GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,351
1 members and 1,350 guests
John

Old 01-03-2004, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RxyChrldr
Wedding help...favors!

Alright y'all..I need help! I got engaged at the beginning of December, and the wedding is less than 6 months away..i've got lots of planning to do and minimal money to spend!! There are quite a few good threads on weddings i've found, but not specifically about favors..anyone have any good idea for inexpensive favors for the reception? I'm definitely willing to make them, or purchase pre-made if it's easier and not outrageously expensive. Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-03-2004, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you thought about not doing favors at all? I don't think most people really care about getting some little thing that they have no use for and will probably throw out anyway, and why have chocolates or jordan almonds when you're already having food and dessert?

Oh, and congratulations!!!
Old 01-03-2004, 04:22 PM

My sister is planning a wedding on a tight budget and for favors her fiance is burning a CD with, I believe, five of their favorite songs on it then making copies for the guests. Something that is personal and useful
Old 01-03-2004, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
In our "society", it's tacky not to have any gifts. Alot of people will do picture frames, mini champagne bottles, or even the CD idea.

ETA: I just realized that was kinda snotty. Depending on where you come from and stuff. That's just the opinion of my "people". If it was a good friend's wedding I'd liek to have a lil something, but it's not a big deal.

KLTC
Old 01-03-2004, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

How about giving a goldfish? I went to a wedding where they gave out little fish wich came in jars. Really interesting and cute.

Just an idea.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

My best friend was on a pretty limited budget but she had a very beautiful, classy wedding by keeping things simple.

They got ribbon printed that had her name and his name and the wedding date on it in silver lettering. Then little silver bags in which we put hershey's hugs and kisses, along with a little note that said "Hugs and Kisses from the Mr. and Mrs." and then tied with the ribbon. Cheesy but cute. And cheap!

All of the bridesmaids sat down with her and her mom and put together a bazillion of the little bags. They looked very pretty.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:38 PM
Unregistered-

The CD favors are good depending on how many people you're having at your reception. Most spindles come in packs of 50-100, and I know jewel cases are pretty cheap depending on what store you get them from. You can print out a thank you message and a list of songs on your own computer.

Have you ever thought of giving soap as favors? One of my chapter sisters learned how to make her own fragrant soap in her wedding colors and for her wedding she used a really nice transparent fabric to wrap them up.

But at any case, I'd stay away from Hershey's kisses and/or Jordan almonds.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
In our "society", it's tacky not to have any gifts. Alot of people will do picture frames, mini champagne bottles, or even the CD idea.

ETA: I just realized that was kinda snotty. Depending on where you come from and stuff. That's just the opinion of my "people". If it was a good friend's wedding I'd liek to have a lil something, but it's not a big deal.
LOL! I tend to have rather non-mainstream views when it comes to weddings, so I guess I should say that. I think favors are usually stupid, but I also would never, EVER do things like have a bouquet or garter toss or wedding party introductions because I think those things are tacky.

I'd like to add please PLEASE don't do goldfish. I bet most of those poor fish don't even make it home alive.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by G8Ralphaxi
My best friend was on a pretty limited budget but she had a very beautiful, classy wedding by keeping things simple.

They got ribbon printed that had her name and his name and the wedding date on it in silver lettering. Then little silver bags in which we put hershey's hugs and kisses, along with a little note that said "Hugs and Kisses from the Mr. and Mrs." and then tied with the ribbon. Cheesy but cute. And cheap!

All of the bridesmaids sat down with her and her mom and put together a bazillion of the little bags. They looked very pretty.
my friend's sister did this.

at one friend's wedding she gave out a small box of chocolate turkeys and cornicopia's....her wedding was the night before thanksgiving.

someone else bought small bottles of wine from a local winery and had their names and the date of their wedding on the label.

a votive candle in a small glass votive

a pint glass with the couple's info on it

i am a big fan of the edible favors! maybe you can make a donation to a charity with the money you would spend on the favors. make a little note card for each place that says you donated to xyz charity.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
at my wedding this summer we handed out little bells at the church...

they weren't that expensive and for the church where we were married, they wouldn't allow anything to be thrown.

we attached little notes with our info on them and asked people to also ring them instead of beating on their glasses to get us to kiss at the reception...

on a side note, bells are supposed to "ward off bad luck and spirits"

marissa
A GD
Old 01-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Best Wishes!!

One of the easiest yet cutest things I've seen was the Hershey Kisses & Hugs - but the bags were made using wide lace ribbon. Have someone run up two long pieces together

------------------------------------------------------------------------

on the dotted lines, then cut to the proper size. Sew up the bottom and you have quick bags!
Old 01-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Ginger

I have to echo the goldfish sentiment... it really is very cruel. You'll find a million horror stories on pretty much any wedding messageboard about using goldfish as favours, centerpieces, etc. They may be small, but they still are a living creature.

That said... I'm having a fall themed wedding, and our favours are going to be wooden fall "leaves" with our names and the date etched on them. We'll either put a magnet on the back, or drill a small hole in them to be used as ornaments. FH's mom is making them, and they're so cool... they look really realistic!
Old 01-03-2004, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Ginger, that's a wonderful idea!
Old 01-03-2004, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

In my Italian family, you have to have jordan almonds so that the single women can put them under their pillows so that they will dream about the man they are going to marry.

I did not have the almonds however and nobody said a word. I'm disappointed that nobody has matches anymore. What does one do when one needs a match and nobody gives them out anywhere anymore?

Dee
Old 01-03-2004, 09:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I didn't do Jordan Almonds.

We did hershey's miniatures wrapped in navy and silver tulle. They were tied in ribbon with our names, wedding date and Las Vegas

We also did personalized playing cards in navy and silver with our names, wedding date and Las Vegas