GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,333
1 members and 1,332 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 10-21-2015, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Colonization

Yes, Arkansas definitely has the numbers to support a new colony, but it would be a bad idea right now. The campus culture is such that any new group is looked down upon, and one of the new colonies from 2012 is still struggling. Also, those 2 new sororities still do not have housing. There is a sign up for Phi Mu's house, but no sign of construction yet.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I don't understand-none of the fraternities are recognized at UC-Boulder? This is what their Office of Greek Life website has to say:
"As a university we do not exercise direct control over the Greek system because sororities and fraternities at CU-Boulder are not legally affiliated with the university. On the other hand, the university does seek to influence the nature and operations of the Greek community that is recognized by the Panhellenic Association (Panhel) and the Multicultural Greek Council (MGC)."

But then when you go to the "Fraternity Life" subheading of the website it says "The University of Colorado Boulder is excited to announce that we are open to expansion and reaffiliation of all interfraternal organizations in good standing with their inter/national organization!"

So somehow the sororities are more recognized by the school than the fraternities?
Here is your answer why CU-Boulder fraternities are not recognized. Looks like this has been happening for 10 years.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2692266
Old 10-21-2015, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Also, I didn't include Florida, LSU, or Ole Miss because they have current expansion underway. (But we all know the current expansion won't be enough.) I didn't include Alabama because I wasn't sure - is it open? Isn't it?
My understanding is that it's open for expansion, but that, of the sororities that aren't currently there, the groups are either not interested (at least right now) or don't have the resources to fully commit, so there aren't a lot of options left for the university.

Sigma Kappa/AXiD might be options in the future, but they didn't choose to apply the last time Bama opened up. They both are involved in a spate of other recent or upcoming bigger colonizations, so maybe when those are more established, they'll have more energy to put towards Alabama. But it's also possible that they have no intention of ever applying again since both seem to have some lingering negative feelings about their previous experiences at Bama. (And, I mean, it's just a huge commitment not only in terms of money but time and energy as well, and we have no clue when the Greek growth bubble that we're in the midst of is gonna pop.)

My understanding (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) is also that DPhiE was the only group that presented last time Alabama opened up, and the university chose not to extend them an invitation to colonize. I think they were planning their Georgia recolonization around the same time, though, and maybe that was part of the university's hesitation? But it's also possible they were worried about the alum base/culture fit/any one of a thousand things that won't change.

Beyond that I'm not really sure what options the university has. Does SDT still have a house there? It might be a good time for their nationals to come in and do a reorganization (by which I mean keep the current members but also try to do a big new rush with nationals' assistance--not sure what the correct terminology is for that). With Alabama taking increasingly more out-of-state students, there might be some more leeway for less traditional sorority experiences than there has been at Bama in the past.

Last edited by sugar and spice; 10-22-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:53 PM

But I think a goodly number of those OOS students who are going there and going Greek are there BECAUSE they want the traditional Southern sorority experience.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, definitely. But traditionally Bama's system has not been the kindest to outsiders, which means that there chances of landing that traditional Southern sorority experience is probably smaller to begin with--and maybe, when those cuts inevitably occur, they're more likely to examine outside-the-box options than in-state girls would be. Or maybe not! Perhaps the newer chapters at Bama have done a solid job in filling that out-of-state niche. Regardless, I just think SDT is in the best position to feel that out while risking the least--not that they have any obligation to, obviously. I'm not sure what other options are reasonable for Bama at the moment.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
But I think a goodly number of those OOS students who are going there and going Greek are there BECAUSE they want the traditional Southern sorority experience.
OR...they want that experience, but are more open-minded about sororities and not so concerned with tiers like in-state girls or out-of-state girls with Bama friend or family connections would be. OR...if Rush just isn't working out for them, they haven't heard about being in ABC house their entire lives, so they're more open to other activities.

