GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,350
1 members and 1,349 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-21-2006, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Nametags

I haven't seen this discussed on here before, so maybe it's unique to my university, but for rush here each girl is supposed to make a nametag that represents her personality.

Do any of your schools have this nametag tradition? What kinds of things did you do for a nametag? What level of skill do they expect the nametag to be, kindergarten or Martha Stewart? Does anyone have any examples of nametags that really stood out or made a positive (or negative!) impression? I'd really appreciate some guidance from the GC gurus. Thanks and much love!

Last edited by cavaliercutie10; 12-22-2006 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

At my school it varied, some girls had a plain white note card with their name written in black pen, some girls used glue guns, lace, and glitter and matched their outfits each day...realistically, most girls' nametags fell somewhere in between I just cut out a cute shape that I found online from an index card, and then decorated the un-lined side.

Just make sure your name (and maybe hometown) are legible and you should be fine. Good luck with recruitment!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:24 AM
jessicaelaine

name tags sound like a fun idea. if it were me i'd probably have a curling house, with a rock and a broom on it as my name tag with my name written over it. we do something similar for our new member classes where each new member decorates a blank crest to represent them.

i like photography and cooking, too. to represent photography, it might be fun to actually make the letters of you name and take a picture of it, and the picture could be your name tag. or for cooking, an idea is cut out your favorite recipie and write your name on it. or for traveling, use a plane ticket and write your name on it.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't have any unique ideas, but I do have a suggestion: DON'T put anything on your nametag that could make it look like you have a preference to a certain sorority. It doesn't matter if you were Miss Teen USA (ok, in light of current events, I wouldn't be advertising this anyway) - if you have ZTA on your campus, don't make your nametag a crown. And watch what colors you use. I know it would be almost impossible to avoid all sorority colors, but avoid sororities unique combinations. A red and yellow nametag might scream "I wanna be a ChiO".
Old 12-21-2006, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I would pick one thing and focus on that for the nametag. If its a conversation starter, it should do just that--start the conversation, but not be the whole conversation. A nametag could not possibly represent everything you are or do. If it were me, I would want something simple and classy, not distracting. Too much is distracting.

Good luck!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CuriousWildcat Send a message via MSN to CuriousWildcat
I think making your nametag out of a photo sounds like a really cute idea! To add to that idea, maybe you can spell your name out of objects (cooking utencils, something representing your travels etc.) that represent you! Good luck! I can't wait to hear what you did!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:51 PM

At my school, PNMs got nametags issued by Panhel for round 1. At the other rounds, each sorority would make up nametags based on their themes. So PNMs didn't have to worry about making their own nametags.

You will want something memorable, maybe indicating a hobby or interest of yours, but easy to make. For example, if I had to make a nametag for rush today, I would probably make a little cross-stitch design of my name, because one of my hobbies is cross-stitch. I might even draw in a little needle and a stray thread.

You might make a nametag that looks like film, with sprocket holes and the like, if you're into photography. Just an example.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I don't have any unique ideas, but I do have a suggestion: DON'T put anything on your nametag that could make it look like you have a preference to a certain sorority. It doesn't matter if you were Miss Teen USA (ok, in light of current events, I wouldn't be advertising this anyway) - if you have ZTA on your campus, don't make your nametag a crown. And watch what colors you use. I know it would be almost impossible to avoid all sorority colors, but avoid sororities unique combinations. A red and yellow nametag might scream "I wanna be a ChiO".
this is very good advice..you could look biased.

since u are a crafty person..im sure whatever u decide on will look great!! im a artsy kid and sometimes i stress over that same perfection ur talking about but in the end it all works out

good luck and let us know where u end up and how it went!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

That is so creative that you all get to make your nametags my school made us these generic nametags that were hideous. But yea listen to these they are giving you good advice don't use any colors that might be sorority colors because wrong impression at certain houses. Like combination of blue and gold adpi blue and blue would be my house KKG
red and blue would be pi phi. Those are so color combinations you probally would want to avoid. I wish you the best of luck during recruitment and let us know what you get
Old 12-26-2006, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

We had name tags and most reflected something about the girls name so we could remember it. Mine was Maggie and I am from Springfield so I had a picture of Maggie Simpson. Another one of my friends, her last name was brown, and she had her first name written out on a big picture of a brown crayon.

Get creative and think of something that will make you memorable in a good way!

I can remember one girl had a hotdog styrofoam container as her name tag. It had nothing to do with her name, she just really liked hotdogs. She became known through out the greek land as "hotdog girl".
Old 12-29-2006, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi, so I am guessing you go to UVA.

I went to VT and we did the same thing with nametags. I don't think anyone really expected talent from the nametags, but thought should be put into it.

Some girls do play on their name, makes it easier to remember and some decorate with interests they have. Its always a great conversation topic if you are trying to talk about things to the PNM.

Personally I was no Martha Stewart or creative so I was trying to think about what represented me. I painted a small square piece of cardboard my favorite color (light blue) and put a picture on it of my family. Honestly people liked it because no one really else had a photo and people kept wanting to look at my cute brothers and my mom (it was a great pic of her).

Oh about not making it obvious on which sorority you prefer in a nametag, I diid a big ooppss on my first day. I honestly had no preference, nor did I know anything about the groups. A friend wanted me to rush with her. I wore my gaurdian angel necklace, which was given to me, and I wore in stressful situations... well of course, Angel - Pi Phi. I honestly fell in love with Pi Phi from the beginning though so it was fate.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:02 AM
PoohsHoneyBee

on year we used those sponge cut outs that you can buy in the craft section at wal-mart, they just happened to have unicorns. we used puffy paint to print out names. the last year i did it we just went to printing out cute name tags with colored ink!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaEtaKP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
At my school, PNMs got nametags issued by Panhel for round 1. At the other rounds, each sorority would make up nametags based on their themes. So PNMs didn't have to worry about making their own nametags.

You will want something memorable, maybe indicating a hobby or interest of yours, but easy to make. For example, if I had to make a nametag for rush today, I would probably make a little cross-stitch design of my name, because one of my hobbies is cross-stitch. I might even draw in a little needle and a stray thread.

You might make a nametag that looks like film, with sprocket holes and the like, if you're into photography. Just an example.
Oh my gosh! I could not imagine any of this! Our recruitment gets really competitive--we use to have food--until people began making gourmet meals, they use to have gifts that they gave for pref night--I have seen hand-made fans or little tea sets... Now they're considering getting rid of drinks b/c it is getting too competitive. The nametags would be ridiculous!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Nametags

In the past at my school, the Rho Chi groups make nametags the first night, and the girls continue to wear them all week. Each name tag was shaped different for each group, but all had similar basic information on it like Name, Hometown, Major, Hobby, etc. I think it was up to the Rho Chi's in charge of the group, to decide what color/shape the nametag would be.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

We had to decorate our own nametags too. Some peoples were stunning, but mine definitely looked like a kindergardener did it. And it took me forever to find a color combination! If you put three or four colors on you should be able to avoid having the colors of one sorority.