GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,482
3 members and 1,479 guests
Cookiez17, Sciencewoman, Xidelt

Old 04-07-2014, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Transfer PNM UofArkansas

Hi everyone!
I've been searching around for some help with my dilemma right now.

I'm planning on transferring to the University of Arkansas in the fall as a sophomore and have realized that I want to rush. I know I need to have recs and I also don't have one or two particular sororities I really have my heart set on, I would honestly be excited to get a bid into any. Through high school and my freshman year of college, I was involved in a lot of activities, volunteering, etc. Last year I took a year and went to baking/culinary school and have graduated with a 3.5 GPA.

My problem is my college GPA is a 2.25 and I know that the minimum to even rush is 2.5. I'm taking 12-15 credits over the summer and changing majors as well and am hoping to raise my GPA above the 2.5 mark. I know that a lot of sororities have higher standards though than what is required. My question I guess is if I shouldn't rush because of this? Or potentially wait for spring?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

If by the end of this semester and summer (posted grades by the time you submit your application) if you're GPA isn't better than that, I probably wouldn't bother. I mean, you're welcome to give it a shot, but you'll likely find it pretty disheartening to be cut by virtually all chapters after the first round.

Now, I have ZERO insider information, but Arkansas is still very much in need of more expansion. It wouldn't surprise me if there would be more expansion in the next 2-3 years, so if you can't rush now, there is always an outside chance you'd still have an opportunity while in college. I wouldn't use this as a PLAN, but something you can hope for in a worst case scenario.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Go online and find a GPA calculator. You will find out how many units you need to take, with a grade of A, to raise that 2.25 to a higher level.

Can't tell you if you should or shouldn't rush. But your grades indicate that you would be better off pledging the library. Remember that you are an upperclassman competing with PNMs coming in from HS with stellar grades and resumes.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

You won't know unless you try. It may not be enough, but make sure everything else is in line like your recommendations, your appearance for parties and your conversation skills. Have an open mind and realize that you are not going to be the one choosing in this situation. The groups that offer you a spot may not be the ones you fall in love with, but if you want to be Greek, take the gracious offer if it comes and give it a chance. Good luck with your grades and with recruitment if you decide to go through. Your grades continue to be a big deal when you get in since many groups consider you "Not in good standing" if your grades drop below a 2.5.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katee633 View Post
Hi everyone!
I've been searching around for some help with my dilemma right now.

I'm planning on transferring to the University of Arkansas in the fall as a sophomore and have realized that I want to rush. I know I need to have recs and I also don't have one or two particular sororities I really have my heart set on, I would honestly be excited to get a bid into any. Through high school and my freshman year of college, I was involved in a lot of activities, volunteering, etc. Last year I took a year and went to baking/culinary school and have graduated with a 3.5 GPA.

My problem is my college GPA is a 2.25 and I know that the minimum to even rush is 2.5. I'm taking 12-15 credits over the summer and changing majors as well and am hoping to raise my GPA above the 2.5 mark. I know that a lot of sororities have higher standards though than what is required. My question I guess is if I shouldn't rush because of this? Or potentially wait for spring?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!
I have never heard of anyone taking that many hours over the summer.

If your GPA is not improved after summer, I would probably forego formal, and try to raise your GPA this fall, and try informal with the groups that are below total. (Yes, chapters at UA are huge, but there is a big variance in chapter size and a few groups do offer COB bids during the year.)