GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,994
0 members and 1,994 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
But as to the original question, I do know of two cases where it has happened, but both times, it was someone who would now be at least 65-70 years old. And, sooner or later, someone's going to notice that you have two different sorority magazines at your house...
Was this maybe one group (like Chi Omega) that had always been NPC and another (like Alpha Sigma Tau) who didn't join NPC till later?

I know when I've googled my sorority's name I've occasionally come up w/ obituaries that say (for example) "she was a member of Phi Mu and Alpha Sigma Alpha" - it is just so weird to see!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I really like the idea of transfers having the options to be Rho Gammas - as a transfer student, it's something I would have enjoyed doing, but it was not an option for me.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap View Post
However, most (if not all) schools will transfer a woman's Greek history to her new school as part of her general transcript. This information is then passed along to that school's Greek Life office and she will not be allowed to sign up for recruitment or COB...or if she tried, she'd be quickly released from the process once they looked through her file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB
Really? I can't imagine my school's registrar office bothering to note my extracurriculars on my transcript...well, in fact I know they didn't, because I've seen my transcript. Is this really common?

I think I might be able to help with some clarification on this particular topic. I work as an Academic Advisor-Evaluator for a large, urban university with a 33,000+ student population. The "Evaluator" part of my job involves me processing transcripts from across the US and deciding how credit should be awarded. Needless to say, I've seen a LOT of transcripts.

That said, I have never seen a transcript which detailed a student's extracurricular activities - not the major universities, nor the small liberal arts places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap View Post
I don't actually think it's written on the transcript proper, but a part of the general transfer packet of materials sent from one school to another (along with health records, discipline records, etc.)
This would make more sense as transcripts are academic records; though, I have also never heard of a "general transfer packet" containing the items described above. I'm actually thinking that it would not be considered appropriate for an institution to send along items such as those. With our university, academic and or "student-related" probation is noted on the official transcript until the time that it is lifted. The rest of the stuff is largely irrelevant to an institution.

Even if a school sent those types of materials, and they came across my desk along with the academic transcript, I would not forward them to the student activities office. Having worked in the Greek Life office prior to moving over to advising, I can say that I've never received anything like that over there either.

I'm thinking that you must attend a unique school!

I hope this helps add some clarity to this particular point. If college Panhellenic associations want to try and suss out women who were previously initiated elsewhere, they'll have a tough time of it - universities just don't keep track of that kind of stuff. They'll have to rely on the student's honesty on the recruitment application....

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

We don't have a Phi Mu chapter here, but I know we had a girl that was a Phi Mu transfer from somewhere and was on EBoard for Pan. I want to say she was the secretary... Look into this as an option.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSUGURL View Post
We don't have a Phi Mu chapter here, but I know we had a girl that was a Phi Mu transfer from somewhere and was on EBoard for Pan. I want to say she was the secretary... Look into this as an option.
That doesn't seem right to me. She's an NPC woman, but as someone who is not affiliated on your campus any of the decisions made by Panhellenic Exec wouldn't affect her, right? So it doesn't seem to make sense to let her have a hand in them. Being a PX is one thing, she wouldn't shape policy about greek life on campus, but letting an unaffiliated woman on the Panhellenic Exec Board seems like the same thing as letting someone who's a student at [for example] UT Dallas serve on the student government at UT Arlington. They're both 'University of Texas' students, but the membership doesn't quite transfer, she's not directly affected by the decisions, and she's probably not contributing monetarily to greek life there - at least not in the amount that an affiliated woman is.
If the decisions aren't directly affecting you, you shouldn't have a say in them, it's like... representation without taxation .

Last edited by GDIfly; 11-01-2006 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say it's right - her org may not have been on our campus, but she is still in a Panhellenic org. Being on Pan was like being in a sorority in its own right sometimes - we did things together that were just us (I was delegate for my local), and she was welcomed by everyone. She did an amazing job. She contributed time to fundraisers, supported all the chapters, and the way I see it, was even more a credit to her org for all she did to help the others on our campus. This woman exemplified Panhellenic spirit in a way not many women get the opportunity to.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

If a young woman received a bid and was pledged into a sorority but never intiated into full membership, that she would certainly be able to rush at another college or university with no strings attached to the prior sorority. However, is she was initiated as a member then she would not be able to rush.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaPhiMu View Post
If a young woman received a bid and was pledged into a sorority but never intiated into full membership, that she would certainly be able to rush at another college or university with no strings attached to the prior sorority. However, is she was initiated as a member then she would not be able to rush.
Just out of curiosity, have you read the other posts in this thread?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm fairly new to this forum, only having posted a few times..LoL~! Is that what you are asking?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaPhiMu View Post
I'm fairly new to this forum, only having posted a few times..LoL~! Is that what you are asking?
Welcome to the forum.

