GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 595
0 members and 595 guests
No Members online

Old 01-25-2015, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing for the Second Time?

Hi, I'm second semester sophomore and last year I rushed at informal sorority recruitment at my west coast school. It's almost informal recruitment again and I'm really wondering if I should rush again.

I should probably give you some background to what happened last year: That year, my best friend and I were super stoked about going through rush together, especially since we had taken some time to really get used to college. However, I wasn't really in a good place emotionally or mentally since I just went through a horrible break up. That being said, it was really easy for my friends to convince me they'd rather want me to rush XYZ (which is what they wanted) rather than ABC which I absolutely loved. As my best friend said, "I really hope we could all be sisters." (Lets be real though, I know that girl and I know it was because I was driving that week.) All in all, it was a stupid choice because I listened to my friends than myself.

Because my friends didn't want to rush ABC and wanted to rush XYZ, I instead went to all of XYZ's events and only 1 of ABC's because I had to drive both of them to the events (and they really didn't want to rush ABC with me.)

Obviously, because of that, ABC didn't pref me, but XYZ did, but honestly I knew in my heart I didn't want to be XYZ after pref night and I was so relieved in not getting a bid. (As for my friends, my best friend didn't get a bid while my other friend did.)

So the next semester I focused on my school like I always do, I got more secure in myself, and I became an officer in a very involved arts/departmental club on campus. (Involved to the point where we get prominent people [directors and stuff] to come talk to the students.) If I rush now I know I'm in it for the right reasons and not just because I'm lonely or desperate.

So here I am, again wondering if I should do it again. Idk how bad it'd be for a girl to re-rush or if people would remember. Idk what I'd do if I was asked about last time, but most importantly would it be worth it for me to do it?
Old 01-25-2015, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it will be worth it, if for no other reason that to have given it your best shot. You'll never have to worry if you missed out - either you will get a bid, or you will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was not meant to be. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredinpaint View Post
So here I am, again wondering if I should do it again. Idk how bad it'd be for a girl to re-rush or if people would remember. Idk what I'd do if I was asked about last time, but most importantly would it be worth it for me to do it?

Sure, why not? Like my sister just mentioned, if you give it another shot, at least you won't have any "what ifs".

As for what to say if asked about last year - there's probably no need to go into great detail about how you had gone through a break-up and were lonely and felt pressured by your friends, etc. If you are directly asked, you can simply say that you had tagged along with your friend last year for moral support and to help her out with rides; but, it looked like so much fun, that you wanted to give it a go for yourself this year.

PS - I noted that your friend did not receive a bid last year. Do yourself a favor and, if she plans to rush again, have her secure her own rides. You need to focus on yourself this time and not let her influence you.

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 01-25-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the responses!

I think I might do it then... I just hope it all works out for the best!