GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,552
2 members and 1,550 guests
MethrenLusia, PGD-GRAD

Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

help transferring to school with no chapter

I am transferring to a school who's chapter of my fraternity is inactive and not recognized by the national org. I really love the Greek life and want that experience to continue at the new school but hear I can not join another frat. Is it possible to withdraw from a frat and join a different one at the new school as the frat I am in is not present there?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
I am transferring to a school who's chapter of my fraternity is inactive and not recognized by the national org. I really love the Greek life and want that experience to continue at the new school but hear I can not join another frat. Is it possible to withdraw from a frat and join a different one at the new school as the frat I am in is not present there?
First of all, it sucks that your love is for Greek Life and not your fraternity. You are the kind of member many GLOs despise. If you loved your fraternity you would not want to withdraw and instead would ask your fraternity if there are policies and procedures to remain a member at this institution.

Second of all, you need to contact your fraternity to ask this question. They would love to hear it.

Last edited by DrPhil; 12-31-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Amen, Phil!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Love my brothers and frat but needed to transfer. I guess neither one of you joined your frat for social reasons although this is why most do. I bet you both had / have chapters at you instituition your entire time. Thanks for the help
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Love my brothers and frat but needed to transfer. I guess neither one of you joined your frat for social reasons although this is why most do. I bet you both had / have chapters at you instituition your entire time. Thanks for the help
You sound angry. And, honestly, a little bit childish as well. In your first post you stated that you "love the Greek life", not your fraternity specifically. So that's what people are responding to, Chazz. And your focus on the social aspect lends more credence to that perception.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-31-2013, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you really think that any other fraternity on campus would want to pledge a man who has broken the vows he made to his fraternity? Probably not.

If you renege on your original fraternity vows, you will have forever broken your connection to the organization that offered you a brotherhood. You may or may not get a bid from another fraternity. That will leave you with nothing.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

You are not the first snowflake that has had to transfer to a school that doesn't have a chapter of your GLO. I had to transfer to a school without a chapter of my sorority, and it did suck. I missed my sorority, but it never would have crossed my mind to try to pledge another group. You'll find other ways to be involved. It's not a social death sentence.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Banned

Chazz is the only person who has ever had this plight. I wonder why some GLOs have policies for this since this has only happened to Chazz.

I have Sorors who had to transfer the semester after initiation, some of whom transferred to schools without chapters (never chartered or charter revoked) or with indefinitely suspended chapters. They contacted our NHQ about remaining financial and contacted the chapter closest to the school (some cities and states have a lot of colleges and universities) to see whether they could participate in service and social events.

Other than that, anyone who needs GLO membership to participate in service and social events is a lame person who only became somewhat interesting because of a GLO. Bad news.

Last edited by DrPhil; 12-31-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Let's give Chazz a little leeway here. He is likely 18 or 19 years old, and not thinking about his experience with the same eyes we are. Let's face it; like it or not, most people join a Greek organization for the social aspect. It's a fact of life. Chazz would like to continue his social life at his new school. If you're initiated Chazz, you'll likely need to do that without your fraternity. You should contact your national organization to know all of your options.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Banned

Since Chazz came to GC rather than going to his fraternity or new school's Greek Life Office: If you build it, they will come.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I am transferring to a school whose chapter of my fraternity is inactive and not recognized by the national org.
(edited for spelling/grammar)

This kind of sounds like the chapter at New U. is running underground. Is that the case?

At any rate, if you want to try withdrawing from the fraternity you initiated into, you can contact your national office, but be aware that:

1. This may not be an option.
2. If it is an option, there may be fraternities at your new school that you want to join that don't allow men to pledge who have previously been members of other NIC organizations.
3. Even if none of the fraternities have that sort of rule on the books, they may just not want to give you a bid, and then not only do you have no new fraternity, you may have pissed off the members of the old one, as well. If you try to go through the resignation process, DEFINITELY talk it over with your chapter brothers. They may be completely understanding if you're straight up with them, but if you're all of a sudden posting on whatever it is the kids post on now about going through fraternity rush at New U., and didn't let them know, they may see it as a personal affront.

Do not, whatever you do, lie about your affiliation.

There's also the possibility that the Greek system at your new school is VERY different than that at your old school and you wouldn't want to be involved even if your fraternity did have a chapter there. These are all things to think about before you do anything publicly.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Many of the people here on GC take the whole lifetime commitment thing very seriously. Yes we join for the social interactions, but many of us develop a love for our chapter and our Brothers in the process of pledging. Not only did I transfer to a school without a Psi U chapter, the closest chapter was something like 300 miles away, and I honestly think I was the only Psi U in the entire state. Yes it sucked, and there were times where I kind of wished to join another fraternity. But I never once considered resigning my membership in Psi Upsilon, because of the love I have for my chapter and my Brothers. I just found other social outlets instead.