GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,489
0 members and 1,489 guests
No Members online

Old 04-08-2004, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Where?? Probably in Bridgeport, Canaryville (however you spell it) or one of those backwards South side areas.

-Rudey
Those were definetly the areas that I was thinking of! But I'm sure there are others.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Banned

So I and others believe that past helps determine the future and it seems certain people can't accept that.

NEXT.

DISMISSED.

-Rudey
Old 04-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
Those were definetly the areas that I was thinking of! But I'm sure there are others.
This is straying but I don't think they're gangs...I think it's just a bunch of kids that all went to the same catholic school and probably have gang mentality. But I don't think there are colors, signs, names...all that good stuff.

-Rudey
Old 04-08-2004, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Don't let those well dressed republicans fool you,lol. j/k
hahaha, it's the white middle aged males you have to be afraid of...they are all the serial killers.

Old 04-08-2004, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosDST
We would all like to think that.
Actually I know that. And since you're not an initiated sister of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated, my guess is that you have no idea how our membership process to works, just like how I don't know what DST does. So, would you kindly shut your trap on something you know nothing about?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is straying but I don't think they're gangs...I think it's just a bunch of kids that all went to the same catholic school and probably have gang mentality. But I don't think there are colors, signs, names...all that good stuff.

-Rudey
SWEET do I get to be in a gang because I went/go to a Catholic school? I still have my COLORS and everything.

Also, I am not going to discuss my sorority's membership requirements on GreekChat, and I doubt anybody else is either.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Banned

OK I swear...someone please post a joke. Anything. You're all driving me insane and none of you can say anything funny. Can we all make fun of the non-Greek girl?

And who predicted this would be another racial thread? ME ME ME ME!!!

-Rudey
--George is busy
Old 04-08-2004, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
hahaha, it's the white middle aged males you have to be afraid of...they are all the serial killers.

LMAO

The white collar crimes too....

Hell, every group has their criminals. YAY

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deuika Send a message via Yahoo to deuika
Quote:
Can we all make fun of the non-Greek girl?
tehetehe
You Start!!!

Old 04-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by deuika
tehetehe
You Start!!!

Well maybe you can study real hard and join Phi Beta Kappa.

-Rudey
Old 04-08-2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:
So I and others believe that past helps determine the future and it seems certain people can't accept that.

NEXT.

DISMISSED.

-Rudey

NEXT. DISMISSED. to you, dudeguy.

Anyway, it's easy to form an opinion on something when you don't know what's really going on, out there. People say things like: "I would NEVER allow a stripper or a former stripper to be in my chapter!" Thennnn, they realize that people don't always divulge their past (or present) and that there are extenuating circumstances in people's lives. That person having been a stripper (and that person having been a gang member) doesn't mean they had sex with strangers or did drugs. Therefore, it also doesn't mean that they will do something in the future to jeopardize themself or your organization.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well maybe you can study real hard and join Phi Beta Kappa.

-Rudey
I think Phi Theta Kappa is the more likely option.

"You get your PhD
How happy you will be
When you get a job at Wendy's
And are honored with employee of the month"
Old 04-08-2004, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is a discussion between Rudy and a few other folks now, but I have to say, being in a gang is kind of a big thing, right? I mean, I understand if you were like 13 and then wised up and got out, but those groups cause quite a bit of trouble at the expense of others, don't they? I have never lived in a community where gangs were a problem (thankfully), and I don't really know the levels that they operate on.

Still, I feel like a 16 or 17 year old girl who hasn't gotten out isn't making good decisions. I would ask her: What kind of things are your friends doing that you think it is ok? Why do you feel a need to participate? And while I don't expect all decisions to be good at 16 or 18, or even 50, but there is a limit. So, since I wouldn't want to accept a girl who got caught cheating in high school, and I wouldn't want to accept a girl who caused a car accident to get revenge, I wouldn't want a girl who supports her friends doing harm to others.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Well what if they were still "involved" with their gang?
I wouldn't do it...not just for the reputation of the organization, but for the safety of the members. If the person disaffiliated from the gang (how you REALLY do this, I just don't know) then, of course. People have scuffs on their pasts, but that's no reason to deny friendships and memberships. I knew a Blood who then joined an NPHC fraternity. I was a little disturbed to see the fraternity brands near the Blood tats. The guy had moved from his hometown/city to make a new life for himself. He was a little older than the average college student, but he was really trying. I applaud the fraternity for understanding his situation!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Ginger

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosDST
People say things like: "I would NEVER allow a stripper or a former stripper to be in my chapter!" Thennnn, they realize that people don't always divulge their past (or present) and that there are extenuating circumstances in people's lives.
I think what GeekyPenguin is trying to say is that it's not always necessary for the person to divulge on their own... each org's selection process is different. There are some orgs, I can say with certainty, that take measures be positive that a membership candidate does not have an illicit past before they are initiated.

I've already been a little less vague than I would like, but that's all I'm going to say.

And if a member does participate in illegal activity while active, there are measures that can be taken then, as well.