GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,430
1 members and 1,429 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 05-25-2003, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
Cool

Well, when I started recruitment, I had my heart set on one group. They dropped me in the third round, but after that round, I knew I didn't belong. (Incidentally, in that round, they also cut 2 of my friends who ONLY wanted that group.) So on pref night, I had to make a tough choice. I LOVED SDT's pref ceremony, but my other choice was a bigger, more established sorority on campus. I really liked both groups, but I knew that, in the end, I would be the most comfortable with my Sig Delts!

Oh, I also got dropped from the group I'm a legacy to! But at Emory, that's not such a big deal...I don't know anyone who got recs, either.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-25-2003, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
What helped you girls decide what group you wanted to be a part of?

I went to COB. I rushed just wanting to meet girls, so I went to the COB for the biggest chapter on campus. (Does anyone else look back now and think, "Boy, if I knew then what I knew now!") We have AGD, Sigma, Phi Sig, and ASA too. I didn't know that then though. ASA and Phi Sig are the only other groups that had fliers up then. And I had classes during both of their COB parties.

I'm glad I ended up where I am. I think I would have been OK somewhere else -- after all, sisterhood is the important thing -- but I really fit in so well with the Phi Mus, in so many ways I didn't fully realize until AFTER we were initiated!

Funny how so many of us chose our groups for crazy reasons... and figured out later we wouldn't have gone any other way.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Yes!

As a legacy to another GLO, I had very much planned on pledging that sorority. Yet, from the moment I met the ADPi's, I felt at home. It was harder to explain that I wasn't going (other GLO) than I care to remember, but in the end, it was the right choice for me.

As an alumna, I saw 2 pnms become new members one year, knowing that the one had been really rushed & we were her first choice, and the other we wanted, but we were her second choice. One year later, Second Choice was the most respected member of the chapter, and on the fast track to becoming President, while First Choice had already considered deactivating! It's definitely a matter of attitude.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

i did get my first choice, but my story isn't exciting. i went to one pref...i knew this was the house for me from day 1, etc. plus there were only 4 groups on campus.

i did have 3 sisters who did not get their first choice. phi mu was 2nd. one of the girls in my phi class really wanted axo, but didn't get a bid. she spent the whole bid day crying. sisters were trying to make her feel better and the rest of her phi class did as well. by the end of the day, she realized that she was with the group that she really belonged to. she ended up really enjoying her collegiate years.

the following year, there were two phis who didn't get their first choice. one was a phi mu legacy and she had been quite torn between phi mu and axo throughout the whole week. the first hour or so of bid day was really tough for her, but she knew so many of us really and truly wanted her to be there, plus her two roomies were also phis.....and she realized how excited her sister was going to be....so she pulled it together and had a blast. she became a very dedicated and wonderful sister!!! now, she is an advisor for a different chapter! hurray!

the third person who i know didn't get her first choice really didn't think to much about it. she was disappointed at first, but she knew that she wouldn't have been happy in that other group. she also became a very dedicated sister and is still involved even after graduation!
Old 05-25-2003, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Got my first choice! Before rush I wanted to join the same sorority my older sisters were in, but as soon as rush started that all changed. Almost everyone in my pledge class got their first choice; in fact, I was one of the few who didn't "intentional single preference" (why can't we just say suicide anymore?).
Old 05-25-2003, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DPsiSigKap
I definately got my first choice. I knew I wanted Sigma Kappa the day I stepped foot on my campus freshman year. So I rushed in the spring and with final rounds came, that was the only party I wanted to go to. And they wanted me just as bad

Diamonds are pretty and so are pearls, but nothing compares to us Sigma K girls!
Old 05-26-2003, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Being a junior, I've been privileged (and sometimes I think handicapped) to observe the chapters that we have on campus. I can honestly say that I would be happy with any of them, with the possible exception of one. I have met wonderful girls in each of them, and some not so wonderful girls in each. They all have different strengths and different weaknesses, and if I am aware of some of these already, I can't wait to see what I think during recruitment!

I honestly do not have a first choice, do or die, "I want this one so much that it'll kill me if I don't get it" chapter.

I love ABC because they are so awesome with their philanthropy.

I love DE because the girls are SO friendly, diverse, down to earth, easy to be with, and accepting.

I have a wonderful impression of FGH because one saw me walking from an observation in the rain, and not only did she stop to give me a ride, she was the sweetest persone I'd ever met!

I haved just loved every IJK I have ever met, and there was one active in particular that helped me through some rough times with my family. Every IJK, even the ones here on GC, have filled me with respect.

I love LMN because they are all so sweet, and because their philanthropy hits so close to home. I have never met one I didn't like.

I love OP because, once again, their philanthropy is awesome, they have an amazing school spirit, a very strong sisterhood, and I had a roommate that belonged to them who was my all time favorite person.

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other of QR, but I can't wait to form one.

WOW that was LONG.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:17 AM

I did get my first choice, but I didn't have my heart set on going where I went. I think I would have been perfectly happy going through college as a sister in my second choice sorority.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I definately got my first choice!

