GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,369
0 members and 1,369 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I think this is by far my favorite theme!!!

I'm rooting for Cabernet!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-21-2015, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

This theme is perfection!

Rooting for Pinot Grigio because of the odd interaction at Pinot Noir.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I approve of this theme.

Can't wait to read more!
Old 08-21-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJustAMom View Post
#2 had a great connection and common interest with philanthropies and high school show choir.
Show Choir!!! I'm now a Merlot fan, being a show choir mom myself!
Old 08-22-2015, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 2

Notes from this day are quite a bit more concise! It rained all day, she is tired, and I think she is getting sick. ☺

First on the schedule is Pinot Grigio. Princess had 1 rec from a sweet lady in our church. Girl #1 – Good Conversation. Girl #2 nothing stood out, but okay. The president did pop in and visit and tell her how glad she was that she was there. She gave this house one star. (The president pops by and you give it one star? I don’t understand princesses!)

Syrah was up next. This rec came from out of state from a family friend. Girl #1 Strong with double underlines. #2 Super Sweet. #3 good conversation. She REALLY liked it here. This house that she REALLY, REALLY like was worthy of two stars. Sometimes, I just don’t understand my darling daughter.

Shiraz was the third visit. The rec from Shiraz went above and beyond. Here the princess talked to 4 girls. #1 – rehearsed speech. #2 – a little better. #3 Good conversation. #4 – LOVED. She wished the conversation could have been longer with 3 & 4. One Star.

Malbac was next and she had one rec from a collegiate girl at a neighboring college. #1 – Greys Anatomy. #2 – Mission Trip #3 – Mission Trip and #4 – A recent trip. Again, she enjoyed the 3 and 4 conversations. One Star.

She had one rec for Riesling. The first girl and her had a common interest and decent conversation, but the second girl stared right through her. The third girl was extremely interview type, and in the end, she couldn’t see herself here.

Sake was next. She had high hopes as many girls from our church are in this sorority at another school. One rec from a recent graduate and the chapter even reached out to the rec said they were excited to meet her! (maybe they do this for everyone?) In the end, this is another that she just couldn’t see herself. There were a total of 5 girls with really short conversations. A simple no.

Chablis was a chapter we didn’t have a rec for, but a new found friend knew someone. I do believe someone sent something on her behalf. She talked to 2 girls (those seem to be her favorite) Both girls had good conversations and it received the honored two stars. She said she really liked it at Chablis and could definitely see herself there.

Sauvignon Blanc was her last chapter after dinner. She had one rec for this Sauvignon Blanc. She really liked the chapter and all 3 girls who rushed her. It also received two stars.

In the end, it was really hard to rank them. While she went back and forth with a couple (she loved this about them, but not that. She loved that about this one, but not something else.) She hoped she was invited back to her favorites!

Mom note: She is definitely getting sick. I learned a few things that I didn't know, or perhaps had not thought about in a while. Daughter doesn't like small talk. She enjoys deeper meaningful conversations. Trying to tell her those come later, was like hammering a nail into her cement dorm walls. Not happening. She was easily annoyed after repeating the same things over and over -- especially at the houses that had 4 or 5 girls talk to her in a 20 min time frame. Her suggestion? Why can't we make a video and tell them all of those things so they see our personality and get the basics out of the way. Then move on. HA. I told her to hang in there, get some rest, and get some meds!
Old 08-22-2015, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay for Pinot Grigio!

Quote:
Mom note: She is definitely getting sick. I learned a few things that I didn't know, or perhaps had not thought about in a while. Daughter doesn't like small talk. She enjoys deeper meaningful conversations. Trying to tell her those come later, was like hammering a nail into her cement dorm walls. Not happening. She was easily annoyed after repeating the same things over and over -- especially at the houses that had 4 or 5 girls talk to her in a 20 min time frame. Her suggestion? Why can't we make a video and tell them all of those things so they see our personality and get the basics out of the way. Then move on. HA. I told her to hang in there, get some rest, and get some meds!
I'm the same way. Have her stick it out. When we did formal rush we were only allowed to ask certain questions like major and hometown the first party of the first day. After that, we figure they've been asked that a zillion times.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Notes from this day are quite a bit more concise! It rained all day, she is tired, and I think she is getting sick. ☺...

Uh oh... does she hide her annoyance & impatience well?
Old 08-22-2015, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Mom note: She is definitely getting sick. I told her to hang in there, get some rest, and get some meds!
Getting sick at the beginning of the semester is typical. So many folks coming from all over the place and bringing their bugs with them ... then the close quarters during activities like recruitment along with several days to fester brings on illness. Tell her to drink LOTS of water, wash her hands A LOT, and avoid touching her face, nose and mouth as much as possible. She's likely to get sick about a week after returning from Christmas break, too.

If she's like me and becomes a teacher and later a professor, the day will come when she's probably been exposed to every bug on the planet.

For what it's worth, she's probably not the only one getting sick. I've known actives who can barely talk by the end of work week!
Old 08-22-2015, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Uh oh... does she hide her annoyance & impatience well?
Not usually!
Old 08-22-2015, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 3 – Values Day

The day started out a little rocky. The princess woke up late, plus it was coming a down pour. I told her the best part about it: it’s pouring raining for every other PNM as well. She reminded me, “but, I’m getting sick?!?” Smile and push through! We also talked about potentially not getting a full schedule, and I reminded her that it only takes ONE!

She was invited back to 8!

Cabernet Sauvignon
Chablis
Pinot Grigio
Moscato
Chardonnay
Port
Merlot
Pinot Noir

The sent me a text with her schedule I think before she even looked at it! She was excited to be invited back to 8! Here is how the text went:

Me – Congrats! That’s awesome! Are some of your favs listed?

