GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,144
2 members and 2,142 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Should Chapters Reveal Probations

Should Chapters inform potential member/rushees if they are on some sort of social suspension in the Fall? What I mean is a young lady pledges only to find out a week later that they will be limited in swaps/socials for the coming year even though they are expected to fund the social budget.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-09-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAzetadude View Post
Should Chapters inform potential member/rushees if they are on some sort of social suspension in the Fall? What I mean is a young lady pledges only to find out a week later that they will be limited in swaps/socials for the coming year even though they are expected to fund the social budget.
I would say YES.

We had a situation similar to this when I was an active. A chapter was placed on social probation and was not allowed to have social events. I am pretty sure they were told not to discuss it. Panhellenic told the other chapters on campus not do so either (if asked about it by a PNM). They took a quota sized class during recruitment, but I know that there were some girls who chose not to stay in the sorority when they were told about the probation. Others were upset because they were not told before they joined.

So I think that honesty is the best policy here.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-09-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think it important that the group itself have to disclose the probation. I would look pretty terrible and probably fire up the rumors if other groups were talking about it.

This is one of those issue when your GLO headquarters will likely know the most.

I would think that if the group has a good reputation generally, it will still be able to recruit even if people know about some social limitations, especially if they know what the group plans to do instead.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I would say YES.

We had a situation similar to this when I was an active. A chapter was placed on social probation and was not allowed to have social events. I am pretty sure they were told not to discuss it. Panhellenic told the other chapters on campus not do so either (if asked about it by a PNM). They took a quota sized class during recruitment, but I know that there were some girls who chose not to stay in the sorority when they were told about the probation. Others were upset because they were not told before they joined.

So I think that honesty is the best policy here.
I completely agree with you KSUViolet. It seems like every year there is at least one Chapter that is on some sort of probation. Panhellenic tells us not to discuss it and I think that is right. I think the Chapter that is on probation, if asked, should answer appropriately and honestly.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
If you want your sisterhood to be based on honesty and respect, isn't it only fair to disclose the information? It's not necessary to make a big deal of it; it's possible to stress other aspects of sorority life. I would think a woman who joined without knowing the facts would have reason to be suspicious of the entire organization.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:25 AM

Also, I'm not sure, but it may be that the "social budget" entails things other than mixers with fraternities - it may include the formal and things that are sisterhood functions only. I'm sure everyone's different on that score.

I do agree it should be disclosed to rushees by the sorority, for the reasons DGTess mentioned. Maybe not at the first round (Hi! Welcome to ABC! We can't have mixers for a year!) but the second or third party.

It can also be a hell of a good weeder-outer to get rid of the women who only wanted to join for the mixer/party aspect - and sometimes the groups on probation are the ones who do have the biggest party reputation (warranted or not). As much as it sucks, it's a chance for them to regroup with people who really want to be there for the girls, not for the boys.