GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Events

Events Is your organization hosting an Event or do you know about an upcoming Event and would like to get the word out? Post all Event related information here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,682
1 members and 1,681 guests
Cookiez17

Old 11-15-2019, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Read it all on Reddit!
Old 11-15-2019, 04:42 AM

What is the legal reasoning for having to keep a strong division between the national housing corp and executive office? I mean I know this makes sense, but my menopausal brain just can’t put it into words.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
What is the legal reasoning for having to keep a strong division between the national housing corp and executive office? I mean I know this makes sense, but my menopausal brain just can’t put it into words.
The housing corp is likely judgement proof as it's only asset is probably the house. The national org has deeper pockets. However, if anything happens nationals are sued anyway. It's like my lawyer said once -- "l can slow them down, but they will still win."
Old 11-15-2019, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerlyKnownAs View Post
Quote:
Hey there! Fellow alpha phi here. I have no documents to share but just wanted to say thank you. I was part of a top recruiting chapter and I hated what went on there. Recruitment was a harsh experience, made some of my sisters feel rejected, and our sisterhood was horrible. My chapter spent a ridiculous amount of money on recruitment and everything we did was to look fun for the pnms, not because we are a sorority that values the member experience.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-15-2019, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Also - friend in heaven was banned only because of the site promotion. When the supermod who did it was informed of the situation they quickly undid it.
friendinheaven GC account is still banned - I just checked. Could the supermod undo it now? Asking for myself.

Back in the land of the living finally. Hate being unwell.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Only the admin can unban.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-19-2019, 04:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi all, apparently it's been three years since I last logged in. Anyway, wanted to chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I attended my convention last year. Do we have some chapters that may put more of an emphasis on looks? Sure. But that's not a directive from our organization's leadership. And one of those chapters you could argue were the super pretty ones also took home one of our most highly-regarded awards that a chapter can receive, so...
This makes sense to me even/especially in a values-based recruitment system, though. Often the strongest chapters that have their absolute pick of recruits (let's suspend real life for a second and just do the logic game part of this) will be able to narrow down a pool of PNMs by ALL the important factors like personality, grades, involvement, leadership, kindness, etc. and STILL have more PNMs than they can take. For those chapters, even if looks are dead last on their recruitment criteria, if the PNM pool is big enough then they'll probably still wind up with a bunch of gorgeous girls.

It seems to me that recruiting primarily for looks is kind of like when animals in nature mimic the appearance of a poisonous cousin. They're taking advantage of our pre-conceived notions of what strong chapters look like based on the most cursory of reviews, and mimicking it superficially.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

And while that can happen naturally (birds of a feather...), that isn’t what is in question here. The question is if Noah is standing at the Ark’s gangway with a clipboard.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Yet another example of Alpha Phi scoring PNMs and collegiate members based on their appearance

Based on posts from the whistleblower, it seems that Alpha Phi IHQ is more concerned with catching these members and members speaking out against them, rather than fixing the problem they've created. Terrible, not just for Alpha Phi, but for all Greek women.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I have decided not to write recs for Alpha Phi until we become an inclusive organization. Because you know EXACTLY who Alpha Phi doesn't want with these policies and fuck that.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I just read the entire Google Doc, and my heart hurts for all of the girls involved. I think about all of the wonderful and talented sisters my sorority would have missed out on if we had policies such as these. Were looks some sort of factor in the process...perhaps. I think whether many Orgs want to admit it or not, big or small, it is always, silently, a factor. But, with that being said, what happened to all of our founding values?? What would our orgs founders say about this? I cannot imagine this way of recruiting aligning with their founding principles. I cannot believe their Nationals is (supposedly) playing a role in this. This seems like most Nationals absolute nightmare. How can they possibly think any of this is okay?
Old 01-02-2020, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I have decided not to write recs for Alpha Phi until we become an inclusive organization. Because you know EXACTLY who Alpha Phi doesn't want with these policies and fuck that.
Two of my close friends are Alpha Phi's, and both used to be involved in local alumnae organizations. Not any more. They are both so disappointed by what is going on. One of them (a woman of color who graduated from a top West Coast university) says that she has no doubt that her own chapter wouldn't look at her twice if she were to go through recruitment today. She sadly acknowledges that her own daughter, who will be a college freshman next fall, might not make the cut either (assuming she goes through recruitment).

Even if only half of what is being alleged is accurate, it's still really disheartening and damaging. And I can't really see how an organization would think they can benefit long-term from such policies. They may provide an initial boost to GR rankings and social media, but they aren't what build a strong and dedicated alumnae network.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anongreek View Post
I just read the entire Google Doc, and my heart hurts for all of the girls involved. I think about all of the wonderful and talented sisters my sorority would have missed out on if we had policies such as these. Were looks some sort of factor in the process...perhaps. I think whether many Orgs want to admit it or not, big or small, it is always, silently, a factor. But, with that being said, what happened to all of our founding values?? What would our orgs founders say about this? I cannot imagine this way of recruiting aligning with their founding principles. I cannot believe their Nationals is (supposedly) playing a role in this. This seems like most Nationals absolute nightmare. How can they possibly think any of this is okay?

I too finally read the entire Google Doc and I was heartbroken and horrified.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I too finally read the entire Google Doc and I was heartbroken and horrified.
Yes! I just feel like that goes against the entire concept of sisterhood / brotherhood that these orgs were founded on.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anongreek View Post
Yes! I just feel like that goes against the entire concept of sisterhood / brotherhood that these orgs were founded on.
I agree. What I read does not resemble the Alpha Phi sisters that I worked with on Panhellenic and that I knew in the early - mid 1980's. The active who was with me for Sisterhood and Preference was the kindest and sweetest sister who also happened to be African American. Based on what I read, I don't believe that she would have been extended a bid today.