GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,227
1 members and 1,226 guests
No Members online

Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 AM

A local is ONE chapter. If it has multiple chapters then it's a regional.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Banned

Oh I thought regional would be chapters at different schools, different states, in one region of the country; local is chapters in one city or one state.

Thanks, 33girl.

"Greekchat: Each one, teach one"

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-01-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey als463 I think you're trying to dig way to deep in my post. It simply says if your interested in starting a local org. on your campus let me know. As to your comments that I'm bashing national is not true as you do not even know me and seeing how I was in one for 3 years before starting my own.

You stated that you did not like the fact that put "The goal of Omega Psi Chi is to give our members the resources, encouragement, and security to achieve their fullest potential with a lesser financial burden than national sororities." on my org. site but, maybe if you would have taken a moment and realize that my school wayne state university is in Detroit, MI the inner city and that girls that really want to be in a sorority and long for a sisterhood simply can not afford the dues of national orgs. even with payment plans.

You ask if I'am trying to start it up nationally? and no at the moment , but we our looking to expand our sisterhood while still make dues affordable as we our in the works to start at a new campus!!! yay and yes you can still but a local org. with more then one chapter to who ask that question.

You also made a comment about this statement on our site "As a local entity, Omega Psi Chi Sorority allows women the unique opportunity to be a part of a valuable, and social experience in which members help achieve beneficial decisions for the organization. Funds accrued within the organization go directly back into our sorority for members interests and benefits." This is on our site to let pnm's know every dime of their dues goes right to the chapters activities and that we do not have to give half of our money to a national headquarters.

You also called in to question "What is so unique about your organization that girls can't find something just as good if not better at your school?" and to answer that is by the way in which i started this sorority and the heartfelt meaning behind the letters and the values in which I in vision in my sisterhood. Also you said I "You really seem to bash national sororities to get your point across as seen here under FAQs:Many local sororities have more closely-knit groups of girls, allowing for a more intimate bond between sisters, as well as lower dues." but that untrue to say as I get many girls/ have read/ and how I felt when going though the national ones I was in and that when you have 30 to 50+ girls in a sorority or 13-18 in a pledge some girls feel left out and feel that there cliques formed and we all know seeing as how we're all in sororities that local orgs. are less in cost not because we have less to offer our but, because we don't have the national overhang. I'am not bashing national sororities am simply stating the difference parallels in local sororities and national ones.

If anyone has anymore questions, comments or concerns please just email through my site as I'am rarely on here.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Xidelt for backing us and for seeing our site at face value and not trying to stretch it out of context.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieadah View Post
Hey als463 I think you're trying to dig way to deep in my post. It simply says if your interested in starting a local org. on your campus let me know. As to your comments that I'm bashing national is not true as you do not even know me and seeing how I was in one for 3 years before starting my own.

You stated that you did not like the fact that put "The goal of Omega Psi Chi is to give our members the resources, encouragement, and security to achieve their fullest potential with a lesser financial burden than national sororities." on my org. site but, maybe if you would have taken a moment and realize that my school wayne state university is in Detroit, MI the inner city and that girls that really want to be in a sorority and long for a sisterhood simply can not afford the dues of national orgs. even with payment plans.

You ask if I'am trying to start it up nationally? and no at the moment , but we our looking to expand our sisterhood while still make dues affordable as we our in the works to start at a new campus!!! yay and yes you can still but a local org. with more then one chapter to who ask that question.

You also made a comment about this statement on our site "As a local entity, Omega Psi Chi Sorority allows women the unique opportunity to be a part of a valuable, and social experience in which members help achieve beneficial decisions for the organization. Funds accrued within the organization go directly back into our sorority for members interests and benefits." This is on our site to let pnm's know every dime of their dues goes right to the chapters activities and that we do not have to give half of our money to a national headquarters.

You also called in to question "What is so unique about your organization that girls can't find something just as good if not better at your school?" and to answer that is by the way in which i started this sorority and the heartfelt meaning behind the letters and the values in which I in vision in my sisterhood. Also you said I "You really seem to bash national sororities to get your point across as seen here under FAQs:Many local sororities have more closely-knit groups of girls, allowing for a more intimate bond between sisters, as well as lower dues." but that untrue to say as I get many girls/ have read/ and how I felt when going though the national ones I was in and that when you have 30 to 50+ girls in a sorority or 13-18 in a pledge some girls feel left out and feel that there cliques formed and we all know seeing as how we're all in sororities that local orgs. are less in cost not because we have less to offer our but, because we don't have the national overhang. I'am not bashing national sororities am simply stating the difference parallels in local sororities and national ones.

