GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,456
1 members and 1,455 guests
MSKKG

Old 01-20-2014, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry Transferring to a new school that doesn't have your fraternity

I have a hypothetical question about rushing and then transferring.

I was really surprised when I read that once you initiate, you are never allowed to rush anywhere else.

Lets say you pledge and get initiated as a freshman at a college like UCLA, and then after 2 years, you decide to transfer to UC Berkeley and the school doesn't have a chapter of your fraternity. Since you're already initiated somewhere, does it mean you are essentially banned from Greek life? That seems like a really dumb rule.

Moreover, even if the university has the same frat, the guys in it could be totally different from somewhere else.

How do they regulate this? Is there some sort of database where they share information between fraternities.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Banned

This question is the same as another question someone posted a month or so ago. Where's that thread?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewards View Post
I have a hypothetical question about rushing and then transferring.

I was really surprised when I read that once you initiate, you are never allowed to rush anywhere else.

Lets say you pledge and get initiated as a freshman at a college like UCLA, and then after 2 years, you decide to transfer to UC Berkeley and the school doesn't have a chapter of your fraternity. Since you're already initiated somewhere, does it mean you are essentially banned from Greek life? That seems like a really dumb rule.

Moreover, even if the university has the same frat, the guys in it could be totally different from somewhere else.

How do they regulate this? Is there some sort of database where they share information between fraternities.
How many fraternities do you think you should be able to join?

You're not banned from Greek life! You're always a member, even if you transfer to Antarctica and there is no chapter there.

Of course people are different in every chapter, everywhere you go. That is a no-brainer.

And yes there is a super secret database. If I told you any more, I'd be thrown into the Violet Volcano. In my leopard skin catsuit. With sequined hose.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Honor. When you pledge and are initiated, you make vows. Those vows typically include a vow of lifelong loyalty and a promise not to join any other fraternity, at least of the same kind.

If you can't make and keep that promise, Greek life probably isn't for you.

Meanwhile, as has been discussed before, many colleges used you have "orphan Greek" groups for transfer students in the situation you describe. These groups provided a way to continue to participate in a Greek life. Perhaps they need to make a comeback.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

And if you think that the Greeks at school B won't check with their counterparts at school A, then you have another think coming.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

MysticCat and Titchou, I have until March 5th to be snarky and annoyed. The OP couldn't take a few minutes to search? Thanks to both of you for being nice. I guess.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I couldn't find the same exact question. If someone could post a link that would be great.

So if you need to transfer to another school that doesn't have your fraternity, you just have to stop participating in Greek life for the rest of your college years?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I couldn't find the same exact question. If someone could post a link that would be great.

So if you need to transfer to another school that doesn't have your fraternity, you just have to stop participating in Greek life for the rest of your college years?
(A.) Please tell me you haven't already initiated into a fraternity and taken that oath that you don't appear to take too seriously.

(B.) There are other ways to get involved like with Alumni Chapters and serving as an advisor at other universities where your fraternity has a chapter.

(C.) This question comes up time and again and the sad reality is that it SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE ASKED! You take an oath. Your poor planning is not your fraternity's fault.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
This question is the same as another question someone posted a month or so ago. Where's that thread?
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=137497
Old 02-26-2014, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Does bumping achieve anything than resurrecting threads on which we don't want to comment anyway?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Does bumping achieve anything than resurrecting threads on which we don't want to comment anyway?
No?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Can anyone explain why posters would bump random threads in response to spam?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Can anyone explain why posters would bump random threads in response to spam?
When recruitment is ongoing, sometimes people bump so that pnms who come looking for information won't see a bunch of useless spam threads on the front page and go elsewhere. We're in a "dead zone" right now, so there's really no point.

When a mod comes online, s/he'll ban the spammers and delete their posts. At that point, all of the bumps will now be nothing but... spam. Better to wait it out and post your frustrations on the spam thread.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand bumping helpful threads. It is bumping random threads with spam that I did not understand. It doesn't bury a story (such as for a name search). It just seems like sweeping sand on a beach.