GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Psi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,667
0 members and 1,667 guests
No Members online

Old 12-26-2004, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

VSU Brother gives brother kidney

Giving the gift of life, frat brother to another
College friends are proof of advances 50 years after the first organ transplant
BY TAMMIE SMITH
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Dec 24, 2004

When Anthony Whitney and Scott Johnson joined the same Greek-letter fraternity while students at Virginia State University, they made a pledge of brotherhood.

The letter "K" each has branded on his upper arm symbolizes their commitment to each other and to their fraternity, Kappa Alpha Psi.

Johnson, 34, didn't waver then, when he found out his former schoolmate and roommate needed a kidney transplant. Whitney's kidneys had deteriorated as the result of undetected and untreated high blood pressure.

By the time he went to a doctor complaining of dizzy spells, the situation was serious. By late 2003, so much damage had been done that Whitney was told he would eventually have to go on dialysis, a mechanical means of doing the work of the kidneys.

"My mentality was if I have to go on dialysis, I will just do it and go on the national transplant list," said Whitney, 33, a computer analyst and Richmond resident. "I didn't want to put somebody else through that sort of ordeal to help me out."

ORGAN DONOR INFO
UNOS www.unos.org SAVE7LIVES www.savesevenlives.org/ Telephone: (866) 728-3738

He didn't want to ask any family members for a kidney. People on the national list typically get cadaver organs. But they may wait for years.

What Whitney didn't understand was how much his friendship meant to Johnson. Before Johnson and his wife Nicole married three years ago, he told her of his intention to see if he could be an organ donor for Whitney should the need arise. When that time came this year, they talked again.

"My wife and I prayed on it," said Johnson, a self-employed insurance agent who lives in Clinton, Md.

"It took me probably 20 minutes" to decide. "He needed a kidney. I knew how the waiting time was for getting an organ . . . Life and death is a matter of a breath. You cannot take that for granted."

The surgery, with their families' blessings, took place Dec. 8 at Henrico Doctors' Hospital, Forrest campus. Both donor and recipient are doing well and want their story to be an inspiration.

Whitney urges people, especially African-Americans, to be mindful that high blood pressure is not called the "silent killer" for nothing. Johnson wants people to view what he has done as something they also can do. He urges them to at least sign up to be organ donors at death.

Stories like theirs, of benevolence and unselfishness, have been repeated thousands of times since the nation's first successful long-term organ transplant was done 50 years ago.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-26-2004, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

A GREAT story.

Organ donation in the AF AM community is so taboo, until someone personally is affected. I'm glad that his brother was able to assist in this time of need.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Amazing story - it takes some kind of commitment to do that for someone.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
A GREAT story.

Organ donation in the AF AM community is so taboo, until someone personally is affected. I'm glad that his brother was able to assist in this time of need.
co-sign. Great story.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RBL
This a great story representing the human spirit and fraternal spirit
Old 12-28-2004, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
A GREAT story.

Ditto. Very heartwarming story.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

my brothers

This story makes me even more proud to be a memeber of Kappa Alpha Psi, Fraternity, INC.....brother, you really answer the called to serve....

Yo- Nupe
Spr. 02
Old 09-14-2009, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Trojan Pride
Old 09-16-2009, 06:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, this story is definitely what it means to not only be a member of KAPsi, but what it should mean to be a member of any greek letter organization. He definitely honored THE DREAM!