GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 819
0 members and 819 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2021, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

UCSB Sorority Recrutiment-4 Chapters on Interium Suspension affecting recruitment

The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life has shared the following information about chapters that are currently on interim suspension. The four NPC chapters listed will not be able to participate in formal recruitment which begins today. The NPC chapters are Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Phi, Kappa Alpha Theta and Pi Beta Phi. In addition, Sigma Nu fraternity is also on the list. The remaining chapters considered to be in good standing and will participate: Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Kappa Gamma. Phi Sigma Rho is the affiliate sorority which conducts its own recruitment.

https://osl.sa.ucsb.edu/fraternities...H0SLYFAfZ73Agw

Quote:
The following organizations are recognized, but the Dean of Student Life has placed them on an interim suspension status as a precaution in case allegations of behavioral misconduct prove to be true. This precaution is implemented on a case-by-case basis in order to limit further injury to community members and further liability to organization officers. Interim Suspension Status is not implemented as a punitive measure. Following the completion of an investigation, organizations will either be placed on Probation/Suspension Status (below) or returned to Recognized and In Good Standing Status (above).
The information that affects formal recruitment.

Quote:
Recognized fraternities and sororities are prohibited from engaging in organizational events (formal or informal, regardless of location) with organizations on interim suspension status.
I am the parent of a UCSB student who is not involved in Greek Life, but I am aware of this through the school's Facebook Parents' Forum. I am currently unaware of any details as to why the fraternity and the four NPC sororities were placed on interim suspension status. I feel badly for all who are affected by this decision, but it would appear that the allegations were of a nature that required this type of action and on the eve of formal recruitment. I am wondering how this will impact the number of PNMs who will choose to continue with recruitment knowing that four groups are not participating and who will receive bids.

Last edited by TLLK; 09-20-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:15 PM

I believe they can still rush informally. It’s a freedom of association issue if they are still considered recognized. It says recognized fraternities and sororities can’t associate with orgs on suspension - not that non-Greeks can’t.

But seeing as most chapters know about as much about informal rushing as they do operating a kerosene lamp, the point is probably moot.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow…this must have shaken up the whole campus!

So does this mean quota will be HUGE for the remaining houses?
Old 09-20-2021, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Typically they are allowed to recruit but no other group events. Since it doesn't specifically mention recruitment, I'm wondering if we are jumping to conclusions.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Typically they are allowed to recruit but no other group events. Since it doesn't specifically mention recruitment, I'm wondering if we are jumping to conclusions.
What my friend said. READ carefully - and remember that NPC has something to say about preventing chapters from recruiting. Sorry I can't pull up relevant documents at this time.

This is my campus and my Theta initiation chapter. No I don't have any inside information at this time.

ETA: getting all kinds of crazy messages about what's happening. Rumors, UGH. The timing is definitely horrible for the four chapters named.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-20-2021, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Based upon what I'm reading on the parents' forum and what PNMs were told by their Rho Chis yesterday, the four NPC groups on interim suspension will not be participating in formal recruitment as of today.

AZTheta-Ugh is the right word to describe the situation. I feel badly for all involved. The members who have spent hours preparing as well as PNMs who were looking forward to recruitment. The timing is really awful.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

This is insane. Hopefully more comes out so we can get the full picture. I feel so bad for the actives and PNMs.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 09-21-2021, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

From the NPC Green Book: Sanctions shall not:
• Forbid primary recruitment or continuous open bidding activities or the observance
of an inter/national sorority event such as an educational program, ritual ceremony or
historical celebration.
• Affect a sorority chapter’s quota or total.
• Affect the time of new member acceptance and/or initiation.
• Forbid the right of an NPC sorority to vote in College Panhellenic meetings
Old 09-21-2021, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I’m thinking of a few years ago when the Indiana University Chi Omega chapter got into trouble with both IU and their Hdqtrs. Their recruitment was stopped MID-WAY. They had to quit immediately and did not take a pledge class; the PNMs still rushing were allowed
to make new choices.

So it has been done…right or wrong.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

But didn't their national shut them down after this? National doing it is one thing - the U, another
Old 09-21-2021, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Tichou: Yes they did—good point!

But it still really upended recruitment for the whole campus. We had a friend whose granddaughter was going through as a 3 generation Chi O legacy; it threw her family into a turmoil. (She finished recruitment and did choose to pledge another house.)
Old 09-21-2021, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks to those who pointed out that sanctions may not include school enforced rush restrictions-I thought I remembered that. Perhaps UCSB Greek Life office should read the Green Book, or the area NPC rep. should be in contact with UCSB.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But didn't their national shut them down after this? National doing it is one thing - the U, another
Actually, no Chi Omega National did not shut down the chapter at IU. The chapter went through an internal review process and then the following fall held informal recruitment events where they took a fairly large group of sophomore and junior women to rebuild the chapter.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 09-21-2021, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Thanks to those who pointed out that sanctions may not include school enforced rush restrictions-I thought I remembered that. Perhaps UCSB Greek Life office should read the Green Book, or the area NPC rep. should be in contact with UCSB.
A university is under no obligation to abide by the wishes of an outside organization. If the university suspends a chapter(s) for what they believe is just cause, then I don't see what the NPC Green Book has to do with any of this.

True and Constant
Old 09-21-2021, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

UCSB has seen many chapters come and go over the years. I was Greek at UCSB in the early eighties, and at that time many girls would rush, but then drop out if they if they were not invited back to a select few houses that were regarded as highly desirable. This attitude, I think contributed to the closure of so many chapters. Off topic, sorry.... some chapters have "satellite houses" that seniors live in... I wonder if activities occurred in those spaces that led to these suspensions. I have never heard of any other campus having these.