GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,406
2 members and 2,404 guests
aidanshulzeo560

Old 03-20-2002, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

"Fuzzies?"

I know that Alpha Xi Delta National formally discourages the use of the nickname "Fuzzie", but I certainly like it better than "AZD." Although it struck me as very odd the first time I heard it (my campus calls us either "AZDs" or "Alpha Xis"), it's grown on me over time and now sounds just cute to me -- no hairiness implied.

What are we called on your campus? (Please include the name of your campus.) And what do you think of the nickname(s)?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-20-2002, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of the campuses in Ohio used Fuzzies. We didn't much at Case Western Reserve University, because we were founded after Nationals started discouraging its use, and because our members were split on whether they loved or hated it.

But you can probably guess from my name where I stand! And it does have the advantage of sounding different. "Alpha Xi" rhymed with "Alpha Phi," and AXD - well, most people assumed we were Alpha Zeta Delta then.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

on my campus at Texas Wesleyan, we are mostly AZD's, in truth, i had never heard the term "fuzzie" until I came to greekchat. I am not sure that i like it very much, but then again, i have never been in a situation where i have been called that or called my sister that.

This is digression from the topic a little, but i think fuzzie only works on a campus that is used to hearing it. i think if on my campus we started trying to call ourselves fuzzies, people would laugh.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:23 AM
GreekChat Member

We go by AZD's and Alpha Xi's here at Oregon State, but like it was mentioned we get confused with Alpha Phi and Alpha Gamma Delta (we don't have any Alpha Zeta Deltas) It can be very diffucult during formal recruitment. Alpha Xi does work better, but we've heard on other campuses we're called just Xi's and me and my Big are trying to promote that.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
At elon we were mostly called the "AZD's", the "Alpha Xi's"...our pledge classes give them selves names, one class called themselves the "Fozzies" like Fozzie Bear.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristiAZD
My chapter hasn't used that name since the seventies. We all pretty much hate it. No offense to the other sisters who do use it though becuase naturally you don't hate it because that's what you've always been called. In the Gamma Sigma chapter we are called Xis or Alpha Xis. I am perfectly fine being called this. All the other groups are called by some letter in their names, why not us? I am in the process of applying to transfer to a school where they ARE called fuzzies. That will be hard for me to get used to. If anyone ever asked me if I was in a sorority I could never say I was a fuzzie. I would have to say I was an Alpha Xi. It's just wierd to me. But again, if you like it, more power to you!
Old 03-27-2002, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

We never actually went around telling others we were fuzzies, it was simply a name we would use among ourselves and that other Alpha Xi's would understand. It was actually one of the groupings on our phone tree when it got too long to just be Alpha's Xi's and Delta's. So basically, if you would have called us fuzzies to another group on campus, they probably would not have gotten it. It was just for us.

Xi love
Mindy
Old 03-27-2002, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristiAZD
Wow. At the school I am hoping to transfer to, the Xis are known by that name. It's what they put on their bid day, greek week, and other t-shirts. I also have a friend that goes to Purdue and he says that everyone calls them fuzzies there too. When I told him I was an Alpha Xi, he was like, wait a minute, you mean you're a fuzzie?? So confusing!
Old 04-01-2002, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fuzzie906
Fuzzies or Alpha XIs?

At the University of Toledo we are the Fuzzies.... and Proud of it... Though nationals discourages it... it's hard to get away from it when everyone on our campus knows us as the fuzzies... We use it to our advantage and it sets us apart... A) explaining the Al -PHA-XI is somethine to remember us by during recruitement and B)with songs and chants it gives us the advantage of using Fuzzies and also alpha xi's, Xi's or AZD's though we DO NOT use AZD... those are not our letters...
Many sorority's are dropping the nick names my sis is and Alpha Gamma Delta (Ohio State) And they are using alpha gams and not AGD's since G is not a letter... and though i am proud to be a Fuzzie (and to my friends outside the sorority "Da Fuzzie") I agree we should just be Alpha Xi's or Xi's...
Still Fuzzies is mostly an Ohio thing... and it works for us.

XI Love and all of mine
valerie
U of Toledo
Old 04-02-2002, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down Hate it.

I'm sorry to all of you that simply love "fuzzies" but I really hate it when someone refers to me (or Alpha Xi Delta) that way. I was in the Pittsburgh airport one time, wearing my Quill, when two guys yelled - "Hey, she's a fuzzy" - I was so embarrassed. I know it's habit and hard to change on a campus where that's been your nickname for decades but I, personally, don't like it at all. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

You don't have to like it or use it, of course, but why be so embarrassed about something that's not meant to be derogatory?
Old 04-02-2002, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I suppose it was all of the looks I got from everyone sitting around me in the airport. These guys were quite loud and I, being in my (very low) thirties - being greeted by two early twenties guys???? Well, you can picture it - I assure you, I was quite embarrassed. I know they weren't being derogatory - but who knows what they older woman across the way may have thought. I did end up talking to them until my plane boarded and they were quite nice and had a great fondness for us.

I guess I'm just glad that the nickname never made it down South. For those of you that like it - good for you - it's just not for me.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, I can see that would be embarrassing. For that matter, I wouldn't even like it if two guys shouted, "Hey, it's an Alpha Xi Delta," at me in an airport, either.
Old 04-20-2002, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tiffbo607
On our campus, we are known as the Alpha Xi's. we do write AZD for short. Sometimes the term fuzzie is used, but not all that often. i wouldnt be offended by it though.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlphaXiAshley Send a message via AIM to AlphaXiAshley Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaXiAshley
Thumbs down no thanx

On our campus not only are we NOT known by that but it is not to be used by our own members. Even our advisor gives us strict lectures on it... WE go by AxiD or Alpha XI.
Ashes