GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Mu

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,354
0 members and 1,354 guests
No Members online

Old 04-25-2003, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FuziCrayon
Phi Mu is coming to my college

I just found out from our local sorority's president this morning that Phi Mu is coming to our college. They came and gave a presentation and we LOVED it and the women who came to talk to us. And now we've got the word that it's mutual and that Phi Mu wants us too! Can anyone tell me what to expect this summer?? We usually have what my sorority calls "Work Weekend" where we go for three or four days to get a head start on rush and pledge. This year is going to be a whole new experience for us.

I'm on our executive council and I was hoping to give our girls a heads up on what to expect next. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Talking

YEAAA, FUZI!!! I knew they'd love y'all!!! Felicidades!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2003, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Well, I imagine that they will start by working with the officers. You will probably have an exec retreat. I would think the biggest areas for change will be your recruitment and NM program. Also, you will have to get some chapter bylaws in place that follow the national bylaws. I imagine that a chapter consultant will stay with your chapter for quite some time this fall.

Do you have any sort of housing? Is there another NPC group coming on to campus?
Old 04-25-2003, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
What college is it?
Old 04-25-2003, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
You're definitely giong to meet your Area Directors. There should be 2, one will be Director of Operations and the other will be Director of Membership.

In regards to your Phi period you'll learn the history of Phi Mu, the creed, and you may meet women from other chapters. I'm so excited for you and I'm so happy to gain so many new sisters!
Old 04-26-2003, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

hurray!!!! fuzi, i have been dying to know how things were going to turn out!!!!!! i am so excited that our nu chapter is going reopen!!!

congratulations and welcome to Phi Mu ! ! ! !

please keep posted on how things are going.
Old 04-26-2003, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

"Do you have any sort of housing? Is there another NPC group coming on to campus?"

We don't currently have any kind of housing. We've talked to the president about doing greek halls - but I don't think we're starting that next year because our school year is already over and housing assignments have already been made.

As of right now we have two national frats coming that I know of and our sorority's decision is set. There might be ONE more national coming next year, but I don't think anything has been decided about them yet.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
It sounds like your campus is really dedicated to making the greek system thrive at your school. You are really lucky to have a campus like that. When do you officially start the recolonization process?
Old 04-27-2003, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so excited for y'all...

I happen to know what campus you are on, and there are a lot of strong chapters in your area, so I am sure you will get tons of help and alumni support.

What is your chapter like now? How many women? What type of recruitment? What does your pledging involve?

Of course, you have a lot of changes coming up, but I am sure it will all be for the best!
Old 04-27-2003, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so excited for ya'll! I hope that you grow to love Phi Mu as much as we do and that you will always treasure her. A little advice...try to enjoy your Phi period as much as possible. You will learn so much during this time, so don't take it for granted!

Phi Mu Love!!
Old 04-27-2003, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool So Excited!

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
What is your chapter like now? How many women? What type of recruitment? What does your pledging involve?

Of course, you have a lot of changes coming up, but I am sure it will all be for the best!
Our chapter has been here for thirty years. It is pretty strong and we have a lot of traditions that we're still proud of. We had 10 sweethearts and 43 sisters after this years pledge class was installed. Unfortunately, there are a lot of girls transferring this year and leaving our school, so they won't be with us anymore

Our recruitment process was kinda silly. We only had two sororities on campus this year so we were required to take HALF of the pledges, regardless of how many there were. We ranked the girls (as a sorority) and the girls filled out a sheet of paper saying their number one choice. Then our director of student activities tried to match the girl with the best choice. Our motto is "Quality, not Quantity" so we were a little mad when we had almost 30 pledges this year. But I've grown to love all of them. I'm very excited about next years pledge process because it'll be selective. We'll get to choose who we want and we won't have to take TOO many girls.

