GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,546
2 members and 2,544 guests
Cookiez17, indisigma00

Old 02-26-2001, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Mardi Gras

Its Mardi Gras time and I'm soooooo excited! I love this holiday!! Not just because we get off school, but because its a great time to be with friends and family and just have fun!

If any of ya'll have been down to NOLA for Mardi Gras, share your stories. If you haven't been here, you really should come! There is something for everyone - you don't have to be into the racous Burbon Street scene to have a great time!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-26-2001, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by juniorgrrl:
Its Mardi Gras time and I'm soooooo excited! I love this holiday!! Not just because we get off school, but because its a great time to be with friends and family and just have fun!

If any of ya'll have been down to NOLA for Mardi Gras, share your stories. If you haven't been here, you really should come! There is something for everyone - you don't have to be into the racous Burbon Street scene to have a great time!

I'm down there this year... it will be my 4th time attending. This year I got an invite to throw beads from a float! Should be fun to be on the other side of the parade!
Good times... good times...
Old 02-26-2001, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I am a Mardi Gras virgin, so Mobile is crazy enough as it is. I went to a parade the other day and actually got a pair of Mardi Gras panties, but some kleptomaniac four year old stole them. And I almost got knowcked unconsious when some guy jumped over me to grab some beads out of my hands - he elbowed me on the very top of my head and took the beads! I thought it was pretty silly, but whatever...

Isn't Mardi Gras the strangest holiday. Basically its - Hey! Let's sin ALL we can before we have to Lent. Kinda funny huh? But I am having fun! No school tomorrow!

Allie

------------------
Some of my collegues think that the chemicals we are experimenting with cause brain damage, however I think that fish crunchy bits of salami my new red hippie noodle. Naked pool frogs?
Old 02-26-2001, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
ok, one of my brothers is from NO (a rarity in boston to say the least . . . everyone comments on how 'slow' he speaks, it's a riot), so a bunch of us were going to go . . . but i had a test friday and another today so i had to give up my ticket. so my brothers, ever considerate, made sure to call me after my test friday nite from bourbon street, just to let me know what i was missing. thanks guys - aekdb . . . school sucks
Old 03-04-2001, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Wanted everyone to know that MardiGras was great! Who all made it down this year?
I got to be on a float this year (#25 to be exact)... I was amazed at some of the crazy stuff I got to see; stuff I couldn't see while in the crowd... people are nuts!

Old 03-04-2001, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I am going in 2003!! I'm starting to collect beads now
Old 03-04-2001, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Someday I'd like to check it out too. Possibly... I'm not crazy about being in those crowds pushed together. I'm kind of over that scene. What I'd really like to check out is Rio De Janiro(sp?). In April I think they have a parade called Carnival. My dad grew up there and I think that would be a fun trip.

Kevin
Old 03-10-2001, 03:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Billy,

Don't worry about collecting beads now...you'll get plenty while you are there.
Old 03-18-2001, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mentos:
Hey Billy,

Don't worry about collecting beads now...you'll get plenty while you are there.
I want to be the king

Old 03-19-2001, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Billy, whatever you do, do NOT pay for beads in the french quarter. They sell for several dollars a strand, which is insane. If you really want to get beads before a parade, and you have a car, ask for directions to a place that sells Mardi Gras beads and other things. You can get them by the dozen, or the gross for much cheaper than you would in a souveneir shop.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey!!! Juniorgrrl...you're right. They sell those beads in the Quarter for wayyyyy too much. My friend made the mistake of buying a STRAND one time and the beads just EIGHT BUCKS!!! I thought that was outrageous. Anyways--for those of you who have never been to Mardi Gras. It's an awesome and crazy experience.

Miami1839--I've heard about Carnival too and I'd really like to go experience it some day. I've seen shows about it on the Travel Channel and it looks like more fun than Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

Allison

------------------
~A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition~
Old 03-19-2001, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by localsororities:

As I re-read this post checking for typo's, I realized how silly it sound when I try to tell the story, but I don't care. Mardi Gras was awesome, and I would recommend anyone go at least once (and wear washable closed toed shoes )

YES YES YES! Do not EVER wear open-toed shoes to Mardi Gras, lest you get some very unpleasant surprises on your feet. Especially in the French Quarter. Its not so bad along the St. Charles parade route, but its still dirty.

All the locals have "mardi gras shoes" which means you wear them once, and then throw them away, or wear them again next mardi gras. The shoes I wore for mardi gras this year are still sitting in the garage
Old 03-19-2001, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Cool

I usually don't go to Mardi Gras because we live on a parde route. This year I decided to go because my best friend from Dallas was coming down to visit. So anyway,and the two paraded we went to othe first night,we decided to walk on Burbon Street. My god,there were so many people on Burbon it was on real. So anyway,we were walking on Burbon and I has on tennis shoes that had long laces. Well, my friend stepped on one of my laces as we were walking and by the time we got to a semi-clear spot on Burbon for me to tie my shoe, the laces were all black and nasty. I had to get new shoes the very next day
Old 03-20-2001, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by juniorgrrl:
Billy, whatever you do, do NOT pay for beads in the french quarter. They sell for several dollars a strand, which is insane. If you really want to get beads before a parade, and you have a car, ask for directions to a place that sells Mardi Gras beads and other things. You can get them by the dozen, or the gross for much cheaper than you would in a souveneir shop.

Thanks I was thinking the dollar store or somewhere like that. Also, i know places at the beach that have them for cheap.