GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,295
1 members and 2,294 guests
asydneytianov33

Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

rushing

Thanks!

Last edited by love1integrity; 11-28-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-22-2011, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

First, I wouldn't tell them as once you file your application they will know you are going thru. So you won't "surprise them during recruitment."

As for your second question, it could. I know that in some places with some groups, they do not like having an RA in their own group. It can cause conflict of interest issues for some - it does for my group - as your first loyalty should be to your group's rules but in your case it's to the University's. Might be a problem. But that's up to each individual group.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Titchou brings up a very good point. And conversely, some universities/hall directors have a problem having Greeks as RAs. I was very often asked to prioritize hall duties over Greek life... and I had a hall director who was openly anti-Greek.

I got caught in the middle of one of those conflicts when I was an RA (I became an RA after already being Greek... and was not the first of my sisters to be one) - we had an incident involving a non-affiliated resident who got alcohol poisoning after a fraternity party. Because of my Greek status and the fact she was my resident, I got pulled into the middle of it as I was somehow supposed to be able to prevent the incident with my Greek super powers or something. I was given a choice by the university between disaffiliating with my sorority or resigning as an RA. I resigned as an RA.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe if you pledged, you could transfer to a floor that didn't have any members of your sorority. Seems like it would be a non-issue then.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I worked in Student Affairs and Residence Life for a number of years and based on my experience, I suggest you speak with your Hall Director and run through some 'what if' scenarios just so you know what his/her expectations are. It definitely takes a mature RA to switch hats from sister to RA to sister. I have seen some handle it beautifully and some fail miserably. Good luck to you! Your RA training will definitely come in handy in your sorority.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:34 PM
NUKaydee

Many of the girls in my chapter are RAs. Also, my RA went through formal recruitment with me and was given a bid to another chapter on campus. It really all just depends.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:17 PM

I definitely would try to transfer before you start formal rush (I'm guessing that it is going to take place in the spring) to a dorm that doesn't have Greek wings. It's going to be VERY hard to get anyone to respect your authoritay if you're also trying to get into their sorority.

If you want to mention it to the girls on your wing now, just say "I'm thinking of going through formal rush next semester." Unless they're stellar actresses, the looks on their faces should give you some hint of whether this sorority would bid you. Keep in mind though, that just because someone makes a wonderful friend, that DOESN'T mean they would make a wonderful sister. That goes for BOTH sides. Don't close your eyes to the other groups on campus just because you've gotten to know these girls - don't mistake familiarity for a good fit sorority wise, because there may be a better fit out there.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

As an RA who was not Greek before becoming an RA. I've found no problems with it. I made it clear to all my Greek residents that they did not get any special treatment just because I was greek or in the same Sorority as them....everything has gone very well even with difficult incidents.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Here the RA's are usually greek before they get the job, like myself. I've only ever heard of one RA pledging after she got the job. So it just depends on your campus and your residential life policies.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I joined Sigma right after becoming an RA, during my junior year. I had been hanging out with some Sigmas that spring (of 2009) but did not join until a little bit after formal recruitment in the fall. Some of my residents (all first year females) were in sororities before me (by about 2 weeks) but none were in mine so it really wasn't an issue. I think the hardest part was just the time balance between being an RA at a big state school and being in a sorority, especially during the new member period (the fact that I had to have a job to pay for my dues didn't help either). I think doing formal recruitment may also be difficult depending on your campus, as we had once weekly 1.5 hour meetings that were always smack dab in the middle of our recruitment. That's basically why I decided to do informal, or at least a big part of it.

In the end I ended up quitting my job as an RA to focus more on the sorority. I don't regret the decision either, but my experience as an RA was very difficult as I was going through a lot personally at the time. Best of luck whatever you decide to do, let us know how it goes.