GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,908
2 members and 1,906 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-28-2011, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by DeltaZeta09; 03-28-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaZeta09 View Post
I am considering dropping my sorority... here is the basic rundown of the pros and cons. and a bit why.

PROs:
- Alumni relations for life
- Greek life can be fun, especially all-greek events
- Leadership opportunities that I have taken advantage of
- I am close with some girls especially my big and a few girls from my PC

CONs
- our chapter fines so much I can barely afford it
- My adviser is horrible to me - she has mocked my intelligence, told my sisters to not vote for me when I ran for a position, and tried to get one of my friends to stop talking to me. I have one of the highest GPAs in the house though, and this same adviser will come to me for advice when dealing with recruitment/other events
- There are some girls in our chapter that are so disrespectful and quirky that I am embarassed to be aligned with them. I will never judge a girl on looks, but these girls are not close to being women and barely represent our pillars for our sorority.
- My grades are always close to suffering because it's so time consuming
- We don't excel during recruitment - we always have to spend extra time recruiting and it takes time away from other activities
- There are two girls dropping that I am so close to
- I feel very stigmitized in the chapter; pnms literally tell me during recruitment they would not like to come back to our house/tell me they've heard we're weird. When I wear my letters, I try to do so with pride, but it is hard when many other girls on campus will literally sneer at me
- The chapter I joined was my third to last choice. My Rho Gamma told me that if I didn't join, I probably would never get into a chapter via COBing because she thought all chapters may be at total. I didn't undersatnd anything about greek life, and actually every chapter had spots. The chapter I wanted to be in so badly told me the next day that they had accidently cut me on the third night and they were going to bid me had I waited 24 hours.

Idk what to do.

QFP. You have quite a bit of info on GC about yourself to remain anonymous. My suggestion is to speak with your president since you are not a new member.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
- There are some girls in our chapter that are so disrespectful and quirky that I am embarassed to be aligned with them. I will never judge a girl on looks, but these girls are not close to being women and barely represent our pillars for our sorority.
What?

Drop, you'd be doing the chapter a favor.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:32 PM

I am borrowing KSUViolet's pen for my answers.

Quote:
CONs
- our chapter fines so much I can barely afford it Solution: Don't blow off events or do things to incur a fine!

- My adviser is horrible to me - she has mocked my intelligence, told my sisters to not vote for me when I ran for a position, and tried to get one of my friends to stop talking to me. I have one of the highest GPAs in the house though, and this same adviser will come to me for advice when dealing with recruitment/other events Do the other girls actually listen to her and do what she tells them? How old is this advisor anyway? If you feel that she's being abusive to you, go over her head to your regional person in charge of collegians (whatever you call it) or, if she is a non-sister that the school compels the chapter to have as an advisor, notify the Greek life advisor or student life director.

- There are some girls in our chapter that are so disrespectful and quirky that I am embarassed to be aligned with them. I will never judge a girl on looks, but these girls are not close to being women and barely represent our pillars for our sorority.I don't quite understand how "disrespectful" and "quirky" fit in the same breath, and I looked at your chapter website and they all look like women to me. If your idea of "respectful" or "womanly" means people should look, dress and act like June Cleaver, I suggest you broaden your horizons a little.

- My grades are always close to suffering because it's so time consuming
Part of being in a sorority is learning time management. This isn't the sorority's fault.

- We don't excel during recruitment - we always have to spend extra time recruiting and it takes time away from other activities What are YOU doing personally to alleviate this problem? Do you introduce unaffilated friends to your sisters? Have you asked your HQ or the other chapters in the state to help you?

- There are two girls dropping that I am so close to If they jumped off a building, would you do it? You can still be friends with them even if they drop out.

- I feel very stigmatized in the chapter; pnms literally tell me during recruitment they would not like to come back to our house/tell me they've heard we're weird. When I wear my letters, I try to do so with pride, but it is hard when many other girls on campus will literally sneer at me That is their problem, don't make it yours. If someone said your parents were trashy or nuts or something, you would defend them, wouldn't you? Don't let others' opinions color how you feel if you're having fun and making friendships.

- The chapter I joined was my third to last choice. My Rho Gamma told me that if I didn't join, I probably would never get into a chapter via COBing because she thought all chapters may be at total. I didn't undersatnd anything about greek life, and actually every chapter had spots. The chapter I wanted to be in so badly told me the next day that they had accidently cut me on the third night and they were going to bid me had I waited 24 hours. THIS CHAPTER (the one you wanted to be in so badly that is) IS A BUNCH OF JERKS. If they wanted you that badly, they would have given you a bid in the first place! What they are saying is that "well, you weren't good enough to be our first choice, but we'd come to you after we went through all the other girls on our bid lists." IF that is even the truth.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am considering dropping my sorority... here is the basic rundown of the pros and cons. and a bit why.

