GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,101
1 members and 1,100 guests
No Members online

Old 08-16-2005, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
I'm actually pretty protective of my letters - I mean, if someone were dying of hypothermia I'd consider letting them wear a sweatshirt...maybe...

Seriously though, I'd rather not let someone wear my letters unless it were absolutely necessary. If it were an extreme case, then fine, but I just don't feel comfortable having non-members wearing Kappa Sigma.
Same here.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
My mom was even afraid to borrow my sweater...even though I told her she was perfectly permitted to do so! We're pretty protective of our sweaters/shirts...no boyfriends. No non-initiate males may wear our letters (We've had 2 male initiates(advisors)). We had 2 girls deactivate last year for various reasons and the next day we had a neatly stacked and plastic wrapped pile of shirts on the buffet...there's no wearing letters around here if you're not a member..someone WILL notice and WILL talk.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

As stated in the other thread, I'm not protective of my letters at all. I don't care who's wearing them -- pledge, alum, former member, fraternity guy, girl in another sorority, non-Greek -- as long as they're representing the organization well and not pretending to be a member if they're not one. Like I said, wearing a tee shirt doesn't make you a member. I'm not sure what the big deal is.

And if I were to deny my freezing-to-death friend a sweatshirt just because it had my letters on it, I'd certainly be going against my sorority's ritual . . . so there you go. As KR said, a good person first, a Tri Delta second -- although in this case the two would have to go hand in hand.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Every time I see a thread like this, I keep thinking about how many sorority women won't let anyone touch their letters or crest or whatever - yet would kill to wear their boyfriend's fraternity pin.

Now, what I DO hate is how many greeks give old party t-shirts to the Goodwill or something. Then you see some old wino drinking from a brown paper bag and wearing a sorority t-shirt - yuck!!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

In accordance with my organization's protocol.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
Every time I see a thread like this, I keep thinking about how many sorority women won't let anyone touch their letters or crest or whatever - yet would kill to wear their boyfriend's fraternity pin.
Sorority women wear their boyfriend's fraternity pin?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
As stated in the other thread, I'm not protective of my letters at all. I don't care who's wearing them -- pledge, alum, former member, fraternity guy, girl in another sorority, non-Greek -- as long as they're representing the organization well and not pretending to be a member if they're not one. Like I said, wearing a tee shirt doesn't make you a member. I'm not sure what the big deal is.
I mean this in the least disrespectful way possible:

This paragraph doesn't make sense.

I can usually find at least some logic in a viewpoint that I disagree with. With your viewpoint I can find none.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Sorority women wear their boyfriend's fraternity pin?
Sorority women who think it's the 1950s.

Seriously, I didn't know people still did that.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
Sorority women who think it's the 1950s.

Seriously, I didn't know people still did that.
Pardon me as I was being coy. I know that it used to be a practice particularly for NPC/IFC but didn't know it was still one.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I mean this in the least disrespectful way possible:

This paragraph doesn't make sense.

I can usually find at least some logic in a viewpoint that I disagree with. With your viewpoint I can find none.
That's fine, because your viewpoint as expressed in the other thread makes no sense to me. And that's fine -- different strokes for different folks.

I don't care if people wear a University of Wisconsin sweatshirt even though they don't go to this school and thus don't understand the experience I've had. Nobody cares if I wear my high school track pants even though I'm not on the track team anymore. Why should I treat my sorority shirts any differently?

If a fraternity member wears a party shirt with my letters on it because he enjoyed the party and enjoyed spending time with the girls in my chapter, I'm not going to argue with it. If a pledge wants to wear the letters because she is showing her commitment to the organization, good for her. And if a former member wants to wear the letters because she still respects the sorority but had to leave because of unrelated personal issues, I've got no problem with it. As I said in the other thread, if you are treating the letters with the respect they deserve, I don't care if you're a member or not. And conversely, if you AREN'T treating the letters with the respect they deserve -- I don't care if you're a member or not, you shouldn't be wearing them. To me, the latter is a much much much bigger problem than the former. I've never seen a non-member wearing letters to cause problems, but I've seen many members of all organizations who wear their letters while behaving ridiculously. Why don't we work on that before we attack the people who ARE treating our letters with respect?

If we stopped putting so much emphasis on the damn tee shirts, maybe we'd have fewer members who are just in it for the tee shirts . . . ?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:28 AM

Quote:
I've seen many members of all organizations who wear their letters while behaving ridiculously. Why don't we work on that before we attack the people who ARE treating our letters with respect?
Excellent point, S&S!

Quote:
If we stopped putting so much emphasis on the damn tee shirts, maybe we'd have fewer members who are just in it for the tee shirts . . . ?
Even excellenter!!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
A practice I never especially believed in - I always figured if I loved a girl that much I'd propose.

Plus, my wife is in a sorority, so she has letters of her own. She never really needed mine.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

For their 30th anniversary, my Dad gave my mom his fraternity pin. It is absolutly beautiful, rubbies and pearls. I was a little sis in the same GLO and my mom gave the pin to me this summer (My Dad passed away 20 years ago). I don't wear it but I will always take care of it and treasure it. I don't have sons, but if one day I have a grandson who happens to become a member, I will pass it on.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's fine, because your viewpoint as expressed in the other thread makes no sense to me. And that's fine -- different strokes for different folks.

It isn't about different strokes. It is about being able to understand the logic in something regardless of whether you agree or disagree with it.

How can a nonGreek or another sorority be representing your organization, but at the same time you don't assume they are a member just because they are wearing your symbols? If they aren't a member, how can nonmembers be charged with representing YOUR symbols in a respectful manner? That isn't their responsibility. If you want to monitor how members wear the letters, do so. It doesn't make sense to say anyone can wear letters just because your organization hasn't learned how to monitor how its own members wear the letters.

As I stated in the other thread, it is not about the tshirt. It is about the symbols on the tshirt. In the end, there is a good reason why viewpoints such as yours are uncommon, at least among BGLO/MGLO/LGLO members.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 08-17-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It isn't about different strokes. It is about being able to understand the logic in something regardless of whether you agree or disagree with it.

How can a nonGreek or another sorority be representing your organization, but at the same time you don't assume they are a member just because they are wearing your symbols? If they aren't a member, how can nonmembers be charged with representing YOUR symbols in a respectful manner? That isn't their responsibility. If you want to monitor how members wear the letters, do so. It doesn't make sense to say anyone can wear letters just because your organization hasn't learned how to monitor how its own members wear the letters.

As I stated in the other thread, it is not about the tshirt. It is about the symbols on the tshirt. In the end, there is a good reason why viewpoints such as yours are uncommon, at least among BGLO/MGLO/LGLO members.
And that's one reason why I'm not in a BGLO/MGLO/LGLO. Granted, opinions like mine are not the norm among NPC/NIC Greeks either, but they are more common. NPC and NIC Greeks often create party shirts with both groups' letters on them. NIC fraternity members sometimes allow their girlfriends to wear their letters. Although it's not usually kosher with the sorority HQs, many girls pass sorority shirts on to their guy friends too. And all but a handful of NPC sororities allow pledges to wear letters.

You say that it's not about the tee shirt, it's about the letters on the shirt, which I totally agree with. But my letters don't lose any of their "power" by being associated with non-members.