GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,227
0 members and 2,227 guests
No Members online

Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Transferring into a School

Do fraternities typically turn down guys that are transferring in? Transferring into an SEC school, don't know if that makes a difference.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-05-2012, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd suggest you just get to know the guys. If you make a connection and are in good standing with you old chapter, I cannot think of a reason they wouldn't give you a chance. I mean they might be a chapter that does look down upon then (I know of one for my own group) but there are ways to break through that.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think he's transferring within his fraternity; he graduated from a community college (based on his name) and is wondering if he has options going into an SEC school. Is that about the gist of it?

I'm WAY out of my lane here, but my guess would be some wouldn't give you the time of day but others would be more open to you. Cast a wide net and be open to the less prestigious groups on campus who probably aren't as focused on only younger guys.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

As DubaiSis noted, at some SEC schools, extending bids to community college transfers may be “ok”, while at other SEC schools, not so much. Same for different chapters on the same campus.

Having said that, IFC chapters do not have a quota or total. As such, bidding a community college transfer “generally” should not be an issue. However, the chapter still needs to feel you are worthy of membership.

Just remember that each chapter and each campus culture is different. So if you know anyone in one of the fraternities at your "new" (SEC) school, you may want to ask them what the campus culture is regarding community college transfers.

Best of luck.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you both for your input. I think you both present valid points. And I will make sure to apply what you have said when I rush.

I appreciate the advice.