GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 853
1 members and 852 guests
Titchou

Old 01-19-2013, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

East Carolina U Sigma Phi Epsilon Investigation & “Cease and Desist” (Drugs, etc.)

East Carolina U Sigma Phi Epsilon Investigation & “Cease and Desist” (Drugs, etc. Alleged)

http://www.reflector.com/crimerescue...-house-1788865

excerpts from ^^ :

" By Jane Dail
The Daily Reflector
Saturday, January 19, 2013

An ECU fraternity . . . is being investigated by the university and its national organization . . . .

Sigma Phi Epsilon’s national headquarters told its East Carolina University chapter to cease all operations pending the outcome of the investigation, the organization said in a statement . . . by Executive Director Brian Warren.

It also suspended members charged with drug and theft-related crimes related to Wednesday’s search by police. . . ."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-19-2013, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Under the forfeit laws, how much risk is a GLO of losing ownership of their house when a member is found guilty of such charges?
Old 01-19-2013, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoug View Post
Under the forfeit laws, how much risk is a GLO of losing ownership of their house when a member is found guilty of such charges?
Interesting question!
Calling the lawyers, because I don't know.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoug View Post
Well, I think that depends on the ownership of the house. With my chapter for instance, we alumni lease the chapter house from an agency that leases the university's residential properties.

As alumni, we determine who we see fit to live in the house and can kick out anyone if we see the need to. But, if the university sees an incident occur with the chapter and/or at the chapter house, the university has the right to evict the chapter and terminate the lease based on the contracted agreement we have.

So, there's one answer.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Generally, landlords can evict tenants if they are conducting illegal activities on the premises. For example, if your maintenance person goes in to replace an air filter and sees a water bong sitting by the couch, that can be solid grounds for an eviction (at least in my state).
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Sig Ep just got this house back this year. They were previously suspended 4 years by nationals, a result of a hazing incident involving some pledges and a river in January. After some discussions, they had their suspension knocked down to one year.

Interesting to see what is going to happen here.