GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,958
0 members and 1,958 guests
No Members online

Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Mmmm, I'd say various places. We hear it on GC but I've heard it from new members (maybe there will be several from one Rho Chi group who are discussing recruitment afterwards) and members ("remember when our Rho Chi told us that we couldn't put only 1 choice on our cards?")

I've heard it enough over the years that I figure that it couldn't be an urban legend.
While I agree that this probably happens in some places, the majority of the problems are caused by the selective hearing of most PNMs. While the PNM heard the Rho Chi say that, she tuned out the rest of the sentence which was "or else you may not get a bid at all."
Old 10-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Do all Rho Chis get the same NPC recruitment counselor book? Because I'm thinking of all the RC errors that I've heard about or actually heard over the years...and it seems too that several, when confronted with a question that they don't remember how to answer, just wing it.

I can still remember hearing a girl in my own group asking our counselor, "What happens if we don't get asked back to 4 skit parties? Or any parties?" The RC stared into space and said, as if she were pulling the answer out of the heavens, "Oh, that never happens, don't worry!" The girl was cut from everyone that night. I remember reading CutiePie2000's recruitment story and it was similar.

A valuable addition to a RC book might be, "When in doubt, ask Panhellenic. Don't wing it!!!!!"
Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Mmmm, I'd say various places. We hear it on GC but I've heard it from new members (maybe there will be several from one Rho Chi group who are discussing recruitment afterwards) and members ("remember when our Rho Chi told us that we couldn't put only 1 choice on our cards?")

I've heard it enough over the years that I figure that it couldn't be an urban legend.
Possibly. But it's so easy to pin it on the Rho Gammas/Chis whenever this stuff comes up, but the PNM is getting info from multiple places, including Rho Gammas, sorority members, the greek life office, the Panhellenic council, and older sisters who are members. Since it's a Rho Gamma's role to give them this type of information (well, accurate information, at least), it's easy if a PNM is confused to blame it on her when she might never had said anything of the sort (or said it like Titchou mentioned).

Our training was very thorough and we were given instructions on how to deal with that type of stuff. The Rho Gammas read the MRABA to their PNM groups prior to ranking. We still heard comments like these.

My point is, yeah of course I don't know the type of training/interviews/prep Rho Gammas get on each campus, but it's not always Panhellenic's fault or the Rho Gamma's fault that PNMs get confused or have misconceptions. I do feel like Rho Gammas are often slammed on GC and other places when PNMs are misguided.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
This is so true. The materials and suggested verbiage is out there. If everyone actually READ what they are signing throughout the process (meaning registration and MRABA, etc) and took the time to actually comprehend it (meaning some variation of: If I sign this I'm stuck for the next year, even if I refuse my bid to a chapter I listed on the MRABA), perhaps we wouldn't have what appears to be quite so many unhappy PNMs on bid day.

Also, there are some schools who do not use RFM. I work with two, and they still hand-match and pretty much use either Minimally and/or Partially Structured formats. I'm talking small schools with 2-3 NPC chapters, but they are still out there.
FWIW, I rushed at the beginning of the RFM era and every night all I ever filled out were scantron cards with the chapters listed. I didn't ever read/sign anything with the MRABA rules on it. My RC didn't know the answer to most of my questions, and I remember being told I had to rank 2 chapters after pref when I only went to 1 pref party.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
FWIW, I rushed at the beginning of the RFM era and every night all I ever filled out were scantron cards with the chapters listed. I didn't ever read/sign anything with the MRABA rules on it. My RC didn't know the answer to most of my questions, and I remember being told I had to rank 2 chapters after pref when I only went to 1 pref party.
This far down the road with RFM, that shouldn't be happening any longer. Everyone knows the rules and where to find them. I could see it back then though. And, since I'm old as dirt, I even remember the first of quota additions long before RFM. That was confusing to some at first. But 3-4 years later, it was not a problem. These days, unless it's a small campus that still does hand matching, there is no excuse for a PNM to not be given all the needed information. It's all right there to read. Whether they do it or not is an entirely different question.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to say that I do think NPC does deal with the lack of information. It is something that NPC works at constantly.

I agree with those who have mentioned that the info is available. NPC Member Groups provide training and education to their regional volunteers, chapter advisors, etc. Most groups have the Manual of Information posted to the members only sections of their web site so it is available at any time.

