GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,543
1 members and 1,542 guests
navane
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

isn't there a list of people who are willing to help potetial ais find information about their glos? maybe that should be stickied to the top with a note that says, the following gc members have agreed to give advice as to how to pursue ai with their orgs. please refrain from contacting other gc members.

plus, there was the great thread which listed all of the orgs and whether or not they did ai...and how rare it was, etc. that thread seemed to answer 80% of the questions most potential ais ask. maybe that should be re-done. i know it was deleted some time ago, but i never knew why.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkyphimu
plus, there was the great thread which listed all of the orgs and whether or not they did ai...and how rare it was, etc. that thread seemed to answer 80% of the questions most potential ais ask. maybe that should be re-done. i know it was deleted some time ago, but i never knew why.
That thread was deleted at the request of the original poster.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
That thread was deleted at the request of the original poster.
I would also like to add, that it was reposted by someone who had saved a copy onto her computer. She didn't know that the original poster took it down for a reason, and unknowingly reposted it -- opening up yet another can of worms.

At one point, it seemed like GreekChat was becoming a hot "market" for Alumnae Initiates.

If a woman is interested in AI, they can contact www.npcwomen.org themselves to find out which sororities offer AI.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

or they could just as easily go to this thread

I think its seems such a "hot bed" is b/c GC is really the only "legitimate" fraternity/sorority messageboard on the 'net that is very active and represents more glos.

Of course if someone pm'd me about information, I wouldn't get all that upset.

I would calmly direct them to the I/NHQ webiste, its not all that big of a deal in my opinion. I would also go the route of SmartBlonde, if they asked me to sponsor them...that would be funny!

The edit button has become my new best friend

Last edited by ms_gwyn; 08-01-2005 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkyphimu
Personally, I don't think that how rare or common AI is should really be a topic of public discussion. I mean, people are, of course, free to make observations, but I don't think anyone should speak as to how common AI is for any particular organization.

Listing which organizations have AI is fine -- nobody would object to that. When you get more specific, though, there's a good chance that it could lead to problems. First, interested people should do their own research (and I think most of that should be done by researching organizations directly, not through a message board). Second, I don't think any of us want people coming to GC to try to figure out which organizations are "easier" to get into. Also, the information posted here isn't always correct.

Last edited by valkyrie; 08-01-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree. Someone wanting to do research on AI should go to an official web site... like npcwomen.org or any of the NPC web sites-- not an online community. Going through formal channels, they can learn who does AI and what requirements or restrictions may exist.

Similiar to a PNM who should call the Office of Greek Life at her university for information specific to her school's recruitment. Anything in an online community is hearsay.

I think GC is a great way to connect with other Greeks and supporters of Greek Life, or to meet people with an interest in going greek, but it's not a manual for how to join a sorority as an undergraduate or as an alumna.

It's like going to Starbucks to find out how to save money on your car insurance. The person sipping a latte at the table across from you may feed you one idea, but the person next to her may have one that is entirely different: Call Geico Direct!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Banned

And I disagree!

This forum is a wonderful resource. People who've "been there, done that" can give very helpful advice. I know how much it helped me.

There was a time when everything stalled for me-- for more than a year! I had contacted everyone I could think to contact on the "official" level in my sorority, but nobody had answers. It took someone from this forum who knew the inner-workings to step in and find out where the ball had been dropped. She got things moving again for me. Had it not been for her, I still may be in PNM purgetory!

Telling someone to go right to the source-- doesn't really help in many cases. A lot of sororities don't even mention AI on their sites.

And.. what about the woman who went to college where there were no sororities or fraternities on campus, but now thinks she has something to give as an AI? How would she know where to start? You're all assuming she knows about NPC, all the names of the sororities, etc. This forum can be a good first step for women to learn the basics of what AI is and how to proceed.

If she doesn't live in an area where the Greek life is popular-- particularly if she's been out of college a long time.. it's difficult to find anyone who's Greek to talk to about it!

I'm always willing to help anyone who's interested. I know how difficult the process can be, and how many emotional ups and downs there are. I'm happy to lend a shoulder and an ear.

Last edited by blueangel; 08-01-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I too, like blueangel, am willing to help. If someone pm'd me and said that they didn't join in college because there weren't chapters on her campus or whatever. But she's all like my friends went ADPi, or I have family member who is an ADPi or I researched and I feel a connection with your philanthropy and what your beliefs are. I would help her. Not to say I'd be willing to sponser her or anything (because do that she'd have to be in my city I believe), but just give her information on who she would need to contact, just so she knows how to start.

Someone has actually asked me for information and I told her that AI is a long process, gave her contact information and told her to be patient because ADPi (right now) they want to find their own AI's, they don't want to be asked (if that makes sense). AI is changing in ADPi, as I'm sure it is in other chapters. It is a continous process.

But I think it is very important to emphasize that it is a long process. Especially if you are coming from the "outside" (I'll explain what I mean in a second), making inquiries and then waiting.