I rushed Spring 03 (informal) and I loved everything about our ADPi chapter. The women were very welcoming, nice, down-to-earth, and I really felt like they were the ones for me. I felt like they were the perfect fit for me, and it turns out they were
Old 05-26-2003, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I did, but in a roundabout way. My frosh year I was going to go through formal until I found out TPA wasn't recolonizing because I wanted to be in the penguin sorority. We dropped formal after they left because Gamma Phi was the only NPC left. Then over the summer, up until people started moving into the dorms, I was pretty convinced that I was going to rush one of our locals, just because they were the biggest and most "popular" in my GDI eyes. I thought the other local hazed too badly and didn't want to be in CERES. I changed my mind as soon as I saw a friend from my wing last year moving in - she rolled up with her Gamma Phi letters on her car and seemed so excited to see me again. I remembered the last year when all the girls in the locals that were pledging had to do stupid isht and carry big ugly pledge books and Cassie just got presents and was always SO excited to go to Gamma Phi activities. I told her I wanted to rush Gamma Phi instead of the local and she was incredibly excited. Now, I'm so glad I impulsively changed my mind!
Old 05-26-2003, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
I did get my first choice. (Kinda. I went through informal recritment during a colonization.)

Realistically, if I hadn't been offered a bid for Kappa, I would have likely not gone through any other recriutment. I had major reservations about going through formal recruitment as a junior.

However, I think I would cry pretty intensely about not getting my first choice initially, and then suck it up and really enjoy my second choice. That's just the way I do. I beleive I could probably be happy in a majority of the groups at my school.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I went through informal rush, got my bids, and made my decision. Yes, I got my first choice. I was thrilled to receive my bids.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Quote:
Originally posted by uwgirl
I ended up dropping rush in the fall because I went to pref night for a sorority I could tell I wouldn't have been happy in. I was really disappointed, but it was for the best so I tried going through spring rush and sure enough, I got my top choice from the fall and of course again in the spring...Chi Omega!
Hey, girl! You sort of dropped off the face of the earth for a while after rush last year. I'm really happy to see that all of my fellow Madison chicas are in the right place-- Sugar & Spice in Tri Delta, BadgerRushee in Theta, and now you in Chi O! Yay!

I did get my first choice-- I watched the sororities for a year and then rushed Kappa alone during informal my sophomore year. It was the Kappas, my big sis especially, who made me see that Greek was a good thing to be, and that Kappa was the right place for me (look, a rhyme!). I know that if I hadn't gotten a Kappa bid, I'd still be independent.

Quote:
Originally posted by sherbertlemons
I think I would cry pretty intensely about not getting my first choice initially, and then suck it up and really enjoy my second choice. That's just the way I do.
Agreed. I often wonder what would have happened if I'd've gone through formal recruitment. Realistically, knowing what I know now about the rushing styles and the personalities of the groups on campus, I'm pretty sure that I'd either be a Kappa or one other (we have three), and I'm pretty sure I could've been happy there, too.

But hey, I truly believe that everything works out the way it's supposed to, and many things have happened since to show me that Kappa's the place for me!
Old 05-26-2003, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes and no.

Tri Delta wasn't my favorite at first, but my favorite dropped me right before Pref. By the time I'd gone through the Pref ceremony at Tri Delta, though, I knew that I wanted to be there. I put it first on my Pref sheet and was absolutely thrilled when I got my bid from them on Bid Day.

I was a little upset about being cut by my favorite, but I quickly came to realize that I wouldn't have really fit in there the way I thought I would. Of all the sororities on my campus, Tri Delta is definitely the best fit for me.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Originally posted by erniegurl00
Quote:
Hmm..yes and no I suppose. Before rush began I was set on Pi Phi. During rush I really liked another sorority, but in the end I did become a Pi Phi. Admittedly, I was disappointed when my at the time first choice released me, but at Bid Day I saw that I was home.
Originally posted by hopefulgreek
Quote:
The house I had thought I wanted to join pre-rush and into several parties dropped me. But, I ended up getting the house I wanted after prefs.
My situation was sorta like erniegurl's and hopefulgreek's, I did not rush as a freshman and I had my heart set on Kappa Alpha Theta prior to and during rush -- my best best best friend in the world was a Theta and I just loved that house...but sadly they dropped me right before Pref...I was pretty upset...but I tried not to let it crush me -- my 2nd choice all thru rush was Gamma Phi Beta...after Theta dropped me, Gamma Phi became my 1st choice -- you see, I finally was able to realize after Theta dropped me that I had a ton of friends in Gamma Phi who all were proud of me -- even being the ROTC cadet and band geek that I was!! Whereas at Theta I just basically had that one best friend and some acquaintances...Gamma Phi Beta wanted me all along and they were my first choice after Pref and to this day I am 100% certain I am where I belong!!!

Ironically, my real little sister is a Theta! Go figure!