Area Advisors talk to their campuses about the MRABA often. All dues paying Panhellenics have access to MOI online so there is no need to find some old copy from five years ago. The NPC College Panhellenic Chairman also publishes a newsletter that is sent out to all contacts as well as to AFA. This fall the MRABA was one of the topics.

The new 2011 MRABA has the PNM initial in six places and sign twice so if a young woman decides not to read these points or to hedge her bets there is really not much anyone can do at that point.

It is also important to note that recruitment conslors were pulled out of the MRABA signing as of this year. We know that sometimes these young women have undue influence so now signing must happen with the FSA, Panhellenic Exec or trained local volunteers.

Panhelleincs have access to RC selection and training sections of the MOI online and there is a separate RC Handbook that FSA's can purchase and use for training for only $10.

Unfortunately, there are some areas where folks think they know better and in the end a PNM or a chapter can be hurt by poor advice. When that happens the Area Advisor or National Org follows up to try to make things better for next year. There are also wonderful Panhellenic communities where everyone comes together and works hard so that everyone is well educated and the community is strong and united. In the end these are all good life lessons for all.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordeltapgh View Post
It is also important to note that recruitment conslors were pulled out of the MRABA signing as of this year. We know that sometimes these young women have undue influence so now signing must happen with the FSA, Panhellenic Exec or trained local volunteers.
YAY! This is so good to hear!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I think we should also keep in mind that, in the vast majority of recruitments, these issues only affect a very small percentage of women/chapters. I think we hear it a ton here on GC, and think these mistakes are much more pervasive than they actually are.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=gatordeltapgh;2096813]
The new 2011 MRABA has the PNM initial in six places and sign twice so if a young woman decides not to read these points or to hedge her bets there is really not much anyone can do at that point. QUOTE]

My point exactly. And even with this we had women this year say they didn't understand what they were doing. Well then, they obviously need to spend their time on school work since their comprehension is so low.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the main reason why RCs sketchily word the MRABA/make PNMs think they have to rank all of their choices is because it maximizes placement and makes Panhellenic look like they've done a good job.

While I believe that most women COULD find their place in that one chapter they didn't want and didn't think they would get on bid day if they really truly tried, the truth is, most of them are "hormone-driven twits" who will decline on the spot or go to bid day and mope.

You don't want to force everyone to maximize because it only artificially inflates quota. Sure, everyone might match quota, but half of Icky Iota's NMs declining on the spot doesn't really help them. If only the women who would give Icky Iota a chance rank them on their MRABA, quota will be brought down to earth. Not to mention, it's very disappointing to hear that you match quota and only a fraction show up to bid day. I'd think a chapter would rather just have the NMs who are coming to bid day match.

Last edited by violetpretty; 10-02-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
You don't want to force everyone to maximize because it only artificially inflates quota. Sure, everyone might match quota, but half of Icky Iota's NMs declining on the spot doesn't really help them. If only the women who would give Icky Iota a chance rank them on their MRABA, quota will be brought down to earth. Not to mention, it's very disappointing to hear that you match quota and only a fraction show up to bid day. I'd think a chapter would rather just have the NMs who are coming to bid day match.
What. She. Said.

Plus for the past several years, I keep hearing of massive dropout rates in the new member classes on several competitive campuses. Many of us ascribe a lot of this to practically forcible maximizing.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Are we really recruiting "hormone-driven twits"? What does that say about sororities?

I'm serious. Do you really think those are the women we are recruiting? I would have been very offended to be referred to in that way and don't think of college women in that way.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
Are we really recruiting "hormone-driven twits"? What does that say about sororities?

I'm serious. Do you really think those are the women we are recruiting? I would have been very offended to be referred to in that way and don't think of college women in that way.
It's an exaggeration, but recruitment is a very busy, stressful week, and it can certainly bring out the worse in women on both sides.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

For many PNMs, recruitment is their first experience with rejection and disappointment. They've been a big fish in a little pond their whole lives, and that can give them an entitlement complex to think they deserve a "better" chapter than the one they got on bid day.

Plus, many PNMs/NMs are making decisions based off a rushed week. They don't have the perspective to see that they could have a wonderful experience in a bottom tier chapter.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post

The person - who for me- coined the phrase was a 21 year old senior chapter president during recruitment when discussing the merits of a 32 year old married with 2 children PNM. She questioned why the woman would want to associate with " a bunch of hormone driven twits." I credit her with being an astute observer of her own generation...and I quote her often.