Princess - Syrah isn’t. I’m sad about that. Neither is Sauvignon Blanc and I loved them too. But I got Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon and Moscato.

Me: Just remember they may have a ton of legacies and it doesn’t mean they are saying no to you, just others they are saying yes to because of things we may not be aware of. Give the ones you ranked lower a second chance! It only takes one in the end! Put on your best face and just be YOU!

Princess: Okay!

Me: I reminded her of a few others that she liked and sometimes it helps you from having to make tough decisions! She agreed she had a great schedule!

Her good friend down the hall dropped. She only wanted Syrah or Sauvignon Blanc. And her other friend only got 3 invites backs.

She chose this time before her parties started to watch Greys Anatomy! I am certain this was the first of many poor college choices! ☺

Party time!

She didn't call this day and I got texts between houses. I am just copying those verbatim for you.

Cabernet Sauvignon – Like 1st girl and had a great connection with her. 2nd was less of a connection but still there. Video was cute, but wish it could’ve been a skit.

Chablis – it was a decent time. Good conversation, but it sounded like they study mostly and are not too big into Greek traditions. Good Philanthropy!

Pinot Grigio – LOVED their skit! It was sooo cute. Since they are a new house, they really stressed leadership opportunities for freshmen. Coversation wasn’t as good as I would have liked and didn't feel a connection with the girls I talked to, but I liked the house nonetheless.

Moscato – LOVED and still my FAVORITE! Connected with all the girls and learned about philanthropy and academic accountability.

Chardonnay – LOVED Really loved the skit and connected with my second and third girl well!

Port – really good skit and decent convos

Merlot – LOVED! Merlot is my FAVORITE HOUSE by far! I’m in LOVE! Every girl I talked to I just loved!

Pinot Noir – No texts

I finally got a text to say she had blisters, was tired and going to bed. WAIT! Did you not use the blister block I spent days looking for? Yes, on my heals, but I got them on the top of my feet?

I'm stunned.

Mom, I'm tired and need to go to bed.

And that was the end of Day 3!

Last edited by ImJustAMom; 08-23-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Did you not use the blister block I spent days looking for? Yes, on my heals, but I got them on the top of my feet?

I'm stunned.
It can happen. I have these darling new shoes that have me wearing bandaids on the tops of both feet!

Old 08-22-2015, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Me: Just remember they may have a ton of legacies and it doesn’t mean they are saying no to you, just others they are saying yes to because of things we may not be aware of.
This is fantastic.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I also hate small talk and also got sick mid-way through recruitment. Kindred spirits.

I'm rooting for Pinot Noir because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6yttOfIvOw
Old 08-23-2015, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynter View Post
I also hate small talk and also got sick mid-way through recruitment. Kindred spirits.

I'm rooting for Pinot Noir because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6yttOfIvOw
This is great! I laughed! Pinot Noir is my fav red wine.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 4 – House Tour Day

(I can’t remember the official name)

She got up and got all dressed in her Lilly, curled her hair, and was ready for the day! It was still raining, so I am not sure why she bothered.

She got her schedule.

Chardonnay
Merlot
Moscato
Chablis
Pinot Noir

Immediately she said Cabernet Sauvignon isn’t there. I mentioned that her top two were still there. She said neither was Pinot Grigio. I reminded her that she wasn’t crazy about the girls she talked to, and really liking a skit someone put on didn’t necessarily mean it was the house for her. She agreed.

Port was missing as well and she shared the girl she talked to couldn’t hold a positive conversation with her, so she was very annoyed by that. We discussed hiding her annoyance, and she continued, “but I was truly annoyed.” Okay. Moving on.

Mom note: remember? Princess doesn’t hide annoyance well.

I try to give her a pep talk because once again, she doesn’t have a full schedule. She cut me off. “I know, mom, I got this. I’m fine. Stop worrying. This is my chance to grow up and do things on my own.”

Point taken. Enjoy your day!

I’m sorry to OHSOHAPPY and others who feel I am not sharing enough detail. I can only share what is shared with me. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all recruiting stories.

I got updates sporadically throughout the day.

First update:
I’m not feeling Chardonnay is the one. There is nothing bad to say. The house was okay, but LOVED Merlot. The house is beautiful. They have both cold airs and bedrooms. Everything is decorated so nicely and I asked the girls about their favorite memories in the house and it just sounded so fun. Merlot was above and beyond my dream sorority house. One of the girls that I talked to, said, "oh yea, I was supposed to be looking for you! SO and SO was raving about you!"

Second Update came shortly before visiting the 3rd house:
Bad headache. So Tired. Raining again. If Moscato or Merlot don’t ask me back tomorrow, can I drop?

WOAH! Think fast. I replied, “well, don’t think about it like that. Be positive and we will discuss if that happens. But, don’t focus on that! Enjoy the experience. Face tomorrow, tomorrow! Ok? You still have 3 houses to visit!”

As a mom, I am so worried. This process is really taking a toll on her physically, but also mentally. She is not my normal cheerful, bubbly princess who enjoys adventure and never sleeps and claims most days to be the best day ever, but a run-down, cranky, crabby girl who just needs sleep. Is anyone ever fully prepared for this week we call recruitment?

Third update:
Moscato – LOVED IT! The girl kept saying how pretty I was, and that of course made me feel good!
Chablis – The girls are nice, just not for me.
Pinot Noir – The girls are nice, just not for me.

More people are dropping, so I believe that is on her mind. She has friends that have lost their first and second choices and very discouraged. She can only see herself in 2 of the 5 that are left on her list (and they have been her favs since the beginning), and she is trying not to get her hopes up. She opted for chicken noodle soup and an early night. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by ImJustAMom; 08-23-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Closed Thread