What I meant by outside is a person who doesn't know a sister in the particular sorority they are interested in.

I think it is just up to members of this subforum to really read the posts and if they think it is getting out of hand, either say something yourself, pm a moderator or pm someone in that sorority.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-01-2005, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueangel
And.. what about the woman who went to college where there were no sororities or fraternities on campus, but now thinks she has something to give as an AI? How would she know where to start? You're all assuming she knows about NPC, all the names of the sororities, etc. This forum can be a good first step for women to learn the basics of what AI is and how to proceed.
She can find the NPC website. GC is actually starting to turn me off from AI - just like undergraduate membership, it isn't for everyone - AND THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF IT.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
She can find the NPC website. GC is actually starting to turn me off from AI - just like undergraduate membership, it isn't for everyone - AND THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF IT.
Why would it turn you off? Its another resource of obtaining potentially great, life long members?

Most of the recent posters are almost half-way or more along or announced that they have finished the process.

There are very few here on the AI at the moment who are just starting out.

There are some who've been "limbo" a very long time or decided that they have other paths to follow at the moment.

The AI here represent a very, very small percentage of each of their glos.

And within that glo, some chapters are very open to it and some are not.

Just trust your org and your sisters to do the right thing for their AC and GLO.

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 08-01-2005, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ms_gwyn
Why would it turn you off? Its another resource of obtaining potentially great, life long members?

Most of the recent posters are almost half-way or more along or announced that they have finished the process.

There are very few here on the AI at the moment who are just starting out.

There are some who've been "limbo" a very long time or decided that they have other paths to follow at the moment.

The AI here represent a very, very small percentage of each of their glos.

And within that glo, some chapters are very open to it and some are not.

Just trust your org and your sisters to do the right thing for their AC and GLO.
Because people are sorority shopping and I don't like it. I also don't want some woman coming into Gamma Phi after 7 other sororities have rejected her. I think the idea of AI is absolutely wonderful and I am thrilled that my sorority offers it, but it makes me very sad to think that some women expect us to take them after they've been rejected elsewhere. They should want us for who we are and what we stand for, not because we're all they can get.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Because people are sorority shopping and I don't like it. I also don't want some woman coming into Gamma Phi after 7 other sororities have rejected her. I think the idea of AI is absolutely wonderful and I am thrilled that my sorority offers it, but it makes me very sad to think that some women expect us to take them after they've been rejected elsewhere. They should want us for who we are and what we stand for, not because we're all they can get.
THANK YOU so much for saying that. I definitely could not have said it any better.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

As I have stated before, Undergraduate "Rushing" is much different that AIing. That is a given.

greekchat is not a "Hotbed" of AIing by any means. It has shown some who for some reason or another did not Associate with any given GLO whether is be Fraternity or Sorority.

Yes, there are some that accept it more frequently than others, but it does happen doesnt it? Dont say No because of the many wonderful people of GC who have attained the AI status and are very active with Their GLOs.

As has been pointed out, the percentage of AIing is small in comparrison to the over all picture.

Granted, there have been a few a very few who seem to have become upset on AI, some on GC and if that is the case, that is to bad and sad.

If some are so dead set against it, then why keep checking and making comments on the AI Sub Forum and want to either do away with it or change MODs "MOD"?

If some dont like it, then do not check and post on it. By doing this, it is a slap in the face of those that have AIed and become very important Members of Their respective GLOs.

Yes, there was a list of GLOs that would AI and Those that would help, but some got so upset that it was asked to be removed and it was.

So, why not leave well enough alone as those that make a big deal out of it stir much more up than it is really worth.

If your GLO doesnt do AI, then jsut say so, dont carry it on like it is a life problem, it your GLO does AI, speak up and say so.

It seems that sometimes that those that do not AI much, (Notice Much) as opposed to those that do, really get out of joint, then just leave it alone.

Yours is not theirs is it?

I would love to list all of the AIs on GC who are Big Produtive Members of Their GLOs but I cannot remember all of them, but We know who they are!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-01-2005, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay if someone is going to publically announce that she was dropped by 7 houses, yes you would be concerned but on the flip side unless I'm a member of those houses I don't know the reason for it.

When she was in college it could have been because of her GPA. Automatically at some schools on the first night of FR girls are dropped specifically b/c of GPA. So let's say she had a GPA of 3.4 but the cutoff is 3.5, so automatically she would be dropped.

I say this because it's not for us to hold it (being dropped from houses) against them. We don't know why these houses dropped them. And even if someone on GC happens to know this potentail AI, that person would only know the reason their house dropped them.

I'm sure there is always a part of us that is thinking "they are only interested in us because they couldn't get the other one". But the same thing goes with FR and those girls get the benefit of the doubt.

We need to do the same thing for the PNAM's.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-01-2005, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd also like to point out that a lot of people change after college. I've only been out three years, but I'm definitely NOT the same person I was when I went through recruitment.
Closed Thread