GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 306,873
Threads: 114,623
Welcome to our newest member, Livefreeee

Old 08-05-2002, 12:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
My campus has four locals and five nationals, and everyone is a full member of the local university panhellenic. The local women hold executive positions, committee chairs, etc., but in return are expected to uphold the values of the local panhellenic. They've had a local as president at least 5 times since I was in school.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
we are associate members of PHC on our campus but we are not allowed (yet) to participate in Formal Recruitment... although i hear the option is open to us if we wanted it. Therefore, for now, we don't follow the Recruitment Rules PHC has put forth. And I think the only position we have ever had in PHC is VP of Standards. We aren't up for officer rotation. But we are up for the various awards they give out... like Sigma, we have also had the Highest GPA before. And we can participate in Greek Week.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, I'm confused ... what is Panhellenic officer rotation? At my school, any sorority member who wanted to could run for any of the offices. Generally the strongest sororities thus controlled Panhel, because they had more members to spare for Panhel offices.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
OK, I'm confused ... what is Panhellenic officer rotation? At my school, any sorority member who wanted to could run for any of the offices. Generally the strongest sororities thus controlled Panhel, because they had more members to spare for Panhel offices.
Officer rotation is where each sorority rotates through the exec chairs by seniority and then alphabetically. There is no vote. However, I think for exec board positions the sister has to have been a member of Panhel for at least a year...so pretty much when you elect someone to Panhel or junior Panhel they end up being your rep the whole time they are in school. Before GC I thought this was how all Panhellenics did it.

This way every sorority gets a shot at running Panhellenic (and takes turns with the work) and it's not the largest groups controlling it all the time. This is how national Panhel works.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:10 PM

33girl is almost right - though this may be one of those campus-to-campus differences. Officer rotation means that each sorority rotates through higher-level positions like president, exec VP, recruitment VP, treasurer, secretary - but Panhel does vote to confirm the nominee. (Lower-level positions like committee chairs are generally open to any member of any sorority.)

Say AEPhi is in rotation for Panhel secretary. AEPhi elects a secretary from among their sisters. The person who's elected is then presented to the Panhel exec board, and each sorority's Panhel rep votes to confirm or deny her appointment (I think you need a 75% vote).

I know because the year after I was Panhel rep, our nominee for president was not confirmed, and we lost our spot in rotation for that year.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
There were seven sororities including a local with all the same rights and responsibilities as the NPC sororities. Our panhellenic Executive Board included Chair (President), Vice Chair (VP), Treasurer, and Secretary. The rotation was in order of founding date. Each of the four sororities in rotation that year would select or elect one person to present to panhel. Each candidate would give a speech and the representatives would vote. Whoever received the most votes became chair. The candidates usually didn't run for a specific office except the treasurer who was usually an accounting student.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

only house

they are the only house in existance with their letters.. there are no other chapters... at least this is what i have been lead to believe