GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,324
2 members and 2,322 guests
No Members online

Old 01-15-2017, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC/IUMAMA View Post
My daughter has 2 choices as of today. One housed, one unhoused. She likes both groups of girls. Her concern is what the sisterhood is like in an unhoused sorority? That is what she is looking forward to is that family feeling, being with her sisters. Any useful info I can tell her? I hate to have her just put down 1 house after today...
Any info on when/if any of the unhoused will be getting housing?
If she likes both groups of girls and is looking forward to sisterhood, I would urge her as strongly as I could to put both houses down. The unhoused sororities at Indiana don't have a less meaningful sisterhood just because they don't have a house. There is so much more that goes on in a sisterhood besides having a sorority house.

Unhoused chapters are just as involved in sisterhood, leadership, social activities, and activities around campus as housed chapters. I graduated from IU, and I have friends who loved their experiences in their unhoused chapters and would say that their experiences were equally great to the girls in the housed chapters. Not to mention that girls in unhoused sororities can still live together in apartment blocks or houses, which would be very similar to living in a house together.

Many PNMs at Indiana think that they might not get the true sorority experience without having a sorority house, but that is wrong. Sisterhood and a feeling of home don't require a house, and the benefits of that outweigh any physical structure that the chapter may or may not have.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-15-2017, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a former coworker whose daughter is a TPA and loves it. Their sisterhood is amazing.

As for the women that are dropping, I am sitting with the the rho gammas during the parties. I've asked them about the girls dropping. Almost all of them have said that the girls that dropped had invitations back. They had chapters that wanted them back. But they are still chosing to drop without even giving the chapters a chance.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-15-2017, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

^Yes, that is what I have seen as well. They had 2-3 houses back that they didn't like and then dropped altogether.

So - just to clarify for my DD who is about to turn in her card to her rho gam...

If she maximizes her options with the three chapters she went to today, she is guaranteed a bid from one of them on Tuesday? I just don't want to tell her that and have her disappointed! And, if that's true, than good for IU for taking that step!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

That is what women have been told by their Rho Gams.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

I have sat with chapter reps in a Panhellenic room when they got their daily results back--i.e., when they could see how many girls wanted to come back to them. This was back when PNMs could cut chapters.

For several chapters, it was devastating. Watching their hopeful faces as they opened their envelopes, especially if they had put a major effort into their rush, and then...
Old 01-15-2017, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I had DD ask her rho gam about the guaranteed bid using QA and she said that was not the case. So, not sure what is true - she could be misinformed!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUMomma View Post
I had DD ask her rho gam about the guaranteed bid using QA and she said that was not the case. So, not sure what is true - she could be misinformed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
That is what women have been told by their Rho Gams.
Despite what may or may not be true, please allow your daughter to list the chapters she likes.

If she absolutely positively cannot see herself in one of the three she has (but you mentioned she worked hard at keeping an open mind) then allow her to list only two. That will reduce her chances at getting a bid by one-third, but she will be happier in the end if she doesn't have to run on bid day to a chapter she does not want.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

She did list all three - absolutely!

Fortunately for her, two were her favorites all along and one is a chapter she would be comfortable with. It was more to tell her she could let down her guard a little. It has been an overwhelmingly stressful 10 days and if she knew she had done her job and something good was coming, I think it would help.

Both her roommate and another friend dropped today (didn't like the 2 houses they got back) so it's been a roller coaster for her from joy with her list to sadness for the decision they chose to make.

So much anxiety, stress and emotion!
Old 01-15-2017, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Brrr! IU needs to switch to fall recruitment. Why do they wait for January?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
The last time changing recruitment was discussed, the chapters were given a fall option- but it would have meant doing all of recruitment during the week of fall break in October. The chapters decided to move to completely differed recruitment.

There was a time when the open house rounds were held in early December and the rest of recruitment was in January. PanHellenic received a lot of negative feedback from parents and the school newspaper because the weekend was stressful and it wasn't "fair" to have recruitment during classes.

Since the majority of women sign up for recruitment once they are already on campus, I think moving to before school starts would cause many women that end up going through to miss the opportunity. but that's just my opinion.
Doesn't having one semester of school (including good grades) prior to Winter Recruitment also have a positive impact on IU's sorority membership retention rates?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Tonight is bid night. So excited for my women! Hopefully it is Good News Tuesday for all of the PNMs that stuck with the process and kept an open mind!

Old 01-17-2017, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Timing?

Anyone have information on the timing of today? I was told those with no bids would get phone calls? How about those who do receive bids... out of state and going crazy waiting!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I haven't heard of a specific time? DD's rho gam just said she would be in the dorm to tell them whether they had a bid or not sometime this evening.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC/IUMAMA View Post
Anyone have information on the timing of today? I was told those with no bids would get phone calls? How about those who do receive bids... out of state and going crazy waiting!
From what I understand, if they don't get a phone call, then they are to report to the tennis center on Fee Lane at I believe 7pm. They will have Rho Gamma reveal and then they will all receive their bid cards and open them all together.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad they have gone to a reveal like this! In my opinion it's much better than they way they have done it recently!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there a timeline for the calls? Such as by 1pm?