GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,879
1 members and 1,878 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-12-2000, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Question So why did choose a fledgling organization?

The established greek system, after all, offers a lot of advantages that newer organizations cannot (the spirit of tradition, alumni networking & support, a strong national organizational structure, funds for scholarships, etc.).

Yet new organizations are being founded and are growing, left and right. What is the inspiration for choosing a young organization, what kind of goals and ideals does your organizations that you didn't find in any established organization?

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 08-12-2000, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Yet new organizations are being founded and are growing, left and right. What is the inspiration for choosing a young organization, what kind of goals and ideals does your organizations that you didn't find in any established organization?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, time and time again I've considered joining an established sorority. Honestly, it seems easier in a way to be able to just "walk in" to everything and having someone show you how and what to do with everything - there's nearly always a precedent. Establishing a chapter here is a lot of work, much of which is done in the dark.

The main thing I found with my target organization that I couldn't find with others was a strong Asian represetnation. I've enjoyed my experience coming to college and for the first time being surrounded by Asians and Asian-Americans. I want to enhance that as well as make sure the future Asian women on this campus also have that opportunity. If they want to go greek, I want to make sure there is a place for htem on this campus.

Old 08-13-2000, 05:17 PM
Artimis

Many brotherhoods/sisterhoods that are represented here at greekchat.com have decades and decades of tradition and history establishing them as a strong force both on campus across the nation and as a network of support outside the college years. Mine sorority only sports 11 years and a light sprinkling of sisters across the US.

I envy at times the years of tradition that the older sisterhoods have. The idea that going into a new city - a support system is already in place.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't give up my sisterhood for years of tradition. On the flip side, I am having an oppertunity to MAKE that history. To be able to attend National Conventions and all sisters present have an opperunity to voice an opinion - not just through a delegate who is one of 100 voices. That in 50 years, I can look back and feel I had an impact on the lives of my sisters and that We as a group have traveled so far and that our sisterhood has reached so many!

I know my life would have been different had it not been for Alpha Sigma Kappa. And I just can't even image it!

------------------

Beta Chapter Alumna and Founder

Sisters by nature; Friends by Choice
Old 08-15-2000, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
I hear you both, Asia and Artimis. Engendering tradition is both satisfying and a bit frightening...I hope we can leave a rich, strong legacy for Sisters to come. It was difficult to say the least to establish a new Chapter, and to work in the dark...however it helped that our designated expansion representative from Nationals was always there for us, assuring us that we were doing well in realizing our goals, and also keeping within the ideals and standards of the Sisterhood.

What I found with A.S.K. is the opportunity to grow and sustain myself with other women who wanted to acheive the same kind of academic and professional goals that I have. While academic excellence is a priority in any greek organization, the professional emphasis usually isn't there. The fact that women are still very much a minority in many scientific fields, to the point of being the lone woman in a place of work, or in a project group, lead to the conviction that there needed to be an opportunity for women to have a society where they could just relax, be women, and yet relate the to high's and low's of their professional or academic day.

The important thing I learned through helping found a Chapter of my sisterhood is that ultimately, initiating a sisterhood is an opportunity - you can get back from it only what you put into it. Being a sister is a difficult road, yet one of the most rewarding. I wouldn't have it any other way!

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Old 08-22-2000, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm joining a "fledging" because i know it my heart it won't be one for long! There is a real need for the type of sisterhood it offers and I so look forward to being part of that! Plus I have a chance to make history and take an upbeaten path.