GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,733
0 members and 1,733 guests
No Members online

Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Danish Air Force killed Rudolf!

Danish Air Force Pays Santa After Jets Scare Reindeer To Death

POSTED: 7:37 am EDT September 29, 2005

COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- Who could argue with Santa? Certainly not the Danish Air Force.

The Danish Air Force said Thursday it paid about $5,000 in compensation to a part-time Santa Claus whose reindeer died of heart failure when two fighter jets roared over his farm.

The animal, named Rudolf, was grazing at the farm of Olavi Nikkanoff in central Denmark when the screaming F-16 jets passed overhead at low altitude in February.

The reindeer collapsed and died, leaving Nikkanoff with the prospect of only one animal pulling his sleigh next Christmas.

He complained to the air force, which agreed to compensate him for the cost of the reindeer and veterinary expenses.

"We got a letter from Santa complaining about his reindeer's death and looked into it seriously," air force spokesman Capt. Morten Jensen said. The air force checked flight data and veterinary reports and concluded the planes had caused the animal's death.

Nikkanoff said he would use the money to buy a new reindeer before Christmas.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Must be a slow news day in Pittsburgh

Lake Erie burps and nearby residents smell it
Friday, September 30, 2005
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05273/580563.stm
AP

ERIE, Pa. -- State and federal environmental officials are trying to determine the cause of a big stink reported along Lake Erie.

Hundreds of residents called authorities or the National Weather Service yesterday to report the smell, which has been variously described as like gasoline, natural gas or even decaying garbage and rotten eggs. The smell was strongest yesterday morning when a cold front swept through the area, churning up larger than normal waves from Erie to Dunkirk, N.Y., officials said.

Scientists said tests run so far aren't conclusive, but they believe the churning waters may have released some naturally occurring gases that are normally trapped beneath the lake's deeper waters. Decaying plants and fish washed ashore by the waves could also be contributing to the stench.

Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection biologist Jim Grazio said the wave-churning theory makes sense because the smell lessened when the waves diminished.

"It's like the lake burped, and then the burp passed by us," Grazio said.
============================
Colonoscopes stolen from Armstrong hospital
Friday, September 30, 2005
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05273/580562.stm
AP

Four colonoscopes were stolen recently from Armstrong County Memorial Hospital, a theft that one law enforcement official says is likely driven by a big overseas market.

"If you go on the Web and type in 'used endoscopes' or 'used colonoscopes,' you'll find dozens of suppliers selling used equipment," said State College police Det. Ralph Ralston. "It's kind of bizarre."

State police in Kittanning announced yesterday that they were investigating last weekend's theft from Armstrong County Memorial Hospital in East Franklin Township, about 35 miles north of Pittsburgh. The devices, worth $103,680 total, are used to examine the human colon.

"We're mystified by it ourselves," said Bud Mitchell, the hospital's director of facilities management.

Meanwhile, Ralston has been investigating the theft of two colonoscopes, worth a combined $46,700, from the Mount Nittany Medical Center since July.

"There aren't any leads to go on," Ralston said.

The medical devices, which sell for $25,000 new, can be purchased for as little as $4,000 on some Web sites. Ralston said some used equipment sites let hospitals and others enter information about stolen equipment so it can be identified if somebody tries to sell it through those sites.

The Armstrong County units were discovered missing at the beginning of Monday's daylight shift, when patients began showing up for colonoscopies. The hospital had other colonoscopes and the procedures were performed as scheduled, but hospital officials immediately began a department-by-department search for the equipment because of its value, Mitchell said.

"Later the same day, we called the police, once we felt there was some foul play there," Mitchell said. The hospital is mulling offering a reward. State police said they have no leads.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Man dies after being stabbed by comb

Yes, a comb.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/5043014/detail.html

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 10-04-2005, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Doctor sued for sex treatment for back pain

Tue Oct 4,10:09 AM ET

An Oregon woman whose doctor convinced her that he could cure her lower back pain by having sex with her is suing him and his medical clinic for $4 million, according to legal documents obtained on Monday.

The doctor, Randall Smith, who was 50 at the time, was stripped of his license and sent to jail for 60 days last year for charging the state's Oregon Health Plan $5,000 for his 45-minute "treatments" involving the woman.

"Dr. Smith's medical treatment included intercourse in which he told plaintiff was needed to help alleviate plaintiff's lower back and lower extremity pain," the former patient said in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit, which charges battery, negligence and intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress, was filed on Friday in Multnomah County court.

"We never comment on lawsuits," said a spokesman for the Adventist Medical Group clinic in Gresham, Oregon where Smith worked. Smith could not be located for comment.

Though he pleaded guilty to submitting false health care claims, a felony, Smith maintained the sex with the 47-year-old woman was consensual.

Reuters -seattle

Last edited by FHwku; 10-04-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FHwku
Doctor sued for sex treatment for back pain

Tue Oct 4,10:09 AM ET

An Oregon woman whose doctor convinced her that he could cure her lower back pain by having sex with her is suing him and his medical clinic for $4 million, according to legal documents obtained on Monday.

