GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,191
0 members and 2,191 guests
No Members online

Old 06-01-2023, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Hobbies? Post them here.

Do you have any hobbies? I’m not talking about lightweight hobbies you seldom do, I’m talking about a hobby you enjoy that you REALLY look forward to doing when you’re not busy with work.

Mine: I’ve been playing golf since I was a kid, and I really enjoy it. I’m also liking this yard work I’ve been doing. But golf is my main hobby.

You?
Old 06-01-2023, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I've recently gotten into sort of rehabbing old furniture. Since covid. Now I'm not a expert in repair, or replacing pieces, but sanding and refinishing pieces yes. Most of the pieces I've gotten from my local freecycle group. Most recently I stripped a small cabinet that was painted in fire engine red, with white paint underneath. It was a bit of a task even though the cabinet was small. Once all the paint was gone a good sanding back to actual wood and I re-stained it, put new hardware on it, and it actually turned out pretty good. Mind you the cabinet has drawers which were painted white, I just didn't have the patience to strip down the inside of the drawers since some were deep and narrow. I sanded those a bit and put some paint on it. Its been rather relaxing and fun to do those small project pieces. Don't ask me to saw anything or use heavy equipment, I'm still got bad memories of burning wood during shop class in middle school.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I love astronomy and building Victorian dollhouses. Most of my dollhouses that I built in high school and college are still over my mom’s, but I do have a completed one here. With a 4 and 6 year old, I don’t have as much time as I would like with my dollhouse interest, but I have 3 telescopes — oh wait… I should say I’m down to 3 telescopes. I had too many so I sold some of them.

I took up scrapbooking about 7 years ago which I also really enjoy.

eta: Oh, I forgot to mention my fascination with prehistoric animals too.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 06-02-2023 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Reading, international adoption, and gardening and the most recent one--genealogy. Boy, have I gotten some shocks there.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Collecting Comic Books...Mostly DC Comics. It's been a while since I went to the Comic Book Store before I moved to my apartment. I will start it up again soon.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 06-03-2023, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a large 300+ museum quality 1:24 scale dicaste classic model car collection made up of Danbury Mint, Franklin Mint, CMC, and other highly detailed model companies. I also build historic and fictional dioramas to put them in. But most of them are inside display cases.

My dioramas are similar to this YT guy’s with the exception that he uses real backgrounds on his and then uses a camera for his realism. I build and make my own from scratch to produce realism.

https://youtu.be/sCV0kS_7TJg
Old 06-03-2023, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m digging andthen, sigtau305 and PB’s hobbies. Interesting.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Question for sigtau305 and PB.

sigtau305: Do you have any DC or Marvel comics that have gone up in value? Have you sold any? Back when I was a center manager at a FedEx Office store, we had a regular customer that would ship his to an appraiser. He had them is special plastic individual cases. I remember packing and shipping them for him. He had some really old, but well taken care of comics, mainly DC.

PB: Where do you keep 300+ model cars man? Lol. How detailed are they? I’ll bet you’re the only D9 member with a hobby like that. Insane.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I keep them in my den. With the detail they range from tiny driving gloves inside the glove compartment to real leather interior to actual keys in the ignition. Whatever the real car has, it’s on the model. Except they don’t run of course.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
I keep them in my den. With the detail they range from tiny driving gloves inside the glove compartment to real leather interior to actual keys in the ignition. Whatever the real car has, it’s on the model. Except they don’t run of course.
They must be expensive. How do you keep your kids from getting in there and tearing them up? I can see you now if you caught your kids on the floor playing with them.

PB’s reaction to catching his kids on the floor playing with his model car collection Lol!
https://youtu.be/hSRehbRLfRQ

Last edited by Phrozen Sands; 06-04-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I enjoy all sorts of needlework but particularly quilting, so much so that I take commissions. This is my busy time of the year so I just finished 2 t shirt quilts for prep school graduates, am about to quilt an antique top, and then design a quilt using military rank and unit patches from a dual active duty couple.

As I get older, I find I get a bit achy basting the layers and manipulating a heavy quilt through the machine but I still love the process.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

^^^ She is very, very good!
Old 06-10-2023, 02:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
Question for sigtau305 and PB.

sigtau305: Do you have any DC or Marvel comics that have gone up in value? Have you sold any? Back when I was a center manager at a FedEx Office store, we had a regular customer that would ship his to an appraiser. He had them is special plastic individual cases. I remember packing and shipping them for him. He had some really old, but well taken care of comics, mainly DC.

The Man of Steel Series (1986) and The Death of Superman (1992) were the only two DC comics that gone up in value. The rest of them didn't last because I never had purchased a plastic individual case even though they were in very good shape. I tried to sell some but the value for the rest of them wasn't as good. I had comic books that went back as far as 1971. The only Marvel comics I collected was mainly Spider-Man.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 06-11-2023, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigtau305 View Post
The Man of Steel Series (1986) and The Death of Superman (1992) were the only two DC comics that gone up in value. The rest of them didn't last because I never had purchased a plastic individual case even though they were in very good shape. I tried to sell some but the value for the rest of them wasn't as good. I had comic books that went back as far as 1971. The only Marvel comics I collected was mainly Spider-Man.
Nice! You’re definitely passionate.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

My hobby is baking.

True and Constant