I went to HS with a ton of young women who were technically out of state, but grew up going to games and basically knew that they'd be going to Bama--and, they (and their moms!) also had an idea about which sororities they'd join.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

For several years now, the number of OOS PNMs placed has exceeded the in state ones. Being OOS is not an issue. Check their statistics - the placement rates are excellent overall.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I wonder if the non-recognition of the fraternities at Colorado is a factor? Yes the sororities are recognized, but they don't exist in a vacuum, and I can see where that would make some groups nervous. Especially if they don't have a lot of active alumnae in the area to keep an eye on things.
I can't think of Colorado without thinking of that reality show where the sorority women went and started a bogus chapter in England. Two or three of them were from CO, IIRC.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:22 AM

In the "honorable mention" category, isn't there a school - either one of the the smaller University of Minnesota or University of Wisconsin campuses- where there is only one group on campus, but has had some very large pledge classes in the last couple of years?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-22-2015, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Alabama - I'm not any kind of official, but my feeling is that expansion is on hold right now due to construction. 3 houses are being built, and there are only two "swing" houses (older houses being used temporarily by sororities under construction) which means ZTA is unhoused right now.

Once those houses are occupied, there will be 3 more to build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar and spice View Post
Does SDT still have a house there?
SDT occupies a small university-owned houses on "new" fraternity row. They conduct their own recruitment separate from NPC's, although they are included (along with unhoused Christian sorority Alpha Delta Chi) in the Alabama Panhellenic Association.
They have been doing quite well the last few years.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 10-22-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

And that timing works pretty well for Alpha Xi Delta at least. I don't see us conquering any sort of major colonies for at least a few more years. We'll see what happens after South Carolina and UCLA. And really, is it unnecessarily complicated that we are colonizing at USC and UCLA in the same year, but a continent apart?
Old 10-22-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
In the "honorable mention" category, isn't there a school - either one of the the smaller University of Minnesota or University of Wisconsin campuses- where there is only one group on campus, but has had some very large pledge classes in the last couple of years?
UM - Duluth. I didn't have data from this year, but last year Phi Sig took a ton of new members.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:04 PM

Nevada-Reno is indeed welcoming Pi Beta Phi back Spring 2017, which makes them "ineligible" for my list. So I 'll move up Northern Arizona from honorable mention to the top 25.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
OMG CSU East Bay REALLY needs to expand!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Since you asked

In no order:
U North Alabama (Q 45, QLY 37, 4 NPC, last colony AGD 1977)
U South Alabama (Q 47, QLY 39, 5 NPC, last colony AGD 1984)
Northern Arizona (Q 72, QLY 65, 8 NPC, last colony KD 2015)
U Central Arkansas (Q 52, QLY 54, 5 NPC, last colony SSS 2008)
CSU - East Bay (Q 48, QLY 44, T 80, 2 NPC, last colony AP 1987)
CSU Fullerton (Q 61, QLY 71, 6 NPC, last colony ZTA 1979)
CSU Los Angeles (Q 45, QLY 29, 2 NPC, last colony AST 1993)
Chapman (Q 60s, 8 NPC, last colony PBP 2015)
San Francisco State (Q 46, QLY 39, 3 NPC, last colony AGD 1991)
George Washington (Q 53ish, QLY 53, 10 NPC, last colony KD 2012)
McNeese State (Q 43, QLY 30, 3 NPC, last colony ZTA 1971-1982)
Nicholls State (Q 55, QLY 48, 3 NPC, last colony AST 1997-2002)
U Louisiana Monroe (Q 42, QLY 40, 3 NPC, last colony SK 1986-2003)
East Tennessee State (Q 50, QLY 50, 4 NPC, last colony AXiD 1996)
U Texas Arlington (Q 50ish, QLY 33, 3 NPC, last colony AXO)
Colgate (Q 50-60, 3 NPC, last colony DDD 1996)

Also, I didn't include Florida, LSU, or Ole Miss because they have current expansion underway. (But we all know the current expansion won't be enough.) I didn't include Alabama because I wasn't sure - is it open? Isn't it?

And most of the toughest, neediest schools have some major barrier to colonization - that's why they're desperate. Usually it's housing, but sometimes campus culture is a major issue.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:37 PM

Should Belmont University(TN) be in its own special category?

I suggest: Schools were the administration needs to realize what's going on.

:-)

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)