GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,421
0 members and 1,421 guests
No Members online

Old 03-13-2024, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Someone responded to the post with this, lol:

If the restraining order is not granted, this car may need to make an appearance at the College Park parade on May 4th!

The image you tried to post isn't coming through. Without the photo, it sounds like a threat to drive into the crowd....

True and Constant
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-13-2024, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

It's the Delta Chi "Deathmobile" from the parade at the end of Animal House.

I can see the image in both of our posts, so I wonder if anyone else is having trouble?
Old 03-15-2024, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternities accuse University of Maryland of illegally searching phones, violating rights in Greek life probe

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/baltimor...investigation/

@~/~~~~
Old 03-15-2024, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

The Greek Life Suspension has been lifted, but 5 Fraternities are still under investigation.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/unive...ities/60216424

Last edited by Pinkmagnolia921; 03-15-2024 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:06 AM

Absolutely unbelievable. If this doesn't impact their enrollment I'll be shocked.

PS: these kids need to learn they can't search your phone if you don't have it with you.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

I love what they said here!

"We will continue to pursue litigation against representatives of the University of Maryland for their unlawful behavior in targeting members of fraternities and sororities. Administrators who participated in or were complicit in this egregious erosion of student liberties must be held accountable."
Old 03-16-2024, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmagnolia921 View Post
The Greek Life Suspension has been lifted, but 5 Fraternities are still under investigation.

That article and others that I've seen indicate that there are 5 groups still under investigation, but no indications that those 5 are all men's groups. (In fact with the fact that this blew up at the same time as that female influencer, I wouldn't be that surprised if a majority of the five still under investigation were women's groups.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

That article and others that I've seen indicate that there are 5 groups still under investigation, but no indications that those 5 are all men's groups. (In fact with the fact that this blew up at the same time as that female influencer, I wouldn't be that surprised if a majority of the five still under investigation were women's groups.
Old 03-16-2024, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
All five are confirmed by the university to be fraternities.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...ty-ban-lifted/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Absolutely unbelievable. If this doesn't impact their enrollment I'll be shocked.

PS: these kids need to learn they can't search your phone if you don't have it with you.

The students probably weren't expecting to be asked to have their phones searched. I would have never anticipated that myself. The one news article stated that the consulting firm asked them to show their calendars and such. I suppose, to glean information on what events happened when and where.

What is most horrifying to me is that none of these students were under criminal investigation. The university and "consultants" do not have legal authority to detain the students or search their personal property without consent. Only the police get to do that and, from what I can tell, the students were not being investigated by any law enforcement officers. The university and "consultants" likely used scare tactics such as "If you don't cooperate and give us your phone, you'll get an honor violation and possibly kicked out of college" to coerce these 18-22 year olds into giving consent for their cell phones. Unless there is something in the university policy, I don't even see how they could coerce anyone into showing up for the interviews to start with. You want an interview? Get a warrant! Then the police can invite me in for a little chat. The students were under no obligation to sit there in the interview room. They could have gotten up and walked right out. Otherwise, it's an unlawful detention.

Disgusting! These kids didn't understand their rights and the administrators knew it.

True and Constant
Old 03-16-2024, 06:39 PM

Let me rephrase that.

Anytime you're called to any sort of interrogation, have as little personal information on you as possible. Leave your wallet in your car (or better yet, take a bus/walk there). Ideally, walk in with nothing but your house key. If they want info, they need to get a warrant.

And yeah, I do feel like I knew this at that age, it's what comes from growing up/going to college in a state with super restrictive alcohol laws and small town police departments continually trying to justify their salaries.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...1-2700b78225ae

In one alleged complaint, on Feb 27th, court documents say the alleged victims were "being burned with cigarettes and torches, having to lay on nails and being forced to consume things like live fish, chewing tobacco and urine, in addition to being spat on."
Old 03-17-2024, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

With all the lawsuits, eventually, fraternities and sororities will end up becoming small clubs if this kind of shit keeps happening. Urine? WTF?
Old 03-17-2024, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...1-2700b78225ae

In one alleged complaint, on Feb 27th, court documents say the alleged victims were "being burned with cigarettes and torches, having to lay on nails and being forced to consume things like live fish, chewing tobacco and urine, in addition to being spat on."
That sounds terrible. I still have no idea why hazing still goes on after the countless tragedies and trauma its victims endure.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 03-17-2024, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I've never understood hazing. Why does someone want to hurt a person whom they tried hard to get into their organization?
Old 03-17-2024, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

If the “female influencer” referenced is Lucy Taylor, her project started in 2020, I believe. She’s been discussing UMD Greek life publicly for years now.

Her content is hit or miss. Some of it is really well done and educational and some of it- the only way I can sum it up is it just sounds like a bunch of Gen Z Problems/Complaints.

She didn’t start the fire here (as BJ would say). But, once it was burning, she made sure to put her face out there to promote her content.