GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,370
3 members and 1,367 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 06-16-2000, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Book

I was watching a bit of Oprah a couple months ago, and I saw her do a bit about a book. I'm not sure if it's on her book list or not. But anyway, the book is about Black women throughout american history. The 2 ladies that did the book, were looking for pictures of black women in history to put in a artical in a newspaper I believe. Then they got such a response from the public nationally (the put requests for photos etc in newspapers, magazines, etc throughout the US) that they decided to do a book. It looked like an amazing book. I am actually going to go to Oprah's website to see if it's there after I finish this post. But the thing about the book is that the two authors are both White females. Oprah was very impressed with the work supposedly. Anyway, I thought it would be interesting for everyone in sororities to get this book and look it over.
Old 06-16-2000, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

Hey Mikki..

when (and if) you find out the title of the book, let us know!!

Have you noticed that bookstores have "Oprah bookclub" sections these days? Maybe I'll see if I can find it there.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 06-16-2000, 06:39 PM
gloriajean

Smile

Mikki,
If you look here on the Oprah website, these are all of the past book club selections. http://www.oprah.com/obc/pastbooks/obc_pb_main.html
However, non of them appear to be written by "two women", so maybe it was a book that Oprah liked but it wasn't a book club selection per se.

Also, this is a list of Oprah's favorite books: http://www.oprah.com/obc/favoritebks/obc_fav_main.html
Old 06-16-2000, 06:43 PM
gloriajean

Exclamation

Me again..I think that I found it!
It is called "The Face of Our Past: Images of Black Women from Colonial America to the Present" by Kathleen Thompson (Editor), Hilary Mac Austin (Editor), Darlene Clark Hine (Editor)

Go here: http://www.oprah.com/tows/booksseen/...425_kthom.html

Old 06-16-2000, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello
I read your post on the book and I went to the website and read the book description. I am curious however to your statement, "thought it would be interesting for everyone in sororities to get this book and look it over."

I believe that the book would have a deeper impact and a more widespread and diverse audience if WOMEN in general read the book. I believe that whites, blacks, men and women, young and old should read this book. Until we know the FULL HISTORY, we are doomed to repeat it.

Carla
Old 06-19-2000, 08:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Crimson,

Oh, I agree that it would be great for EVERYONE to read it! All the talk about the Black/White issues that we've been talking about just got me thinking that it would be nice for sorority women to read it because it educates 'white' women to the past of 'black' women, and it also shows how 'white' women have respect for that past (I thought 2 editors, but must be 3 white editors).

GLORIA,

Oh, and that IS the book I was talking about! Thanks!