GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,248
1 members and 2,247 guests
No Members online

Old 04-12-2011, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Total side note- this happened when I was a freshman. The Treasurer didn't make grades, and I am 99% sure that she was told she was still in the sorority and still had her duties to perform, it's just that she couldn't do any of the actual "fun" stuff, including basically anything else that dealt with the sorority, for the rest of the semester. I'm sure you can all guess what her reply was.
We require members to make a semester GPA .2 higher than the chapter minimum in order to hold executive office or a judicial spot. If they don't we usually ask them to resign their position and we elect someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriana View Post
There are ways to make exceptions for women with extenuating circumstance, but it's not so lenient that we have a problem with everyone paying dues late.
The last member we allowed to have a payment plan racked up $587 in debt-only bought one shirt so the balance is odd and our new VPF lost the copy of the plan for a while so we didn't know how bad it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Not to say you don't need a dues increase, but have you looked at doing payment plans that reward early payments/punish later payments? For example, if you pay the whole semester up-front, you pay $1500/semester, but if you don't pay up-front, you pay $400/month for 4 months.
Oh we do need an increase. We increased a yearly total of $100 last fall to $900, and IMO we need to increase by another 150-200 so we can afford to offer those types of incentives. Everyone is griping about dues going up because they are used to paying out of pocket for events at their option, "nickel and diming," etc, and then COMPLAINING that our events are low-quality, instead of paying through their dues and having higher quality events b/c everyone would be pitching in. Granted, money doesn't = fun but it provides comfort, security, and an appearance of class. Paying bills and eating sardines while watching That 70's Show at the house isn't as fun as having formals, mixers, other events, though I have made some amazing memories here.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTKPinkWhalepq View Post
We require members to make a semester GPA .2 higher than the chapter minimum in order to hold executive office or a judicial spot. If they don't we usually ask them to resign their position and we elect someone else.
I REALLY respect that.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I REALLY respect that.
Ditto. I just remember my story as a side note- didn't think it'd actually be an option. Just thought it was somewhat amusing.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I REALLY respect that.
It sucks sometimes in a small chapter, but people stay focused on the important stuff when we enforce standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Ditto. I just remember my story as a side note- didn't think it'd actually be an option. Just thought it was somewhat amusing.
We did this to some actives a few years back. They didn't make grades again and both resigned from the chapter because they knew they'd be expelled for not making grades two semesters in a row. Don't like that bylaw either but when we follow it our GPA seems to improve/stay high.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh and I got in touch with OmegaFi! They gave me a quote and it was not bad at all. Way less than 10%. If out Alumni Corporation consents we're going to have them collect rent too. Hopefully this is the start of a beautiful relationship :P
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
We did this to some actives a few years back. They didn't make grades again and both resigned from the chapter because they knew they'd be expelled for not making grades two semesters in a row. Don't like that bylaw either but when we follow it our GPA seems to improve/stay high.
Wait, you throw girls out for not making grades two semesters in a row? Are you an NPC group?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Wait, you throw girls out for not making grades two semesters in a row? Are you an NPC group?

No definitely not...we're actually IFC

Our national minimum is a 2.6 beginning next semester. Our local minimun was already a 2.6.

And we do allow them to be reinstated but only once, for any reason.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Just thought I would update the thread: My chapter will probably refuse to use OmegaFi. We have an Econ major who has demonstrated that it is more cost effective to enforce our bylaws concerning collection, suspension, and expulsion, and even to write off some losses if need be. I'm kinda bummed out because we're missing out on that $$, the alumni board is bitching at us ( by us I mean me, it just makes me feel better to pretend that the frustration is directed at the other officers as well) because they're having trouble collecting rent from the brothers living in the house. ****
Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Kevin, what kind of action did your chapter take to improve in numbers? We are training our Recruitment Committee this month with some Phired Up reps that the school paid for and some Alum are helping us with a freshman scholarship program
It's not just in recruitment, it's in retention. Both work hand in hand. You have to build an organization that people want to be a part of to the exclusion of others and that they want to stay a member of. And for that, it's all about creating a great first impression, creating a distinct image on campus and about building an internal culture to match that image. It's easier said than done.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just thought I would update the thread: My chapter will probably refuse to use OmegaFi. We have an Econ major who has demonstrated that it is more cost effective to enforce our bylaws concerning collection, suspension, and expulsion, and even to write off some losses if need be. I'm kinda bummed out because we're missing out on that $$, the alumni board is bitching at us ( by us I mean me, it just makes me feel better to pretend that the frustration is directed at the other officers as well) because they're having trouble collecting rent from the brothers living in the house. ****
I'd hold that econ major to it then. Yes, it's always cheaper if people would just pay. That goes without saying. But unless you're changing something with regard to enforcement, then nothing is going to change. In my experience, Omega Fi not only improved our collection rate, it also made the Treasurer position a lot easier.