The doctor, Randall Smith, who was 50 at the time, was stripped of his license and sent to jail for 60 days last year for charging the state's Oregon Health Plan $5,000 for his 45-minute "treatments" involving the woman.

"Dr. Smith's medical treatment included intercourse in which he told plaintiff was needed to help alleviate plaintiff's lower back and lower extremity pain," the former patient said in the lawsuit.

The lawsuit, which charges battery, negligence and intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress, was filed on Friday in Multnomah County court.

"We never comment on lawsuits," said a spokesman for the Adventist Medical Group clinic in Gresham, Oregon where Smith worked. Smith could not be located for comment.

Though he pleaded guilty to submitting false health care claims, a felony, Smith maintained the sex with the 47-year-old woman was consensual.

Reuters -seattle
Ok, if the woman is telling the truth here.... How stupid do you have to be to believe a doctor who says, "Having sex with me will cure your pain."
Old 10-04-2005, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

A few weeks ago my school newspaper posted an article about a guy who stole a marijuana plant and then proceeded to bike away with it. Right past a cop, who the arrested him.
The cop reported that the guy just stuck the large plant under his arm and had a huge smile as he pedaled through town.

I can't find the link right now, but I'll look later.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Phigirl04
A few weeks ago my school newspaper posted an article about a guy who stole a marijuana plant and then proceeded to bike away with it. Right past a cop, who the arrested him.
The cop reported that the guy just stuck the large plant under his arm and had a huge smile as he pedaled through town.

I can't find the link right now, but I'll look later.
Wow, where does someone FIND a marijuana plant to steal?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Speaker pulls plug on singing MP

OTTAWA (CP) - Conservative MP Brian Pallister might want to stick to politics if his singing debut is anything to go by.

Pallister got the hook from the Speaker in the House of Commons on Monday as he sang a mocking melody about former Royal Canadian Mint president David Dingwall. Pallister began a member statement by singing Another Ding in the Wall, to the tune of Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall.

"You don't need no information, we're in charge of thought control," he warbled. "Fine wines with caviar in the backroom."

The rest of the Conservative caucus then joined in: "Hey Tories! Leave those Grits alone."

Speaker Peter Milliken rose to cut short the serenade, inviting Pallister to end his statement in the spoken word.

MPs have been allowed to sing their way through statements in the past but Milliken said it's up to him to decide what's appropriate in each circumstance and enough is enough.

"In this case, I thought singing was perhaps not necessary," he told the House.

He urged members to confine their singing to the national anthem from now on.

Pallister's pop knowledge was again evident during question period when he reworked the words to the Dire Straits' hit Money for Nothing.

"(Dingwall) got money for nothing, chicklets for free," the Manitoba MP complained of the former Liberal cabinet minister who expensed everything from golf to gum during his tenure at the Mint.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Starbucks on the Baylor Campus, operated by Aramark, responded to an email by the Concerned Women for America, and removed all coffee cups imprinted with a quotation by gay author Armistead Maupin. "... this imaginary cup burning has given (my quotation) far more publicity than it would have ever received," said Maupin.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moe.ron
Speaker pulls plug on singing MP

OTTAWA (CP) - Conservative MP Brian Pallister might want to stick to politics if his singing debut is anything to go by.

Pallister got the hook from the Speaker in the House of Commons on Monday as he sang a mocking melody about former Royal Canadian Mint president David Dingwall. Pallister began a member statement by singing Another Ding in the Wall, to the tune of Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall.

"You don't need no information, we're in charge of thought control," he warbled. "Fine wines with caviar in the backroom."

The rest of the Conservative caucus then joined in: "Hey Tories! Leave those Grits alone."

Speaker Peter Milliken rose to cut short the serenade, inviting Pallister to end his statement in the spoken word.

MPs have been allowed to sing their way through statements in the past but Milliken said it's up to him to decide what's appropriate in each circumstance and enough is enough.

"In this case, I thought singing was perhaps not necessary," he told the House.

He urged members to confine their singing to the national anthem from now on.

Pallister's pop knowledge was again evident during question period when he reworked the words to the Dire Straits' hit Money for Nothing.

"(Dingwall) got money for nothing, chicklets for free," the Manitoba MP complained of the former Liberal cabinet minister who expensed everything from golf to gum during his tenure at the Mint.
I, for one, thought that was funny. I love a good song parody.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, those wacky Canadians. Hahaha.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh yes... there's a picture!

Python Bursts After Trying to Eat Gator

MIAMI - The alligator has some foreign competition at the top of the Everglades food chain, and the results of the struggle are horror-movie messy.
ADVERTISEMENT

A 13-foot Burmese python recently burst after it apparently tried to swallow a live, six-foot alligator whole, authorities said.

