GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,375
0 members and 1,375 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2013, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Photos up now for t shirt day on Online Athens.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-10-2013, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is hanging in there! Six parties today with three that she can see herself at and one clear favorite. Now that she has a favorite (first time she has said this all week) I'm really getting anxious. The tone of her texts is all over the place - makes me look back at my days in Rush when I called home at the end of the week - mission accomplished! My mom didn't know how good she had it!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

So true PearlGirl13. Good luck to Pearldaughter.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlGirl13 View Post
My daughter is hanging in there! Six parties today with three that she can see herself at and one clear favorite. Now that she has a favorite (first time she has said this all week) I'm really getting anxious. The tone of her texts is all over the place - makes me look back at my days in Rush when I called home at the end of the week - mission accomplished! My mom didn't know how good she had it!
Pearl Girl... Are you a Tri Delta? If so were you a Tri Delt at UGA and if so what year?
Old 08-10-2013, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

All of my girls got to experience shell shock today with the major cuts that usually happen during this round. They are all hanging in there....one still has her favorite : ) The others I have not heard from yet...but I tell everyone of them...to lift up your chin and find new favorites today.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is down to 5, with 2 favorites. She's very nervous about the next round of cuts!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hang in there, UGa moms! We're behind you and your girls!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter has a friend who decided to go through UGA Rush less than a month ago. Her mother went to a private art school and her father is not US born and went to "University" in Europe. Needless to say, they aren't very in the know about SEC Rush!

The girl is very pretty, very sociable and really just a delightful young lady, but had few, if any, recommendations. And.....she went to five third round parties today and has a very good selection. I am very happy for this girl - she will make a great sister for ANY sorority, but .....

How does this work like this? It is all so hard to understand.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand the question.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like the young lady mentioned above is definitely the exception, not the rule. Her success could be due to a variety of reasons such as having girls from her high school or hometown pulling for her. Perhaps she made such a strong impression on the 5 chapters who invited her back that they found an alumna to write a rec for her. Obviously, no one will ever know for sure, but I feel fairly safe in saying that this is not the norm for UGA/SEC.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly think that with the overwhelming number of legacies and PNMs with competetive recruitments in the SEC and elsewhere, the power of references has been diluted.
When there were only 600 women going through recruitment at Alabama or Georgia 12 years ago, it was easy to see who had references and who did not. Now with 1600-2200 women, no one in their right mind can keep up with who has references or how many they have.
I think most chapters note WHO is writing the rec, like national officers, foundation members, etc. But, I think if you have an alumna writing your rec who has not done a thing, paid alumnae dues, or given money to your foundation since she graduated...you need to take into account that her reference will not stand up compared to the PNM who has Nancy National Officer who has known her since birth who writes a reference and follows up with the chapter to let them know what a great girl she is....
Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, this PNM could have a sparkling personality and have some influential members really advocating for her. It happens.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

and, because there are so many "vanilla" references written, many chapters are looking past the references and actually looking at the potential a PNM has to offer their chapter.

There is no greater value than a hand written reference from a 50+ year alum from your chapter for a young women she has known from birth or has lived mext door to her family for 20 years.

But a reference written from an alumna from a different school who admits in her letter that she does not personally know this PNM but endorses her for membership...not so much.

Just my opinion...
Old 08-10-2013, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
I think most chapters note WHO is writing the rec, like national officers, foundation members, etc. But, I think if you have an alumna writing your rec who has not done a thing, paid alumnae dues, or given money to your foundation since she graduated...you need to take into account that her reference will not stand up compared to the PNM who has Nancy National Officer who has known her since birth who writes a reference and follows up with the chapter to let them know what a great girl she is....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
and, because there are so many "vanilla" references written, many chapters are looking past the references and actually looking at the potential a PNM has to offer their chapter.

There is no greater value than a hand written reference from a 50+ year alum from your chapter for a young women she has known from birth or has lived mext door to her family for 20 years.
I agree with both of these statements. With the large number of legacies going through, I think this could also hold true in that arena too. I helped a young girl at IU who was a legacy. Her Mom did not even know there was a form that had to be filled out and sent in to the chapter. I had to explain it to Mom on the phone. She had not joined an alum chapter, paid alum dues or anything since graduation. She was also very surprised that her daughter was released after first invitational having no idea how many legacies go through recruitment at Indiana.