In a chapter without Omega Fi, I imagine the financial performance of the chapter can vary widely, since you get a new treasurer every year. At least you can have probably the most important component of the Treasurer's job, realizing revenue, taken care of.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-23-2011, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's not just in recruitment, it's in retention. Both work hand in hand. You have to build an organization that people want to be a part of to the exclusion of others and that they want to stay a member of. And for that, it's all about creating a great first impression, creating a distinct image on campus and about building an internal culture to match that image. It's easier said than done.
We make an awesome first impression is what most of our recruits have told me, whether they joined or not. The main problem we have is having a distinct (favorable) image and an internal culture that is consistent with that. The friends I made recruiting that went elsewhere always pointed out that we sell something different from every chapter on campus, but we're not living up to the image we sell, and that became apparent as they got to know us over time.

Do you know any chapters that have dealt with this issue?

We're the smallest chapter on campus so we have a great chance to align ourselves with the image we want. Average size on campus is 45+, and we'll have 17 or 18 going into this fall.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'd hold that econ major to it then. Yes, it's always cheaper if people would just pay. That goes without saying. But unless you're changing something with regard to enforcement, then nothing is going to change. In my experience, Omega Fi not only improved our collection rate, it also made the Treasurer position a lot easier.

In a chapter without Omega Fi, I imagine the financial performance of the chapter can vary widely, since you get a new treasurer every year. At least you can have probably the most important component of the Treasurer's job, realizing revenue, taken care of.
I told him that we needed to ensure collections not only from current members but from guys that leave with outstanding balances, and he just emphasized that we can't afford the short-term losses of Omega's 5% collection fee they quoted and we should just write off those losses. He's got more knowledge on the topic and better public speaking skills than me so my plan is to get some older members, like our former Pres and VP Finance to present the case in Chapter for using the service.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I told him that we needed to ensure collections not only from current members but from guys that leave with outstanding balances, and he just emphasized that we can't afford the short-term losses of Omega's 5% collection fee they quoted and we should just write off those losses. He's got more knowledge on the topic and better public speaking skills than me so my plan is to get some older members, like our former Pres and VP Finance to present the case in Chapter for using the service.
Your econ major sounds like a complete goon. What's your current collection rate? OmegaFi claims that most chapters using their service have an average collection rate of 96% or better. At least, that's what my last Term Review, a document that they generate for us at the end of each semester which gives us an overall financial analysis of how our chapter did during the semester, stated. If your current collection rate is anything less than 91%, then, if your chapter performs on average with OmegaFi, then the service will be paying for itself. If your current collection rate is only 85%, and OmegaFi could get you 96%....well after taking out that 5% fee, what you know you would have a whole 6% more money than what you were pulling in on your own. You stated earlier that your yearly dues are $900 right? So currently $450 per semester? So that extra 6% you'd be pulling in is like pulling in an extra $27 per member. What else can you do with $27 per member? More programming? more parties? More chapter expenses that you haven't been able to afford before?

The service pays for itself. Not to mention the features. Online payments (okay, yeah, you could use google checkout or paypal, but guess what? you pay fees to use those too). Paper statements mailed home, and email notifications sent out. Not just a "hey dude, you owe $$XXX. Pay your bill." Plus, if parents are paying the bill rather than the student, they like the professional notification of a statement. And if the parent has questions about the bill, they call call OmegaFi, rather that trying to hunt down the treasurer of the chapter, who is a college student, who they "probably" don't have must trust in anyway....And what treasurer wants to talk to Brother Joe's parents about money anyway? I have no desire to talk to my sisters parent's: they are big girls, they can take care of themselves. If mom and dad pay their bill, that's between them. I just care that dues get paid...I don't care how.

So Econ Goon thinks 5% is not worth the features and benefits, huh? If dues at $900 per year, then 5% is $22.50 per semester..... So increase dues to $472.50 per semester to offset the cost. That's less than $6 a month if you bill in 4 monthly installments. If your members can't afford a $6 increase per month in order to benefit the whole chapter's financial situation which would also increase their quality of membership, then they have serious issues.

Last edited by ramsey; 04-23-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
While your econ major brother may be right, once he is out of the chapter the ability to do what he can do may be limited. What is great about Omega Fi is that they will be there beyond the current members and alumni/advisors, therefore able to hand these situations in the long term. Having this handled by someone who isn't a current member cuts down on internal issues. It now isn't a conflict between brothers, but a brother being handled by Omega Fi.

That 5% they take may or may not be less than the money your chapter would spend. When you look at the other costs, time mailing certified letters, filing in small claims court, kicking people out and all of the associated butt hurt and dramatics, that 5% may be worth it.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

One of the issues I frequently encountered with chapters who were having collections problems was that they didn't have the documentation required to use a collection agency. Omega builds all of that in so that there are invoices, etc. The threat of non-payment actually affecting a college student's credit rating gets them paying too. Additionally, collection agencies charge significantly more than 5%.

Enforcing payments usually means having to suspend the membership of a member or two before people start to take it seriously and you still don't get the money owed to you.

Pull some hard numbers to make your case. Figure out what that 5% means in dollars for your chapter and how much has gone uncollected.