GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,534
0 members and 2,534 guests
No Members online

Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUBlue&Blue View Post
There was a big change in how it was calculated beginning with last year's senior class. First, they only use your core classes, so you don't get a bonus from that 100 in weight training or honors lunch, and if you failed a class and took it again, the failed grade doesn't get dropped like it used to. Secondly, they used to award a full point for AP or IB classes; now you only get .5 and nothing extra for an A (so the highest you can get is 4.0, even for AP Calculus BC...sucks!). So your school's GPA may be 4.5, but your HOPE GPA would only be 4.0. Our school tells the kids to figure that their HOPE GPA is probably about .5 below their school GPA, so if you have a 3.0 on your report card, chances are you won't have a high enough GPA to get HOPE.

And keeping it is another story altogether. My kids go to Tech. Not exactly generous on the grading scale there (although I always say that it makes sense if you don't want your airplanes falling from the sky or your bridges collapsing). No. 1 daughter is graduating in May and kept it all four years--she can't lose it because she won't come under review again.

Probably more information than anybody wanted.
http://www.gsfc.org/main/publishing/...script_faq.pdf

Did the HOPE folks always give the 1 point or only in 2006?

I thought the issue before was that each school system rewarded IB and AP (and gifted and honors) its own way and HOPE treated that "rewarded" grade as the real grade.
The kids in my district got points added to their percentage grade in the class before they were submitted to the HOPE folks, but I didn't think they didn't got anything added by HOPE.

So the HOPE folks standardized with the .5. (They take off whatever is added locally and use the same for everyone.) I have no idea but I though maybe the reference to grades before 2006 getting a full point might be to try to accommodate those systems that gave the kids more credit for AP. It was never presented to our kids like HOPE was cutting back on what they previously awarded. It's interesting to hear about how other schools handle it and what they tell the kids.

But you are completely correct that the recalculated grades probably contributed to a drop in eligibility.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-22-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2008, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
http://www.gsfc.org/main/publishing/...script_faq.pdf

Did the HOPE folks always give the 1 point or only in 2006?

I thought the issue before was that each school system rewarded IB and AP (and gifted and honors) its own way and HOPE treated that "rewarded" grade as the real grade.
The kids in my district got points added to their percentage grade in the class before they were submitted to the HOPE folks, but I didn't think they didn't got anything added by HOPE.

So the HOPE folks standardized with the .5. (They take off whatever is added locally and use the same for everyone.) I have no idea but I though maybe the reference to grades before 2006 getting a full point might be to try to accommodate those systems that gave the kids more credit for AP. It was never presented to our kids like HOPE was cutting back on what they previously awarded. It's interesting to hear about how other schools handle it and what they tell the kids.

But you are completely correct that the recalculated grades probably contributed to a drop in eligibility.

Once a student graduates from a Georgia high school, the final transcript is sent in for Hope calculation. Any weighting done by the school district is thrown out. Here's the link to the information. http://www.gacollege411.org/FinAid/S...alculation.pdf And whoever said that this whole thing was redone as of the class of 2007 was correct. Prior to that, it was a more generous calcuation.
"And the song from beginning to end, I found in the heart of a friend...."
Old 08-23-2008, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches321 View Post
Once a student graduates from a Georgia high school, the final transcript is sent in for Hope calculation. Any weighting done by the school district is thrown out. Here's the link to the information. http://www.gacollege411.org/FinAid/S...alculation.pdf And whoever said that this whole thing was redone as of the class of 2007 was correct. Prior to that, it was a more generous calcuation.
According to the sheet that you linked, how generous it was depended on the district and no doubt some were much more generous. That's why I was so curious about the full point that NUBlueandBlue mentioned. I never heard about that before her post, but it's mentioned for 2006 at the link I posted. Who knew?

