GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,597
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, kayashulze3611
» Online Users: 1,314
0 members and 1,314 guests
No Members online

Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that their argument is always that you have to collaborate in the real work world so you need those skills. There are significant differences between the real work world and the college/grad school world though. The first being that you work with those people 40 hours a week so it is pretty much impossible for them to hide from you. The second being that if they screw up on a group project at work, or don't pull their weight, they don't get the credit as they do in classes. In my experience, with group projects, someone can do nothing at all and gets the grade that the others get. If this happened at work, the supervisor would be pulled into it and the person could be fired.

I'm in an online program and we only get the student's class email address. We have had students completely disappear during a group project. They don't answer emails, don't show up for scheduled conference calls, don't do one solitary thing for the project and there is no recourse. That teaches nothing.

One good instructor did have us do evaluations of the others in our group and those evaluations counted for 10% of the group project grade. That still means a student who does nothing for the project can get a B on the project though.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-09-2012, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I'm in an online program and we only get the student's class email address. We have had students completely disappear during a group project. They don't answer emails, don't show up for scheduled conference calls, don't do one solitary thing for the project and there is no recourse. That teaches nothing.
Exactly why I hate group projects! I, luckily, never had this happen to me personally. However, I had many friends in this boat.

I do use a group project evaluation sheet in my classes. If one student doesn't pull his or her weight, then they do not get the full credit on the project. I have found that students are mostly truthful when they fill these out. Occasionally I will get the delusional student who gives himself an inflated raning, but when the other three group members give that student a consistently low rating, then I know what's going on. I can't imagine not using some sort of evaluation tool when grading a group project.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
sigh.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in Atlanta at Georgia State recruitment this weekend. Left my car in a parking deck on campus because it was free and the hotel I was staying at the with other advisors had $21 parking per night.

Should have paid the $21. Instead, Murphy paid a visit to the tune of a broken drivers side window and a stolen out-of-date ipod. Yes, this ipod was out of site in the glove box. There were actually 2 other cars that were broken in to as well. It could have been ALOT worse.... could have had slashed tires, car may have not started, etc. Luckily once the police report was filed and the glass was cleared out of my seat, I enjoyed an uneventful ride home with "the window down" and no AC on since it was cool enough without it.

Hope the thief likes Christian rock/alternative music - bc that, and a little bit of country (and a few Dave Ramsey podcasts) is about all he was going to find on it. It was a 4 year old ipod too.... not even really worth anything! So thankful I dont keep anything of real value in the car. However, I am going to put a freeze on my credit just in case they found "something" that I cannot remember was in there.

Ugh At least it's just a minor inconvenience and not a catastrophe. I think the cops were impressed that I wasn't more stressed out about it that I was....
Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^
Ugh, that sucks. I'm sorry that you have to deal with that.

WIFLSRN: What did I get myself into? I haven't taken a real math class since my senior year of high school. Math camp begins tomorrow. What is math camp, you ask? It is a voluntary class that takes a course that would normally take a whole quarter (ten weeks) and turns it into a ten day class three weeks before the beginning of my first quarter as a doctoral student. We'll be covering calculus, linear algebra, and a ton of other math stuff. I'm a word woman. My fiancé is a math man and I am a word woman. What have I gotten myself into????
-GKC
Old 09-09-2012, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

^^I hear you. Death by calculus tonight!

for hope, for strength, for life
Old 09-09-2012, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Vito, clean out your PM inbox.
Oops. Done.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so excited. This weekend, I noticed a new restaurant. It's called "The Big Salad". That's right down my alley because I love salads. What's awesome, it's not far from my apartment. I'm hoping the food is good when they open.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the worst weekends on record for us-- Friday the AC went out, and after a long wait was finally repaired, luckily for only $325, so that wasn't too bad, but being at the house all day with no air... lets just say Florida heat, no air, is no fun.

Today we went to the Magic Kingdom and I was in line at Space Mountain-- well it's dark there, and I was going down hill, and I slipped in a puddle of water from all the rain, and really messed up my foot. I ended up this evening at Centra Care (I did finish out the day with a wheel chair), and it's either a torn tendon or a hairline fracture. It's so swollen they couldn't really see it on the x-ray. I'm miserable, on pain meds-- tramadol and ibuprophen (800 mg) but still rather miserable.

