GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,363
2 members and 2,361 guests
Cookiez17, PrettyBoy

Old 07-17-2005, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

A Sad Moment in My Life.

While I have only told two Brothers, who I hold, very close.

My Father Passed away Suddenly last Wed. He was doing something He should have not been doing, cutting shrubs. It was hot, and He was on Oxygen 24/7 and tired easily.

But the main reason that I have placed this on Site is for the fact that while never a Member of LXA, He knew of Brothers from My College Days When Mom Was still alive. They used to come over to the House and Were Always big backers of Me in doing what I did and New Many Brothers of LX Z.

Dad Did know even though He Never Ment them, Many Brothers of LXA and GC as I talked to Him every Sun.

He knew of Jono as We talked about Him in our conversations a lot, Andy A. as Some one I was Proud to have met and what He has done. Shawn Harmer for things I couldnt tell Him.
But, I did mention everyone who was at GA and what a Great Time I had in meeting with each one.

He was as Happy as I was. He Live through Me when it came to LXA. He never went to College as I was the Very First of My whole Family.

When I started BX, they would come down and be part of it and were Proud of Their Eldest Son. They Knew All of the Brothers of BX and Then LXA.

Maybe Mom was the proudest, as Dad didnt say much. But, they would drag Relatives down to Home Coming to See what a Great Thing it Was. Tom being The First in College and doing something that They had no clue about. They Learned and Loved. Chided Brothers for the House not being clean (MOM) and Dad Just Smilling. He knew, Guys Will be guys or Just saying, "Hey Guys, Moms Want to see a clean place"! "How were You brought up?".

GOD, I so Miss Him. He Would Have Been A Great LXA Brother.

Actually, He Knew How I Love LXA and My Many Brothers and He was totally for it. I was afraid to tell Him I was going to Indy GA, not just going, but the Money I was spending to go.

His words were, Well Son, I know How You Feel and If You want to go do it! First one I called and He said Glad You had a Great Time! That is what means so much to You!

Andy, Jono, thank you for the kind words!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 07-17-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-17-2005, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Tom, my sincerest condolences.

However, with his passing, I'm sure now he knows about LXA - and I'm sure he'd be pleased even more.

Let me know if you need anything.

in ZAX.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Damn Tom, that's got to be the nicest and most revealing thing you've ever written on these pages. My sincerest condolences to you and Steve. I now see that your dad was as proud of you (and LCA) as you were of him. I wish I had met him, and I guess someday I will.

Hang in there, bro. We love ya.

ZAX,
Jono

"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."...Oscar Wilde
Old 07-17-2005, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Tom,

Sorry for your loss. From what you said, he must have been a wonderful man. I think true love shows in parents when they support their children, no matter how weird, stupid, outlandish or inconvenient it is. It sounds as if your dad would have supported you no matter what you did, and that is a sign of true love and respect. Remember that always.

I look back on my own parents and how they supported me in my life. Whether it was trying to grow my hair long and start a rock n roll band, wanting to become a basketball star, and yes, even joining LXA gave them that look of "well, if you really want to do it I guess it is ok." I know they thought much of the stuff I tried was weird or foolish, but they never said so outright. They let me learn on my own and discover who I am in the process.

I think the most important thing to remember is that your dad loved and was proud of you.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Peace be with you and yours, Tom. I have an idea of what you're going through since I've lost both of my parents. I'm sorry for your loss.

In ZAX,
BF

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 07-18-2005, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank You My Fellow Brothers. I appreciate Your kind thoughts.

Thank God For Bookem who was able to get off duty and go down with Me. Jono knows Bookem as Met Him. I just wish Jono had Met Dad as Dad knew Him from my many talks with Dad.

I was fine until I carried the Flag into the House as Dad was a WW II Vet. Booke and I have been on the phone 4 times in the last 1 1/2 Hour to kind of keeping My Pooper Pepped up!

Jono, Bro. I will call Ya very soon.

Thanks for being there also.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-18-2005, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom,

My deepest sympathies!

I think your comment about worrying about telling your father how much the GA would cost rings true with many of us. Age doesn't matter, especially your age. You will always be "the little boy". I think I had the same discussion with my father when I went to General Assembly in 1984. It ended the same way...go, have fun, it's what you want to do.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Yours in ZAX,
Eric
Old 07-18-2005, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to hear about your loss Tom, family deaths are never easy.

However, don't stop being the crazy old man of Lambda Chi we need that!
in zax
Lenoxxx

Visit this website if you miss what TV Guide did in destroying www.jumptheshark.com a fan website run by the fans in 2009!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Brother Eric, isnt it amazing how similar Our Stories are!

It is not Just Yours and My Story, but the many Brothers on GC and LXA!

While Most if any Parents really understood, We were Their Kids and In My Era, there were No College Students let alone College Graduates.

Greek Life to them were very Foriegn to say the least. They would just shake their Heads when I was doing the Local thing, the designing of everything from the Badge, Pledge Pin, Coat of Arms and Banner.

But, when it became a reality, Damn, You could find not bigger Backers of Not Just Me, But "THE BOYS" of BX.

One of the funny storys is about "Zorba" Our Mascot.

A True MUTT who I brought Home for the Summer.

This Dog could Shit Tons! Ate the seat off of My Vespa, eat and shit, OMG. Never a word from Mom and Dad.

They knew I was doing something that I had a Love For. They Just Smiled, shook their Heads and but up with Zorba and Me.

Actually, they Loved Zorba More than Me, They New He was Just a stupid food eating Mutt Who Shit a lot and had worries about Me! A College Student!

God, I wish so much that I could be with All of YOU Brothers in Maryland.

Have a good time, work hard and try to get some things changed for the good!

In ZAX,

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-19-2005, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Ate the seat off of My Vespa,
What a visual.....

Tom Earp...

...on a VESPA...

...with no seat....

...but wearing a badge...
Old 07-19-2005, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1843
Sorry to hear about your loss Tom.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric_Berger
I think I had the same discussion with my father when I went to General Assembly in 1984. It ended the same way...go, have fun, it's what you want to do.
I remember writing about this once before, but it's lost somewhere in the archives so I'll repeat here for those who had a hard time justifying going to General Assembly.

I was planning a trip to visit a brother from my chapter and he said his parents might drop by while I was there and told me not to mention the fraternity if they did. When I asked why, he muttered, "Because I haven't told them yet". You haven't told them what? "That I joined a fraternity". Dude, you graduated two years ago! "Yeah I know, but, well, ya know..."

To this day I don't think his parents know he's a Lambda Chi.

ZAX,
Jono

"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."...Oscar Wilde
Old 07-19-2005, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Jono, What a shame after Your Missive about Your Mother.

Yes, Parents are Protective of their Children and actually are so proud of what You did that they did not accomplish.

You and Bookem were the only ones knew about Me at 62 going to GA!

But I finally had to Tell Dad that I was going and Jono and I would be rooming together. I just couldnt Lie to Him and keep it secret.

All He said was "Well, That is something that You have been envolved in and I am glad for You". "Tell Jono I said Hello". I did for sure!!!!

While Jono and Dad Never Ment, they New each other well from our Converations!

It was My Bad that they never Ment but really Knew each other so very well!

Jono, Thanks for Being there Bro!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni