GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,391
2 members and 1,389 guests
3DGator, LaneSig

Old 09-02-2006, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Daughter at Rush Need Advice

Hello all,

I am new here and so glad I found this message board.

My daughter is an incoming freshman college student. She is currently involved in "rush".

She is having a hard time deciding on a sorority. I attempted to look some of them up on the internet and didn't get much more than a headache Of course, the opinions I found were a bit overwhelming.

A little about my daughter. She is a down to earth modest girl. Not a big party type (of course Im not blind to the fact that she has experimented in that area) But all in all I think the reason she looks to join a sorority is for the friendship and sisterhood. She likes to hang out with guys more than girls because of the pettiness that girls get into. Drama as she calls it. She has always had many acquaintances and a few close girlfriends. Shes not good with the group that put on different "faces" for different situations and tends to be closer friends and fit in better with those who are who they are no matter where they are. (If that makes sense)

Sorry to be so long winded but I didn't go to college nor did my hubby. So I am at a loss on how to advise her.

Of course, I will tell her to go with her heart and what feels right to her but any advise ya'all may be able to share with me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Angie
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2006, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Somewhere between Good Morning America and Jerry Springer.
Good luck to your daughter during recruitment! It can be a very stressful, but a fun time. Only she will know what feels right for her...you advised her well when you told her, "follow your heart". Advise her to keep an open mind, and an open heart. Chances are she'll find a sorority that'll fit her like a glove.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Ragtime! I hope your right as I just talked to her again and tonight they get their last invites and tommorow night is bid night. She is having a very hard time with this decision!
Old 09-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Angie,

You gave your daughter good advice - she just needs to spend time getting to know the women at the various chapters on campus, keeping an open mind. There will come a point in the process when it should just 'click' for her as to which chapters are more to her liking than others.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

ang, is she having fun?

if she is having fun, and likes all of the groups equally, then it sounds like she cannot go wrong, whatever choice she makes. most chapters have groups within the larger group(the studious ones, the student government types, those girls who are very interested in volunteer work, etc.)-she will find the group that she gels with the best.

if she is not having fun, and is going along hoping that one group is going to really bowl her over, and none have done so yet, it may happen during pref. but then again it may not. she could accept a bid, and give the sorority a chance to grow on her-sometimes it takes more than a few days for it to be a total "sale".

if she is having a hard time trying to decide whether she wants to be a part of the greek system, or not, she should know by the time prefs. are over. she should have a pretty good idea what each sorority stands for, what activities they do thru out the year, and what they expect of their members.

i hope that she makes the decision that is best for her. you gave her some great advice and it sounds like you and your husband are supportive of her. best wishes to her.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 09-02-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where old Sorority Girls go, pearls still included!!
Send a message via AIM to BadSquirrelBeta
Well you are such a great mom looking for information, etc. It sounds as if your daugter is very happy with all her choices she has been attending. I have to echo all the advice the other posters have been sharing with you. If her decision is hard to reach even after Preference encourage her to take her time and reflect over the entire week, etc., and how she REALLY feels. It is ok to also talk with her Rho Chi and take her time when she fills out her preferences. And, if she really and truly feels she could be happy in either/or, well then that is great too.

Please let us know where she ends up and wish her luck!!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
The thing that helped for me was asking questions of each house. Each house wants to get to know your daughter and your daughter should get to know each house. The easiest way for me, was to write things down. The pro and the con. My Rho Chi made us each books so that we could do this, and she was there to answer questions as well.

As it is about a week after you've posted this, how did your daughter do? Did she decide on a house?
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.