GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,274
2 members and 1,272 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Yale: Largest Group of PNMs in Yale's History

Yale's Panhellenic is now using ICS software instead of hand-matching. It's also using RFM – the release figure method.

This year's number of PNMs is “the largest group in Yale's history,” according to an article in the Yalie Daily:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20...-goes-digital/

Excerpts:

By Jordi Gasso
Staff Reporter
Friday, January 28, 2011
With rush season underway, Yale’s Panhellenic Council has implemented a new online recruitment system to deal with the record number of girls rushing sororities.

This semester, the online recruitment software Interactive Collegiate Solutions has replaced the old paper-based method of matching pledges with their future sororities. Panhel President Stephanie Cuevas ’12 said the technology will streamline the process for the three sororities under the umbrella of Panhel — Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Beta Phi and Kappa Alpha Theta — in a year when 205 girls are rushing compared to last year’s 170. A new system of recruitment called the “release figure method,” she added, will also require the groups to make earlier cuts, right after the first round of get-togethers.

. . . Cuevas said earlier cuts will ultimately “create better match-ups” because sorority members will have more time to get to know the girls who make it to later rounds.

. . . Approximately 30 more girls are participating in the rush process than last year — the largest group in Yale’s history, Cuevas said. This upward trend in the number of pledges, which has held true the last several years, led Panhellenic to search for a more convenient way to handle the process, she added.

Despite the earlier cuts, the time-frame for recruitment remains the same as in previous years: three nights in one week where pledges attend events to meet the sisters in the three sororities and get to know the organizations. . . .

. . . Rushees hear back from Theta, Pi Phi and Kappa with final decisions this Monday.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
I would have thought a Yale journalist would have done enough research to know the difference between rushees (and probably should have called them "potential new members") and pledges.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
I would have thought a Yale journalist would have done enough research to know the difference between rushees (and probably should have called them "potential new members") and pledges.
Quite honestly, Greek life probably isn't on the writer's radar at all - he probably feels it beneath him and therefore really doesn't care if he gets it right.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Quite honestly, Greek life probably isn't on the writer's radar at all - he probably feels it beneath him and therefore really doesn't care if he gets it right.
Right. Also, it's not as if the student body--even the Greek students--cares that much whether it's wrong or right. Often, the Greek students themselves don't know or care about the proper terminology.

When I was in college, we still called it Rush, in 2003. Granted, none of us had large advisory teams, or even regular HQ visitors, to set us straight on the new terms. We operated in our own little world, and I wouldn't be surprised if Yale's Greek Council operated in a similar manner.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

A little more about the NPC sorority situation at Yale is at:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20...urth-sorority/

Excerpts:

. . . Panhel President Stephanie Cuevas ’12 said talk of bringing in a fourth sorority began last year because of the steep upward trend in the number of girls pledging in the past four years. But before Panhel can make the request to the National Panhellenic Conference, each of the three existing organizations must reach its cap of 111 sisters, demonstrating the need for a fourth group, Cuevas said. She added that she hopes this year’s rush process, which ends today, will accomplish the goal. . . .

“We have to be 100 percent sure that people want a new sorority, and that it will benefit our campus,” she said.

Interest in sororities at Yale has grown steadily for the past several years, and this year a record 205 girls began the pledge process, compared to 170 last year. But not all groups are near the 111 goal: currently, Kappa Alpha Theta has 96 members, Pi Beta Phi 87 and Kappa Kappa Gamma 55. . . .
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Why would anyone even think of expansion with Kappa only halfway to total? Even my limited knowledge of NPC expansion knows that that's dumb to the nth degree.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Why would anyone even think of expansion with Kappa only halfway to total? Even my limited knowledge of NPC expansion knows that that's dumb to the nth degree.
No, it may not be. Total is the number that chapters should be at AFTER formal recruitment. If there are 205 PNM's (which I think is what the article means), that means working quota is 68 women. Placement rates are probably lower than that, but it's still a huge amount of women. Assuming even one-third attrition/graduation each year, the chapters are going to get bigger and bigger in the next few years if a fourth is not brought on.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Didn't they have AEPhi too?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri deezy View Post
Didn't they have AEPhi too?
Yup. The chapter opened in 1995 and closed soon thereafter.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Yup, the AEPhi chapter was my chapter. We were founded with a solid membership and then just weren't able to bring women into recruitment that were a fit for our chapter.

In the mid-90s, there were usually 40-50 pnms for recruitment and quota was typically between 10-20. Kappa struggled then for members as their membership was less cohesive than that of Theta or Pi Phi. Total when I was in college was 60.

These numbers are very different from what we experienced then, which is great. DH's AEPi chapter has also reported a resurgence of greek life.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post

Gusteau, guess what? Yale's student paper got around to adressing the issue you raise. See:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20...t-a-done-deal/

Looks like although two of the chapters are supposedly "bigger than they need to be," it's going to be quite a while before another NPC group comes to Yale. But who knows?

Last edited by exlurker; 02-14-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Right. Even though DBB is correct regarding total, disproportionate numbers like that don't look like a school that should be looking at expansion.

The article did a good job highlighting the lack of oversight Panhellenic has, which is probably why they're discussing expansion at this point. Does anyone know if there is anyone (NPC area advisor maybe?) who keeps an closer eye on Yale?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:19 AM

If KKG's nationals are OK with their being smaller and if it's not causing them anguish as far as housing, I don't see why the campus shouldn't expand. Northern schools in general would rather have more chapters with smaller memberships - rather than fewer chapters that are all huge.

The fact that they have a total that none of them have met for the past 3 years and that they think they need to meet it, rather than re-evaluate it, just is silly to me.

They also need to stop saying they "can't pair up all the girls who want to be in sororities." Quota is rushees divided by 3. Each group can take that many, plus if that doesn't get them to total, they can bid until they do. Period. Pretty darn easy. If they feel quota is too high, they need to add another group. If there are too many girls dropping out, they need to use RFM.