GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 672
0 members and 672 guests
No Members online

Old 06-18-2011, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile BLGO sorority and service sorority

Im considering joining omega phi alpha which is a service sorority because community service is important to me. I have aspirations of joining an NPHC sorority after I graduate only because I do not feel that if given the opportunity right now I wouldn't meet the standards that they uphold. My question is if I join OPHIA will it hurt my chances of being invited to join a graduate chapter of an NPHC sorority? I've literally been researching for years but I'm just curious to know what actual NPHC members feel about service GLOs
Old 06-18-2011, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread should help you out. It's stickied at the top of this forum. (Personally, I know plenty of OPhiAs who are also BGLO members.)
Old 06-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole48 View Post
Im considering joining omega phi alpha which is a service sorority because community service is important to me. I have aspirations of joining an NPHC sorority after I graduate only because I do not feel that if given the opportunity right now I wouldn't meet the standards that they uphold. My question is if I join OPHIA will it hurt my chances of being invited to join a graduate chapter of an NPHC sorority? I've literally been researching for years but I'm just curious to know what actual NPHC members feel about service GLOs
BGLO and not BLGO. There are a few things about your post that make me cringe but whatever.

If you have been researching for years, you should already know the formal answer to this question. And you know how to talk to NPHCers in real life.

Informally, only the members of the specific sorority chapter can answer that question.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

As best as I can tell, the following is true. "The only organizations as an undergraduate student that you could belong to that would affect your ability according to by-laws to join an NPHC sorority (either later as a undergraduate or as an alumni) are those which are allowed by law to be women only". Since Omega Phi Alpha as well as other non-social sororities such as Tau Beta Sigma and Delta Omicron allow men, they should be OK.

The oddball exception here appears to be Sigma Alpha Iota Music Sorority. It is a member of the Professional Fraternity Association (but not NPC or NPHC), but has a Title IX exemption to only admit women (Like Phi Mu Alpha's to only admit men). According to http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...56&postcount=9 , one of the posters has a chapter sister in both SAI and DST.

What individual sisters would think in terms of membership in specific organization, you'd have to ask them...

Last edited by naraht; 06-18-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: add the found example of dual membership.