I've noticed that a lot of new GCers often don't read the rest of the discussion past the first few posts. Oftentimes, the question is already answered and more related info is posted. It's nice to get a feel of the forums before posting, IMO -- and I give that suggestion to a lot of new GCers.

Again, welcome and happy posting.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally, i think its really stupid that if you transfer to a different school that doesnt have ur sorority you cant rush another one. Its not like were going to tell the new sorority all of the secrets of the old one we were in. In fact why would anyone care to anyways? its really pointless. I think it should be allowed just as long as you really dont tell other people you were once part of another sorority or talk about the other sorority in general.

I am trying to transfer to a new school, but unfortunatly (with out knowning) my sorority doesnt like to colonize chapters at BIG schools which is what i am aimin to transfer to. So now basically, i have VERY limited choices of where i can transfer to and its down right not fair. I love being in a sorority, and i would never want to leave one, but i think its gay that i now cant join a new one. I was actually just thinking of not telling anyone and just go through rush again.

and if people in ur sorority are going to disown you because u went to a new one, then they are very low people, and they dont qualify as a true friend.

ok i vented my fustration
Old 06-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilxcutie88 View Post
Personally, i think its really stupid that if you transfer to a different school that doesnt have ur sorority you cant rush another one. Its not like were going to tell the new sorority all of the secrets of the old one we were in. In fact why would anyone care to anyways? its really pointless. I think it should be allowed just as long as you really dont tell other people you were once part of another sorority or talk about the other sorority in general.

I am trying to transfer to a new school, but unfortunatly (with out knowning) my sorority doesnt like to colonize chapters at BIG schools which is what i am aimin to transfer to. So now basically, i have VERY limited choices of where i can transfer to and its down right not fair. I love being in a sorority, and i would never want to leave one, but i think its gay that i now cant join a new one. I was actually just thinking of not telling anyone and just go through rush again.

and if people in ur sorority are going to disown you because u went to a new one, then they are very low people, and they dont qualify as a true friend.

ok i vented my fustration
I pity organization that got this rotten apple.

If you don't want to honor an NPC Unanimous Agreement, then maybe you shouldn't be in an NPC organization.

College is only for a few short years and I've had more fun as an alum member than I ever did as a collegian. I wouldn't throw away this sisterhood just because they're not at the school you want to transfer to.

Now that's gay.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilxcutie88 View Post
And if a member of a sorority is going to "not talk about [her] sorority," completely forget about it, act as if she were never a part of it, and attempt to join a new sorority, then she is a very low person, and she doesn't qualify as a true sister.

Also, why WOULDN'T your sisters want to disown YOU since it's so easy for you to just forget about them and pretend you weren't a part of their sisterhood?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, there might be some opportunities, depending on where lilxcutie transfers. In her post she didn't give the name of "what i am aimin to transfer to."

For instance, if she is transferring to Dartmouth, there are at least three local sororities there that wouldn't necessarily be bound by NPC agreements.

If she is transferring to Harvard, the scene there still, I believe, has some "final clubs" for women. Those also wouln't have to follow NPC rules. (A possible glitch is that as I understand it, a woman can't just sign up to "rush" a final club - the club must invite her.)

At Yale, if she's transferring there, it's possible that a wait might be needed. The NPC sororities wouldn't be able to take her, but the senior secret societies would -- at least the ones that tap women as well as men. One conceivable drawback there is that at least some of the secret socieites only take a strictly limited number of members each year -- fifteen for Skull and Bones, and a similar number for Wolf's Head, I think. Also, of course, they are for seniors.

If she's transferring to Princeton, that cmapus has eating clubs. Again, the NPC sororities couldn't take her, but one of the clubs might. Some of the clubs are pretty selective, choosing members through a sort-of-rush-like process they call "bicker." Others, I believe, are more "open" in membership.

Let's see: at Case Western Reserve, if that's where she transfers, I think there's at least one local sorority.

Admittedly, there's no way of knowing whether lilxcutie woould consider any of the above to be among the "BIG' schools she referred to.

Last edited by exlurker; 06-13-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 PM

Hilarious
Closed Thread