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-23-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

recruitment results

Hi, I realize this is off the subject of the last post. However, it goes back to something stated earlier in this thread. I was just wondering if anyone has gotten stats for UGA chapters...chapter total, quota, number of new members pledged to each chapter.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adopt-a-Lab-GA View Post
Hi, I realize this is off the subject of the last post. However, it goes back to something stated earlier in this thread. I was just wondering if anyone has gotten stats for UGA chapters...chapter total, quota, number of new members pledged to each chapter.
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...7&postcount=10

Not all chapters had # NMs pledged reported, but there are results posted for most chapters.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks

Thanks, that was very helpful. I'm still new to greekchat and wasn't sure how to search for the info. I noticed that Ga. Southern still doesn't have most of their numbers posted. How long does it usually take for them to post numbers?

Old 08-24-2008, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adopt-a-Lab-GA View Post
Thanks, that was very helpful. I'm still new to greekchat and wasn't sure how to search for the info. I noticed that Ga. Southern still doesn't have most of their numbers posted. How long does it usually take for them to post numbers?
Do you mean on the list that OTW linked? Those numbers come from school published lists, which not many do, or from people who have information. irishpipes updates the lists as she gets the chance.

On that note, quota at Georgia Southern was 38 and AOII got 39.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Aopirose! I will check back on the list as recruitment progresses. I am also curious to see how things go at Arkansas.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:20 PM

Right. The listing OTW linked you to is just my homemade listing of schools with NPC sororities, their history, and current year recruitment results. I don't have any particular "connections" or inside track to get information or results. I rely on GCers to inform me and then I update my list. Usually we get quick results on Georgia Southern because GCers tend to have a lot of recs written in the south and therefore get results. However, this year things have been quiet regarding GSU and no results have been reported to this point, other than KKG and AOII.

ETA: We posted at the same time. Since you mentioned Arkansas, I guess I do have an inside track there.

Last edited by irishpipes; 08-24-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Sadly UGA Recruitment was a very painful experience for me.

I came in with:
3.8 gpa
3 yrs of varisty cheerleading
founder of a nationally ranked club sport
5 years of work experience
hundreds of hours of volunteer work
peer counselor
and at least 2 recs from each house
never touched any illegal substances (therefore no "drunk pictures" on facebook)
and I am having a book published in 6 months
In addition I personally knew 1-6 girls in every house visited during Round one, and my boyfriend is related to one of the Chapter Presidents and we'd spoken countless times last year.

After Round Two I had all 12 houses and felt that each house went well and I had meaningful conversations with the girls. Round Three I was cut from all but two.

I was very hurt but tried not to take it personally and really enjoyed my time at PiPhi and AGD.

Prefs morning I received a call 6 minutes before our meeting that I had been dropped.

I understand that it is often a numbers game, but I still feel like something must have happened between Round 1 and 3. How did I go from all 12 to getting completely dropped?

I know God has a plan for me and everything happens for a reason, but it is difficult to understand why this happened.

I also knew several girls who had drunk pictures or had a reputation for being very promiscuous that got bids from their first choice....

It was a learning experience and I guess Greek Life was not meant to be my path.

Best of luck to all the girls and parents of girls who got bids. I hope yalls first chapter meeting went well last night, it was fun to see all the girls dressed up coming back from chapter.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^
Old 08-26-2008, 01:29 PM

Recruitment is a tough experience for some people. You seem to be handling things rather well though. At the end of the day, no one really knows why anyone did not receive a bid. I know that UGA has a ton of student activities to get involved in, and I always suggest that girls get involved on campus. It helps them to see that while many UGA students are Greek, a VAST percentage of them aren't and it's not the only thing to do on campus. Best of luck to you.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:36 PM

I know you're hurting, but saying (in effect) "I'm a good girl and some real skanks got bids" is not going to make you feel any better.

With the new release figures, a LOT more girls are being released and it does sometimes come between the second and third rounds. Trust me, better that scenario than going to pref and not receiving a bid after that.

It also could be that your disappointment showed at the 2 parties you went to and was misinterpreted as disinterest.

Just throwing some things out there.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

When you said you got "all 12 parties" for round 2, do you mean you got all of your top 12 choices or that you merely had a full schedule? In other words, did you cut any of the chapters after round 1?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

To change the subject.....Has anyone seen a list yet for UGA pledges? I had heard that the web guy for UGA was sick last week and that is why no list was published.
Is there one out now? I would love to see where the girls from my town ended up pledging. Thanks