GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,270
0 members and 1,270 guests
No Members online

Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamababe View Post
We've been told that the only men that will be allowed in the house are the new girls' dads. Brothers won't be allowed in. Just a heads up before the whole family heads down to Tuscaloosa for bid day lunch only to have the boys turned away.
Brothers of new members will be allowed, according to the Panhellenic President's letter of 8-2-10 to all who registered for recruitment:

"With these concerns in mind, the Alabama Panhellenic Association recently brought this issue up for discussion, and the sororities unanimously voted that the inside of the sorority houses on Bid Day would be limited to sorority members, alumnae, new members and their families only. Fraternity members and other unaffiliated students and guests, while welcome on sorority row, will not be allowed access to the inside of the houses. By taking this step, we are trying to ensure that the focus of our Bid Day festivities is on welcoming the new members and their families to the University and to our organizations.

Each house will have its own uniformed security helping us make sure that uninvited guests do not make their way inside the houses."
Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
will begin grad. school at bama in a few weeks
Good for her! Will she be lending a hand at the ZTA chapter?
________

Last edited by carnation; 08-02-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1 View Post
Brothers of new members will be allowed, according to the Panhellenic President's letter of 8-2-10 to all who registered for recruitment:

"With these concerns in mind, the Alabama Panhellenic Association recently brought this issue up for discussion, and the sororities unanimously voted that the inside of the sorority houses on Bid Day would be limited to sorority members, alumnae, new members and their families only. Fraternity members and other unaffiliated students and guests, while welcome on sorority row, will not be allowed access to the inside of the houses. By taking this step, we are trying to ensure that the focus of our Bid Day festivities is on welcoming the new members and their families to the University and to our organizations.

Each house will have its own uniformed security helping us make sure that uninvited guests do not make their way inside the houses."
I wonder how the Tri Delta house deals with this. It says specifically in one of our document that no men are allowed at Bid Day Activities.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Having rused and pledged at a Pac 10 school, I am not familiar with the parent involvement on bid day. It sounds like a wonderful experience for both the parents and daughter. Can someone share information about the events?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1 View Post

We all received that letter, and while it does say "new members and their families only," I'm gonna restate my warning about brothers. We were told in person yesterday that it was dads only, no brothers. Some houses may be allowing brothers, but I know that my house won't, since it's harder to verify that the boy you're claiming is your brother actually *is* your brother. There's not as much of a problem with 40+ year old men pretending to be family as there is with 20ish year old men.

I was under the impression that men were allowed in all the houses last year, but after jennyj87's post, I'm starting to wonder if some houses don't allow guys in whatsoever. So if you're planning on coming down to bid day, please keep all this information in mind. If you wanna chance it, more power to you, but don't be too surprised if your brother/son isn't allowed in the house.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Good for her! Will she be lending a hand at the ZTA chapter?
I'm not sure if she will be able to, but I have encouraged her to do so. I know that she has orientation at some point during rush week and hopefully she will have a part time job by then, too.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamababe View Post
There's not as much of a problem with 40+ year old men pretending to be family as there is with 20ish year old men.
Unless they're creepy.

Jenny - I think (just pulling this out of my butt) that stipulation might mean member-only bid day activities like retreats? I mean, the moms that are going to be there aren't all members.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a girl friend whose daughter is going through rush at Bama and she is planning on going up for Bid Day and she is trying to figure out logistics - do most parents just kind of hang out near the houses that their daughters went to pref or do you meet them before they go to the houses?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, they hang out around those houses. The girls will call their moms if they know they are going to be there and let them know which bid they got. They run over from the stadium....
Old 08-06-2010, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Today is one last shopping trip, tomorrow final packing, then.... ALABAMA!!
My daughter informed me I would not get a day by day update on recruitment progress. I did get her to agree to tell me 1 house per round she is visiting, and 1 she is not.

We each "guessed" where she might pref, and put the list in a sealed envelope to be opened after recruitment. Just a little way to de-stress. She is open to any bid, so this was strickly for fun, not a "must pledge here or else" list.

Good luck to all involved, hope it cools down A LOT.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamama14 View Post
Today is one last shopping trip, tomorrow final packing, then.... ALABAMA!!
My daughter informed me I would not get a day by day update on recruitment progress. I did get her to agree to tell me 1 house per round she is visiting, and 1 she is not.

We each "guessed" where she might pref, and put the list in a sealed envelope to be opened after recruitment. Just a little way to de-stress. She is open to any bid, so this was strickly for fun, not a "must pledge here or else" list.

Good luck to all involved, hope it cools down A LOT.
Hee hee...it sounds like you both have great senses of humor. I can just see her texts. "XYZ YES ABC NO. KTHXBYE."
Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

I am jealous of the moms who can get texts! When my oldest 3 rushed (2000, 2002, 2003), we didn't have texting--well, they didn't even have cell phones. A couple of them managed to get to a friend's phone after 1 or 2 sets of parties but other than that...silence from south Georgia.

I wonder if my mother was freaking out at home when I rushed. They turned off all phones in the dorm and you had no way of calling anyone!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

i just dropped mine off at the airport! she's on her own now! she promised to skype me every night
Old 08-06-2010, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I am jealous of the moms who can get texts! When my oldest 3 rushed (2000, 2002, 2003), we didn't have texting--well, they didn't even have cell phones. A couple of them managed to get to a friend's phone after 1 or 2 sets of parties but other than that...silence from south Georgia.

I wonder if my mother was freaking out at home when I rushed. They turned off all phones in the dorm and you had no way of calling anyone!
I'm trying to remember if my mom even knew I was going through rush.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, my mother knew what I was doing back in the 60's even though we couldn't call home! I cut my cousin's group and she called her mother (in Clanton) who called my mother (in Birmingham) who called my aunt who lived in Tuscaloosa (I went to Alabama). My aunt promptly sent my uncle, who was Coach Bryant's team doctor and had access to any place he wanted, to the dorm to explain to me what a faux pas I had made! Only thing was, he didn't like my cousin any more than I did so he understood...he was just running the errand....