If anyone has anymore questions, comments or concerns please just email through my site as I'am rarely on here.
If, as your website states, "The founder of Omega Psi Chi Sorority S------- S----, created this local sorority uniquely for Wayne State University in Detroit, Mi.", how/why would it work elsewhere?

If you did expand to other campuses, you would, ideally, have to start setting up a higher council of some sort to maintain your focus, rules, etc. It doesn't seem like you are set up to do that, especially if you want to keep your dues at X amount each semester. So why, then, would you offer expansion of the local that you're so proud is local?

In addition, any time you have 3 or more people together, there's a chance that 2 of them will be closer to one another than the third person, so unless you plan on keeping your sorority to two people or less, you're going to have "cliques".

Last edited by ree-Xi; 05-10-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
If, as your website states, "The founder of Omega Psi Chi Sorority S------- S----, created this local sorority uniquely for Wayne State University in Detroit, Mi.", how/why would it work elsewhere?

If you did expand to other campuses, you would, ideally, have to start setting up a higher council of some sort to maintain your focus, rules, etc. It doesn't seem like you are set up to do that, especially if you want to keep your dues at X amount each semester. So why, then, would you offer expansion of the local that you're so proud is local?

In addition, any time you have 3 or more people together, there's a chance that 2 of them will be closer to one another than the third person, so unless you plan on keeping your sorority to two people or less, you're going to have "cliques".
You don't make any sense by asking how/why would it work... it will work like all sororities who have multiple chapters. A local sorority doesn't means you can never ever expanse. Also I wouldn't be a great founder if I didn't want to see my organization grow. Like the say goes there's no growth without change. And you don't know me so please don't ever tell me what I'm ready or not ready for and the abilities of my org. I know what I can handle and what I want for my org. and at this point if you're not a founder of anything I don't need your advised. Any who I would like to thank those who sent me emails of support!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You don't make any sense by asking how/why would it work... it will work like all sororities who have multiple chapters. A local sorority doesn't means you can never ever expanse. Also I wouldn't be a great founder if I didn't want to see my organization grow. Like the say goes there's no growth without change. And you don't know me so please don't ever tell me what I'm ready or not ready for and the abilities of my org. I know what I can handle and what I want for my org. and at this point if you're not a founder of anything I don't need your advised. Any who I would like to thank those who sent me emails of support!!!!!!!!!!!
QFP
Old 05-12-2014, 05:19 AM
GreekChat Member

My English teacher brain hurts. The pain! The pain!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
My English teacher brain hurts. The pain! The pain!
Seriously. My math teacher brain was (is) hurting. I figured that I was just being overly critical and cranky at the end of a school year.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 05-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
To be honest, you're not exactly doing yourself or your organization any favors here.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

If I were in a local sorority, I would sell it as better than NPC. Being that I'm a member of an NPC, I find her argument crap. That seems logical. It's not a LIE; it's just marketing. Most of rush is girls telling other girls that their sisterhood is better because their group is bigger smaller smarter blonder taller richer whatever.

However, I would warn the OP that semantics aside, if you want to be at multiple schools, you might want to tone down the Locals are Better Than Nationals rhetoric. Sounds kind of hypocritical if you're trying to grow beyond one chapter, regardless whether you call it a local a regional or a national.

Also, if you want to grow via social media, you need to be VERY careful about sentence structure, grammar and spelling. It is the only voice you have, and you are not presenting yourself in a very professional or intelligent way. I'm presuming that you are smart enough to be able to present yourself better than this. "Preview Post" is your friend, as is an actual friend if you're still not catching your errors. And if you do not know what's wrong with your posts, then you really need to put sorority life on hold and pledge the library.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I was going to say that my "I edit everything" brain was literally crying over the op's writing and grammar, but DubaiSis put it very well in the last paragraph of her post. Writing indicates so much about a person and it can really give one a bad impression if there are tons of mistakes. I am one of these people who will go back in and edit if I find even one error in any of my posts. That is not to say that my grammar is always 100%, but at least I make every attempt to have it be as correct as possible.

I think that the majority of posters on this site do the same, which is why when we see atrocious grammar it is not well received.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not going to worry about what everyone thinks about me or my org. I made this post to reach out to other founders, people who care about local groups, and those who want to start one. As long as I'am making the girls who wear my letters happy that's all that matters.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not going to worry about what everyone thinks about me or my org. I made this post to reach out to other founders, people who care about local groups, and those who want to start one. As long as I'am making the girls who wear my letters happy that's all that matters.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Pythia what is your point?