The on the way home, we were at a gas station and I decided to get in the back seat to try to elevate the foot. I had my door open and was trying to ease out when a douchebag in a truck rammed through and hit the door of my car. Luckily we couldn't find any damage. I think it was just his mirror that hit it. But I lost it and went into full bitch mode. I then ended up breaking down and crying half way home.

I was so pissed and over this weekend that I cried half the way home. Lets hope this week is far better than this weekend. I'm so over it. Way over it.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
I was in Atlanta at Georgia State recruitment this weekend. Left my car in a parking deck on campus because it was free and the hotel I was staying at the with other advisors had $21 parking per night.

Should have paid the $21. Instead, Murphy paid a visit to the tune of a broken drivers side window and a stolen out-of-date ipod. Yes, this ipod was out of site in the glove box. There were actually 2 other cars that were broken in to as well. It could have been ALOT worse.... could have had slashed tires, car may have not started, etc. Luckily once the police report was filed and the glass was cleared out of my seat, I enjoyed an uneventful ride home with "the window down" and no AC on since it was cool enough without it.

Hope the thief likes Christian rock/alternative music - bc that, and a little bit of country (and a few Dave Ramsey podcasts) is about all he was going to find on it. It was a 4 year old ipod too.... not even really worth anything! So thankful I dont keep anything of real value in the car. However, I am going to put a freeze on my credit just in case they found "something" that I cannot remember was in there.

Ugh At least it's just a minor inconvenience and not a catastrophe. I think the cops were impressed that I wasn't more stressed out about it that I was....
This happened to my mom a number of years ago at a parking garage at the Univ. of Michigan. They cut the convertible top and stole cassette tapes and some other stuff. The worst part was actually having to have the roof replaced to the tune of $1500, which insurance paid for. After that, it always leaked in a car wash. The best part, was: they were caught and convicted!!! There had been a string of car break-ins and the 3 thieves were caught on camera. They had to pay restitution as part of the sentencing, and every so often for a few years my mom would get a check from the court.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Ooooooh Amanda, I'm so sorry! That's awful!

Tomorrow is my first day of classes. I am so excited for the upcoming 4 months but I'm nervous as hell how this is going to turn out. I was always juiced for the first day of school last year but this year? Looking at my schedule, I feel like I'm preparing for battle. Good night, y'all.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 09-10-2012, 01:20 AM

I just found out this evening that my first-grade teacher died.

She was the type of nun that gives nuns a bad name. She probably cried the day corporal punishment was forbidden in school. The evil impulse within me wants to say, "Good riddance to bad rubbish." But it's up to her God where she'll end up. (Hopefully in the special level of Hell reserved for child molesters, people who talk at the theatre, and sadistic teachers.)
Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Banned

I got my dog neutered when he was a pup, but dude keeps humpin on folks legs and other dogs. Yesterday, when I took him for a walk, he tried to hump on a female dog who was being walked by her owner. I had to apologize to the owner. The lady called herself telling me that I should get the dog neutered, and I told her I already did. We were both trippin at how he was still trying to hump on her dog. I told her I think it's instinct if anything, because I thought they stopped wanting to mate when they're neutered. Does anybody else have this problem with their dog? It's trippin me out.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota Man View Post
I got my dog neutered when he was a pup, but dude keeps humpin on folks legs and other dogs... Does anybody else have this problem with their dog? It's trippin me out.
I have a female beagle that will hump legs and other dogs on occasion.
The vet said she is trying to assert dominance.

ΒΣΦ
Louisiana Preceptor Pi -Exemplar
Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I just found out this evening that my first-grade teacher died.

She was the type of nun that gives nuns a bad name. She probably cried the day corporal punishment was forbidden in school. The evil impulse within me wants to say, "Good riddance to bad rubbish." But it's up to her God where she'll end up. (Hopefully in the special level of Hell reserved for child molesters, people who talk at the theatre, and sadistic teachers.)
In my RCIA class I asked if, since you can pray to help someone OUT of purgatory, you could pray to keep someone IN a little longer - thinking of an evil bishop who had just died.

Alas, you cannot.