Our pledging involves learning our sorority history, cheers, charter members, etc. We have a lot of fun pledge and rush events that have been very popular over the years. We have a sort of variety show called Meet The Greeks that is always fun. We also have an event called Impressions (which is a formal get together to let girls learn about our sorority. We also have one called Fly Delta (b/c Delta is part of our name). These events have been going on for years. Fly Delta is where we set up a classroom like a Delta Airplane and we travel all over the world, stopping at various places and sisters acting out skits. I don't know how we can incorperate Phi Mu into this event b/c it's one of our favorites. I hope we're able to work something out.

I'm very excited about all the new opportunities we'll have though. Next year is going to be so much fun!
Old 04-27-2003, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

What are sweethearts? Is that like a big brother organization?

Also, have you ever dealt with legacies before? If you have been there for thirty years, my guess is that you would only have little sisters, not kids, but becoming a phi mu chapter, and considering where you are, you may have some daughters and granddaughters coming through.

Do you usually take mostly freshman pledges? I could also see that changing with Phi Mu, for your first year or two of colonization. I bet there are a lot of awesome upperclassmen who never rushed, but may be intrigued by the idea of a national sorority.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
What are sweethearts? Is that like a big brother organization?

Also, have you ever dealt with legacies before? If you have been there for thirty years, my guess is that you would only have little sisters, not kids, but becoming a phi mu chapter, and considering where you are, you may have some daughters and granddaughters coming through.

Do you usually take mostly freshman pledges? I could also see that changing with Phi Mu, for your first year or two of colonization. I bet there are a lot of awesome upperclassmen who never rushed, but may be intrigued by the idea of a national sorority.
Sweethearts are our guy friends who help out with the sorority. I know things will change, but they come to our meetings, rush events, pledge events, work weekend... they help out because they love us (and I must say our sweethearts ROCK). I'm not sure what a big brother organization is. The reps from Phi Mu told us we could keep our sweethearts until they graduate out... but they can't come to all our meetings and events anymore.

We have dealt with Legacies before. They're automatically chosen during rush if they're a legacy. I don't know what kids are, but we have little sisters and big sisters... and grand big sisters etc. Also we have little brothers (sweethearts).

Our pledges are usually mostly freshman. This year I think we had two or three girls that weren't freshman. They didn't pledge their freshman year for some reason, and now they decided to pledge or have friends in our sorority. I have heard from some upperclassment that are VERY interested in pledging now that we'll be national.

I wonder though if this will cause any tension between sisters. They didn't want to pledge our organization when we were local, but now that we're going national with a new (well-known) name... they want to be part of us. I don't want girls to pledge only because of our name. I want them to pledge because they want to be part of something great. Hopefully they'll look past the letters and cute merchandise. It's sort of like buying a Ford truck, because of the name - and not because it's the best truck and quality out on the market. You know? Sorry about the bad analogy. My daddy taught me to love Fords but I don't know anything about Chevys or Dodge trucks. I just like FORD cause of the name... cause Dad likes it.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

fuzi,

i hope that your group will welcome your new members (whatever year) with open arms. there are probably some upperclassmen who didn't join your org before bc they wanted to belong to a national rather than a local. there could be a zillion reasons. you are in for a fabulous time!! you should convince some of the other girls to post here too!
Old 04-28-2003, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Re: So Excited!

Quote:
Originally posted by FuziCrayon
We also have one called Fly Delta (b/c Delta is part of our name). These events have been going on for years. Fly Delta is where we set up a classroom like a Delta Airplane and we travel all over the world, stopping at various places and sisters acting out skits. I don't know how we can incorperate Phi Mu into this event b/c it's one of our favorites. I hope we're able to work something out.
Easy! FLY Mu!

As for kids, I think the poster meant daughters of your founding members-- probably would only have actives' little sisters joining, since most alumnae wouldn't have college aged kids yet.

Any idea whether your alumnae will be able to Alum-initiate into Phi Mu? That's how I became an ADPi, and I'm so happy it was an option for me...