any school sporting events or played any intramural sports? did you have a class that you especially enjoyed? those are just a few things you can talk about.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

You don't know if you would have been the next ABC to be bid or last on the bid list - they could be hoping with all of their hearts that you'll give them a second try. I'm sure you haven't lived in a vacuum this past term, so just prepare yourself as you did before, and realize that you may know a few of the ABCs better than a lot of the other PNMs.

That said, give the others a try. You may have just been barking up the wrong tree!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't lose hope, and don't worry about being embarrassed. Worst case scenario, you go through again and give all houses a chance, no one gives you a bid but you've met a LOT more people on a campus where you know very few. Keep your head up, and congrats on your 4.0.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LttleMsPrEp
I ended up rushing twice before receiving a bid and worried about how awkward it will be when houses I previously went to realized that it's my second time going through. During spring rush I even had a girl in one of the houses I visited in the fall with whom I had a great conversation with tell me that she remembered me. Honestly, houses will know if it's your first or second time going through but there is nothing wrong with that. As long as you weren't memorable in a negative way things should be fine.

It's much better to go through rush a second time and know that you've exhausted all of your chances [if it leads to you not receiving a bid] as opposed to psyching yourself out and being left to wonder "what if" years later.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through formal and didn't get a bid. Like you, I also didn't speak much to the girls I met during rush throughout the semester. But...I've kept a positive attitude, tried to plump up my resume and will be rushing again this spring. I'm more confident this time around because no matter the outcome, I will never wonder "what if I'd rushed again? Would I have gotten a bid?" In my opinion, go for it.

Last edited by txstategirl; 01-15-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-15-2010, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

you never know, you may have been the next girl on the list after quota was filled. i agree you should try again.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you so much for the advice girls. i decided to come out. last night was a little weird and i didn't meet that many people but i'm hoping tonight will be better. i just wish i wasn't such a nervous wreck about it all. i'll let you guys know how it goes on friday
Old 02-02-2010, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebubbles View Post
thank you so much for the advice girls. i decided to come out. last night was a little weird and i didn't meet that many people but i'm hoping tonight will be better. i just wish i wasn't such a nervous wreck about it all. i'll let you guys know how it goes on friday
Good luck to you bubbles
Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

HA. didn't even get a Pref invite. Go me?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry things did not work out for you. My rush experience did not work out either. There are lots of places to get involved on campus. Usually the school will have a database with the registered student organizations (RSO) and you can search through there to find organizations, clubs and sororities and fraternities that suit your interest.

Best of luck.

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 02-04-2010, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
HA. didn't even get a Pref invite. Go me?
Just wondering what kind of university you go to. Usually the more compeititve, more harsh cuts are made for upperclassmen and some universities consider "sophomore" as upperclassmen. I'm sorry that you didn't get a pref invite though...

Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to a pretty small school of about 5000. There were about 60 girls rushing.

I had a question - not sure if I should be making a new thread. But I got a call today from the sorority advisor and she was just calling people that did not get pref invites to see if they were okay. She also said we're starting a new colony next semester at the school. I sent her an e-mail saying I would be really interested in establishing a new organization. I'm not sure - but how does that start? Would a few interested girls start it and then have girls rush them next semester? Could I be one of the founding girls? What's the process? I really don't think I would rush again but would be really interested in being one of the founders of a new organization on campus.

Thank you guys!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I was really disappointed but another girl that was rushing that sorority with me and joined later told me that they wanted to give all the girls they invited to pref a bid but couldnt because in the fall they were just filling quotas.
The sorority was likely at or over total and therefore could only take quota. However, take things that new members (or old members for that matter) tell you with a grain of salt. They should be using a release figures method so they don't have more girls at pref than they could possibly give bids to.

I'm guessing the rush that just ended was informal, and most likely, there were very few open spots.

By sorority advisor I assume you mean the Greek advisor. As far as a colony is concerned, if they already know the colonization is happening it will be what's called a "ground up" colonization. Officers and other volunteers from the sorority's national headquarters will come to the school and interview women who are interested in being founding members. They will be the ones to choose the women - current collegians or your school's Greek advisor will not be involved in this process. All groups are looking for different things, but making sure your grades are the best they can be and getting involved in other extracurricular activities never hurts.

Last edited by 33girl; 02-04-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Bubbles, I'm sorry to hear that things didn't work out for you with recruitment, but it does sound like you might have another opportunity coming your way with the new colony. 33girl is right- keep your grades up and get involved with another campus organization or two. Good luck with your college journey, and feel free to keep us posted if you'd like!