The incident has heightened biologists' fears that the nonnative snakes could threaten a host of other animal species in the Everglades.

"It means nothing in the Everglades is safe from pythons, a top-down predator," said Frank Mazzotti, a University of Florida wildlife professor.

Over the years, many pythons have been abandoned in the Everglades by pet owners.

The gory evidence of the latest gator-python encounter — the fourth documented in the past three years — was discovered and photographed last week by a helicopter pilot and wildlife researcher.

The snake was found with the gator's hindquarters protruding from its midsection. Mazzotti said the alligator may have clawed at the python's stomach as the snake tried to digest it.

In previous incidents, the alligator won or the battle was an apparent draw.

"There had been some hope that alligators can control Burmese pythons," Mazzotti said. "This indicates to me it's going to be an even draw. Sometimes alligators are going to win and sometimes the python will win."

It is unknown how many pythons are competing with the thousands of alligators in the Everglades, but at least 150 have been captured in the past two years, said Joe Wasilewski, a wildlife biologist and crocodile tracker.

Pythons could threaten many smaller species that conservationists are trying to protect, including other reptiles, otters, squirrels, woodstorks and sparrows, Mazzotti said.

Wasilewski said a 10- or 20-foot python also could pose a risk to an unwary human, especially a child. He added, however, "I don't think this is an imminent threat. This is not a `Be afraid, be very afraid' situation.'"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051005/...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

ETA: My compy is being lame... so if you wanna see the pic, hit "Back to Story" in the upper right hand corner.

Last edited by JenMarie; 10-05-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Strange bumper sticker:

Impotence...Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings,"
Old 10-07-2005, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Man Wins Award for Creating Fake Dog Testicles
Thursday, October 06, 2005

BOSTON_—_Gregg Miller mortgaged his home and maxed out his credit cards to mass produce his invention — prosthetic testicles for neutered dogs.

What started 10 years ago with an experiment on an unwitting Rottweiler named Max has turned into a thriving mail-order business. And on Thursday night Miller's efforts earned him a dubious yet strangely coveted honor: the Ig Nobel Prize for medicine.

"Considering my parents thought I was an idiot when I was a kid, this is a great honor," he said. "I wish they were alive to see it."

The Ig Nobels, given at Harvard University by Annals of Improbable Research magazine, celebrate the humorous, creative and odd side of science.

Miller has sold more than 150,000 of his Neuticles, more than doubling his $500,000 investment. The silicone implants come in different sizes, shapes, weights and degrees of firmness.

Although the Ig Nobels are not exactly prestigious, many recipients are, like Miller, happy to win.

"Most scientists — no matter what they're doing, good or bad — never get any attention at all," said Marc Abrahams, editor of the Annals of Improbable Research.

Some, like Benjamin Smith of the University of Adelaide in Australia, who won the biology prize, actually nominated their own work. "I've been a fan of the Ig Nobels for a while," he said.

Smith's team studied and catalogued different scents emitted by more than 100 species of frogs under stress. Some smelled like cashews, while others smelled like licorice, mint or rotting fish.

He recalled getting strange looks when he'd show up at zoos asking to smell the frogs. "I've been turned away at the gate," he said.

This year's other Ig Nobel winners include:

— PHYSICS: Since 1927, researchers at the University of Queensland in Australia have been tracking a glob of congealed black tar as it drips through a funnel — at a rate of one drop every nine years.

— PEACE: Two researchers at Newcastle University in England monitored the brain activity of locusts as they watched clips from the movie "Star Wars."

— CHEMISTRY: An experiment at the University of Minnesota was designed to prove whether people can swim faster or slower in syrup than in water.

The Ig Nobel for literature went to the Nigerians who introduced millions of e-mail users to a "cast of rich characters ... each of whom requires just a small amount of expense money so as to obtain access to the great wealth to which they are entitled."
Old 10-10-2005, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

During the annual girls powder puff football game between the juniors and seniors at Amador Valley High School (California) last year someone streaked the nighttime event, running across the field with what appeared to be pantyhose on his head.

After a lengthy investigation, the district decided just this month that senior Garrett Aziz was the naked runner and suspended him for three days from school and banned him from any extra curricular activities for 30 days. But Aziz insists he didn't do it (he was at the game but left early with a friend) and his parents went so far as to hire a forensic analyst to compare home video of the game to naked pictures of Garrett's buttocks taken by--who else?--his mother.

Suzanne Aziz admitted, "My son was very uncomfortable. He kept telling me mom this is just wrong. And I said I know it's wrong honey, but we have to do it to prove that it's not you." Once that unpleasantness was over, the expert, Rob Sanderson, told the parents that he was able to determine that "the person in the video has a significantly different upper to lower body length ratio than your son ... I conclude that your son was not the streaker." Garrett also points out that "That guy's thighs are huge. I have chicken legs," and his always helpful mother added, "That's not my son's butt and legs. A mother knows that."

The school district wasn't buying any of it and went ahead with the punishment anyway.