GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,487
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Rocky27
» Online Users: 2,421
2 members and 2,419 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 01-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Perhaps.

Frankly, "suspended" and "kicked off" are the same thing. As such, why is it necessary to make a distinction in the list above (i.e. two chapters were "suspended", one "kicked off" and add this chapter to "kicked off") if both end results are similar?
I have to disagree.

When I hear "suspended" I think of "they're gone but they're allowed to come back later".

When I hear "kicked off" I think "they're gone and most likely won't come back".
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-12-2007, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I have to disagree.

When I hear "suspended" I think of "they're gone but they're allowed to come back later".

When I hear "kicked off" I think "they're gone and most likely won't come back".
OTW;
I would agree with you.
My POV is Suspended is being on hold or pending while kicked off is just that.
As the story itself says:"The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, which is different than the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity that was disbanded in November, is under summary suspension at UCF while allegations of hazing pledges are investigated, Local 6 News reported."
Old 01-12-2007, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

and from the outside, Sig Ep one of the nicest looking houses I have ever seen. Its sad that all those guys have to move out (I'm assuming) when school just started.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

FWIW, chapters can be suspended by acclimation of their own alumni. It happened w/Lambda Chi @ Northwestern.

Back in 1996, they were down to 12 men & had a number of boarders (some of the football players lived there @ the time). Since the University owns the houses, the alumni board wasn't getting enough rent $$$ to pay the bills.

The alums made a decision to suspend operations and came back to campus in 1998. During the downtime, the chapter house was converted into a women's dorm.

When they returned, LCA's expansion team helped them to recruit candidates. The "Founding Fathers-Part II" did a great job of rushing on their own after that--they got to 40 members & surpassed all-men's GPA in just 18 months.

Just last summer, they won LCA's highest chapter honor: the Grand High Alpha award. Quite a far cry from the dark days of 12 guys & the Wildcat offensive line living @ the house.

If the DG alumnae & UCF's Greek Affairs office felt it was in their best interest to go dark, they may have had a good reason...

Interfraternally,
BF

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 01-13-2007, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocalagirl View Post
and from the outside, Sig Ep one of the nicest looking houses I have ever seen. Its sad that all those guys have to move out (I'm assuming) when school just started.
I completely disagree with you. What is "sad" is what they did. What is "sad" how they are feeding the negative greek stereotype. Forget their house and what it looked like and how they have to move out, they broke the rules and hazed. They will be lucky if moving out is the worst that will happen to them.

Initiation Ritual - Delta Upsilon Fraternity

Last edited by CasperDU173; 01-13-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperDU173 View Post
I completely disagree with you. What is "sad" is what they did. What is "sad" how they are feeding the negative greek stereotype. Forget their house and what it looked like and how they have to move out, they broke the rules and hazed. They will be luck if moving out is the worst that will happen to them.
Agree.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperDU173 View Post
I completely disagree with you. What is "sad" is what they did. What is "sad" how they are feeding the negative greek stereotype. Forget their house and what it looked like and how they have to move out, they broke the rules and hazed. They will be lucky if moving out is the worst that will happen to them.
I'm going to add one more big ME TOO to that
Old 01-14-2007, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok to clarify yes I do think it is sad if Sig Ep hazed their pledges. I don't always believe what comes especially since in the last three or months SAE and ATO got in trouble for hazing. SAE got kicked off because of repeated complaints which I thought they should because it was repeatedly complained of over the years. ATO got in some trouble (though I don't think a lot..not sure), but didn't get kicked off campus. It just seems with another fraternity moving off/kicked off campus just seems a little sketchy to me. I would defintiely feel bad if they did haze their pledges, but did everyone do it? I know if a little group of people haze then the whole group gets punished and whether or not thats right thats how it is (from everything I've seen from the outside looking in). I feel bad for the possibility that some of the guys in there might have not known what was going on. From what I read at the beginning someone cried hazing and then the chapter is off campus. I'm not saying that they didn't do it, but with everything else that has happened it just seems a little odd thats all. I did not mean to sound so peachy (it was late at night though and I was probably tired), but I wasn't trying to make huge statements on this thread when they already hadn't been made. I didn't mean to make people so upset, but probably this statement will too. Oh well....
Old 01-14-2007, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fifi225
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Were the guys not doing these kinds of things when I was a student there, or has it just gotten worse?

That's a good question.

Then again...from reading that article one MIGHT get the impression that that is a kid who got kicked out during pledging and is upset over it and is now trying to paint the fraternity in a negative light. Not saying that's the case, just that that is how it could be interpreted.

Regardless, this hazing BS needs to stop at UCF (and everywhere for that matter)
Old 01-14-2007, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, forget pledging.....lets just initiate everyone that walks through the door.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fifi225
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Yeah, forget pledging.....lets just initiate everyone that walks through the door.
Well obviously, making sure that all of the potential members would jump into a garbage can full of crisco, cottage cheese, syrup and sardines is a fine way to make sure that organizations initiate only the finest!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Why does it make a difference whether the chapter decided to close or national made the decision? I'm guessing it closed because of numbers?
Well, I know that our Sigma Chi chapter voted to close (they had $$$ issues) because apparently, they can come back sooner than if the national council would have voted to close it. This I guess is the same sort of thing.

Although, I would like to see if this is really true in practice or if it's just something the HQ tells them to get the matter over and done with. Sorry to sound like a bitch, but like I said, when I see this actually happening I'll believe it.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Were the guys not doing these kinds of things when I was a student there, or has it just gotten worse?

http://www.local6.com/news/10724862/detail.html

I think it has always gone on, but now the school has every greek orginization under a microscope, and are now looking for any little thing to get them in trouble
Old 01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

If the chapter is warned by either The School or Their National and do not follow the rules of both, whose fault is it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-29-2007, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XiLove_Epsilon Send a message via MSN to XiLove_Epsilon
Exclamation Hazing on Campuses

I think that it is completely sad that fraternities are getting kicked off campuses nation wide. In fact, I think it's pathetic. I realize that there are some things that go too far, but some things are just tradition. We just had a chapter get in trouble with their nationals for having their pledges go and retrieve composites from each fraternity. They were split into groups and this has been tradition for as far back as anyone can remember...things like this is just fun, tradition, and should be left alone by nationals and the media alike. I realize that getting your pledges unbelievably drunk is not the best idea, but sometimes (if no one is getting truely hurt), you've just got to leave well enough alone. Greeks are an exclusive part of universities for a reason.