GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,131
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodap
» Online Users: 1,261
2 members and 1,259 guests
navane, Yodap

Old 01-28-2004, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face The Littlest Groom ~ 2.16.04 on FOX

FOX to air 'The Littlest Groom' reality miniseries on February 16 & 23

More Miscellaneous Reality TV News
By Steve Rogers, 01/28/2004

Just when you thought FOX had sunk about as low as it could go with its new My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance reality prank show, the network has announced plans to air The Littlest Groom, an Average Joe-like two-part reality miniseries in which a vertically-challenged 4'5" man searches for love among women of similar height... only to later discover he'll also have some average-sized women competing for his heart.

Airing over two nights on February 16 and 23 at 8 PM ET as a lead-in to the final two episodes of FOX's six episode Fiance series, The Littlest Groom, will, according to FOX, answer the question of whether "your height determine whom you find attractive." Dani Behr, who hosted Bravo's Boy Meets Boy gay bachelor series, will host the program.

During the first hour airing on February 16, The Littlest Groom follows Glen, a 23-year-old salesman and little person who is searching for true love. Glen will be introduced to a group of 12 women - all of them little people like himself - to begin his search for that special someone. In one-on-one dates and group activities, Glen will get to know his potential partners and narrow down his choices to those with whom he feels the strongest connection. But after some of the women are eliminated, Glen's decision will suddenly become more complicated when his dating pool is expanded to include women of average height.

During the final hour airing on February 23, Glen will select two women who will compete to win his heart. Ultimately, he will have to make a final decision, choosing the one woman with whom he is truly compatible.

The Littlest Groom is being produced by LMNO, the folks who brought your other previous distasters such as FOX's Boot Camp series. Eric Schotz and Bill Paolantonio serve as executive producers. Tracy Green serves as co-executive producer with Scott Messick directing.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
I have to check this one out.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 01-28-2004, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My sister is an achondroplastic dwarf, and at 24, she's barely 4'1". I know its just another variant in the endless parade of reality dating shows, but putting little people on display just bothers me.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, who's watching???

I'll admit to it........
Old 02-16-2004, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm watching....

While i'm sure we could come up with a huge list of negatives, it's giving a lot of exposure to "little people." MTV's True Life brought them into light somewhat, this is much more exposure.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I think a lot of the girls are really pretty.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of them have some damn cute clothes!

Very random question, are there companies that specifically market towards "little people" (sorry if that's not a PC term, I just don't know which to use because there are so many forms and variances), or do many get their clothing made for them?
Old 02-16-2004, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Kddani, Little Person is the PC term.

I watch it with my mom and sister. We are intersted and will watch next week. I can't believe they brought in those "average" girls.

"average" my butt!
Old 02-16-2004, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
What was not average about them? I didn't see the show.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainbowbrightCS
Kddani, Little Person is the PC term.

I watch it with my mom and sister. We are intersted and will watch next week. I can't believe they brought in those "average" girls.

"average" my butt!
Old 02-16-2004, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
There seems like something wrong with the whole idea . . . .

It capitalizes on the "freak show" mentality of a circus or carnival. But hey, its a good technique, kind of like making a shbow about disasters and accidents a lot of people feel compelled to watch.

Luckily I am not one of them.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
What was not average about them? I didn't see the show.
Well the average girls as the show called them are tall thin and very pretty. My mom said the blonde reminded her of Pamela Anderson...
Old 02-17-2004, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I caught this today by accident. I could not believe how quickly he was eliminating girls, but then realized it was only a two-episode show. Unless the show was taped over the course of more than two weeks, it's way too soon for anybody to be proposing.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Just like sorority life, fraternity life, Real World, Road Rules, etc.... these people, just like "normal" (for lack of better word), are putting themselves out there.

If anything it could show the world that they are just the same as someone who is 5'5.

KLTC
Old 02-17-2004, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00

If anything it could show the world that they are just the same as someone who is 5'5.
Yep. Just like the rest of America, the little people on this show are willing to sell themselves for reality TV. People's desperation for their 15 minutes of fame doesn't have a height requirement.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Some of them have some damn cute clothes!

Very random question, are there companies that specifically market towards "little people" (sorry if that's not a PC term, I just don't know which to use because there are so many forms and variances), or do many get their clothing made for them?
Little people/little person is the preffered term for someone of short stature, and average is preffered for non-short people, rather than "normal."

As far as clothes, it varies on how severe your dwarfism is. My sister is a "tall" dwarf and can buy regular clothes at the store, and then just have the arms and legs hemmed to make them fit. Sometimes, she can find clothes that fit right of the rack. I know that the capri style pants that are in fashion right now are a perfect fit on her as full length pants, and shirts with a 3/4 sleeve are perfect long sleeved shirts. Shorter little people, or those with additional complications/disfigurements will have a harder time finding clothing in stores, and will make their own.