GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,183
1 members and 2,182 guests
No Members online

Old 04-16-2001, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up What are references?

I recently talked to an alum who offered to write me a rec for her sorority! The advice yall gave me has been so awesome...I went to a national site and got the e-mail for a local panhel. alumni group. The lady who answered asked me for several things, all of which I have, except for REFERENCES...I need to know, what exactly does she mean? Like character references? Things that teachers or bosses (or the other lady who offered to write me a rec but her sorority was not on my campus) might say for me? I don't want to send in something completely different than she's expecting. Come on, Greek women, I need your help! This is all SO exciting.

[This message has been edited by orchid2 (edited April 16, 2001).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-16-2001, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Orchid2,
References are just a simple letter of recommendation. Most NPC groups require that every potential new member have at least one reference from a member of that sorority. For example, if your Aunt Sue was a member of BBB at State U. and you are going through rush at another campus where there is an BBB chapter, your Aunt could write a letter of reference for you.

You might want to go to the Rush forum and read my Recruitment FAQ - letters of reference are covered along with other important information about NPC and NPHC recruitment.
Old 04-16-2001, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PnguinTrax:
Orchid2,
References are just a simple letter of recommendation. Most NPC groups require that every potential new member have at least one reference from a member of that sorority. For example, if your Aunt Sue was a member of BBB at State U. and you are going through rush at another campus where there is an BBB chapter, your Aunt could write a letter of reference for you.

You might want to go to the Rush forum and read my Recruitment FAQ - letters of reference are covered along with other important information about NPC and NPHC recruitment.

I'm wondering if we're talking about the same thing... she said that these references would be what I would need to send to her -- so she COULD write me a recommendation. I thought she was talking about character references, maybe the same as if I were applying for a job? Or am I completely off here?
Old 04-16-2001, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
It sounds like this woman doesn't know you very well, so she is asking you to get character references from others and, using those, will write a letter about you as if it were from her and she knows you. So, yes, she wants your teachers, pastor/rabbi, etc. to write a letter about you and she will use that information to write her letter of recommendation.

Barbara