PROs:
- Alumni relations for life
- Greek life can be fun, especially all-greek events
- Leadership opportunities that I have taken advantage of
- I am close with some girls especially my big and a few girls from my PC

CONs
1- our chapter fines so much I can barely afford it
2- My adviser is horrible to me - she has mocked my intelligence, told my sisters to not vote for me when I ran for a position, and tried to get one of my friends to stop talking to me. I have one of the highest GPAs in the house though, and this same adviser will come to me for advice when dealing with recruitment/other events
3- There are some girls in our chapter that are so disrespectful and quirky that I am embarassed to be aligned with them. I will never judge a girl on looks, but these girls are not close to being women and barely represent our pillars for our sorority.
4- My grades are always close to suffering because it's so time consuming
5- We don't excel during recruitment - we always have to spend extra time recruiting and it takes time away from other activities
6- There are two girls dropping that I am so close to
7- I feel very stigmitized in the chapter; pnms literally tell me during recruitment they would not like to come back to our house/tell me they've heard we're weird. When I wear my letters, I try to do so with pride, but it is hard when many other girls on campus will literally sneer at me
8- The chapter I joined was my third to last choice. My Rho Gamma told me that if I didn't join, I probably would never get into a chapter via COBing because she thought all chapters may be at total. I didn't undersatnd anything about greek life, and actually every chapter had spots. The chapter I wanted to be in so badly told me the next day that they had accidently cut me on the third night and they were going to bid me had I waited 24 hours.

Idk what to do.
Okay, I numbered your cons so that I can address them more easily.

1) Chapter FINES or DUES? If it's dues, then you can probably set up a payment plan with your treasurer. We could do that. But if you're being fined for something (non-attendance, grade issues, whatever), then that's your own fault.

2) Not everyone gets along with their advisor. I know a lot of people that thought their advisor was overbearing, making things "not fun", or just being "old" and whatnot. You can either choose to sit down with her and see what problems she has with you, or you can continue to think that she's against you for some random reason and be in the same position. Or talk to your President or someone else in leadership about it.

3) Do you have a standards board? If these girls are disrespecting what your sorority stands for, then there are ways to address this.

4) It sounds as if you're an all-or-nothing type of person. You can still be active and study at the same time. Participate in study hours in the house or in a cafeteria or somewhere else. There are hundreds of thousands of girls and guys that strike a balance every single year. Exercise good time management, because believe me, you will need that skill even more when you're out of college.

5) Please explain what you mean about taking time away from other activities.... Why do you suffer during recruitment? Apathy from other sisters, like you're projecting?

6) So what? I had a lot of friends outside of the greek system. There is nothing that says you can't be friends with non-greeks.

7) I find this kind of hard to believe. But in your previous points, it seems like you think that people have it out for you.

8) What's done is done, and that's all in the past. You can either think about what could've been and be miserable, or you can make it what you want. There are plenty of people that don't get into their first or second choices, but they make the best of it and a lot of the times make the sorority better by the time they left than when they joined.

But it seemed like you just joined because you only wanted letters across your chest. If you don't want to make an effort to change what you don't like about it, then quit, because otherwise you will be miserable and you will be bringing your sisters down with you.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha 33girl- jinx.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Haha 33girl- jinx.
Mine is prettier than yours.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Mine is prettier than yours.

Substance over style.

I kid, I kid!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM

I'm just curious how you can have one of the highest GPAs in the chapter and then say a few lines later your GPA is almost always suffering due to sorority life.

Are you on scholarship? Do you have to keep a 3.7 or something to keep your scholarship?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:48 PM

Did I read correctly? You have one of the highest GPAs in your sorority, but your grade are always close to suffering?

ThetaPrincess noticed the same thing.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 03-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Why do people feel the need to come here and talk about how badly they want to quit?

I mean, 99% of the time, they pretty much have their minds made up to do it and are just seeking validation. So dumb.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know why that didn't register with me when I read through her post. I'll blame it on it being Monday. Yeah, that's confusing.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Did I read correctly? You have one of the highest GPAs in your sorority, but your grade are always close to suffering?

ThetaPrincess noticed the same thing.
Well, if everyone else has 2.7s and you have a 3.0 and you're used to having a 4.0, it might bug you a little.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Why do people feel the need to come here and talk about how badly they want to quit?

I mean, 99% of the time, they pretty much have their minds made up to do it and are just seeking validation. So dumb.
I agree.

It also sucks when Greekchat is their big moment of realization. "Oh these usernames are right, I should try attending events more, I should stay!!"
Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

That, or they want us to beg them not to quit.

They want us (GC) to say this to them -> "Please don't quit your chapter. The entire greek system at your school will completely fall apart if you leave!!! How can you leave. WE NEED YOU!!!!!"

yeah, right.....