GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,088
1 members and 2,087 guests
TLLK

Old 08-08-2005, 12:57 PM
lovexashley25

private schools

can private schools not allow greek life? if not what is there to do?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2005, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer.

However, I work at a private school. To my knowledge, a private school can not allow greek life by either refusing to recognize the organization, or by refusing to recognize ANY organization that is designed to be a single sex organization, or by refusing to recognize ANY organization who's primary purpose (or "category") is purely social in nature (i.e. not a service org or an academic honor org). On a private campus, if you aren't a recognized organization, you might not be able to use campus facilities, sponsor events, advertise, or even wear letters on campus (some private schools have "attire guidelines").

Those are my guesses based on my work at a private school. However, each school chooses to recognize or not recognize National GLOs based on different reasons. We can't even BEGIN to speculate why your school doesn't. They may be perfectly happy with "coed service orgs" that are not nationally based and that just might have a Greek letter name. People define "Greeks" differently.

PsychTau
Old 08-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
That's correct. Private school can pretty much choose what kind of organization they allow on campus.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of private schools do have very strong greek life. Although they typically only have a handful of chapters because the campuses are significantly smaller than large universities. My private undergrad college had a very large greek life with more than 30% of women belonging to a sorority.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xxc0lie1xx
i go to a private school where greek live rules the campus... Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Fl. Because of the 9-1 guy to girl ratio, there are 9 fraternities and only 2 sororities (plus a colony), but it works. I guess were really lucky because our school really helps us out with whatever we need, but im sure there are some private schools that dont allow it.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

It would depend on the School as seen above.

William-Jewell in Mo. has a large Greek Population and Centel Methodist in Mo. just opened up to National Greeks after many Years.

carnations College,in Ga. while had nothing but Locals, decided to go with Nationals.

A lot would depend on the Adm. Status and feelings. Some beleive Greeks are evil, others find that there is a defenite need for Greek Type of Organizatins.

There is also a fine line when it comes to whether Said College gets any Federal or State funding and what the agreements are.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-28-2005, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTDD2002
I'm a member of a sorority at a private school. We have aproximately 1500 students on campus, 18% of which are Greek. We have 7 fraternities and 4 sororities, of which 4 organizations are local organizations.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Private schools can do whatever the heck they want so long as they are not discriminating against you on the basis of race, color, creed, etc.

Membership to an organization though? Sure!

Many private universities have removed Greek organizations by threatening expulsion of anyone that continues to operate such an organization.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-28-2005, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Private schools (those which receive absolutely no money from any government entity or foundation) can discriminate in anything that they do. A good example is Bob Jones University, a highly religious private institution.
Although they have gotten rid of their racial discrimination, which lasted from 1927 to the 80's, due to tax status reasons [see 461 U.S. 574 (1983)], they still discriminate based on gender, sexual orientation, and religion. [see their nondiscrimination policy at: http://www.bju.edu/admissions/nondiscrim.html
Basically, private schools can do what they want to do.

Similarily, churches can discriminate their hiring practices to those who are church members without getting in trouble.