GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,292
0 members and 1,292 guests
No Members online

Old 08-17-2016, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

On the news in KC right now: 2 dorms are closed at Mizzou because of that big of a drop in students. Hard to imagine.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad your DD2 is being so positive and looking at each house's sisterhood carefully. It's all that really matters! Keep us informed we are all pulling for her AND you!
Old 08-17-2016, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniKAT View Post
The Kappa Alpha Psi former chapter house (it was the Alpha Chapter) on Richmond has been before the City Council for high density student housing (apartments).
The Alpha Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi is at Indiana University, where they were founded in 1911. I know, because I visited that chapter house a couple of times to study/trade notes with members. There is was a plaque in the chapter house commemorating their founding. The chapter at Mizzou is a double letter chapter.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

first day of philanthropy

She visited 6 houses today and said it went pretty well. However, some houses she loved initially she is not so sure about now. Time will tell. She has one of her favorites tomorrow and another that she liked. She didn't seem discouraged that she had friends with full schedules. The advisor told them average is 3 or 4 so she is very thankful she still has options. She isn't a high energy person and is more laid back so she wasn't surprised that some houses that seemed "over the top enthusiastic" didn't ask her back. She did have a recruiter that said she was a breath of fresh air compared to the super intense pnms. I am encouraging her to be herself and things will work out. She is off to the annual midnight barbeque that is served to freshmen. The official all school move in was today so the campus is fully loaded and ready for the semester. Good thing all the dining halls will now be open.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Continued good wishes for your daughter!
Old 08-18-2016, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh yes...it is good that the dining halls are now open! I remember that being kind of a drag.

Sounds like things are going well for her!!
Old 08-18-2016, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the update kcmom! Sounds like DD2 is sailing through with her positive, laid back attitude. Good for her.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

That BBQ dinner is fun! Glad she is positive. Makes such a difference with how stressful it can be!
Old 08-18-2016, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I noticed that the Preference Round will be limited to no more than 2 houses visited on Saturday instead of the usual limit of 3 which is what they have done in year's past. Does anyone know why they changed it to two houses and whether that increases PNM's chances of matching?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know in this particular case, but I think the thinking is that girls are ok with getting second of two choices but tend to be unhappy when they get third of three. With RFM being what it is, you don't NEED a third option to guarantee your match, so it's ok. It just means they get cut harder earlier.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

The word is that the cuts after the philanthropy round will be very deep dropping by about another half or 2/3 depending on your house return rates.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Than ka for the Missouri housing update. I found the DG website with a picture of the new house and a well-explained rationale. (It is still hard for me to envision a chapter room to accommodate 300!)
Old 08-19-2016, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
Than ka for the Missouri housing update. I found the DG website with a picture of the new house and a well-explained rationale. (It is still hard for me to envision a chapter room to accommodate 300!)
Wow! That will be amazing for them to be able to hold chapter in the house--like in the old days.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I don't know in this particular case, but I think the thinking is that girls are ok with getting second of two choices but tend to be unhappy when they get third of three. With RFM being what it is, you don't NEED a third option to guarantee your match, so it's ok. It just means they get cut harder earlier.
That makes sense. They've been doing this at Wash U in St. Louis for awhile and it seems to work well.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

sisterhood round

Well this morning, DD2 got her list for sisterhood round and only had 2 houses. Although after she visited the 7 over the last two days she had decided that she really only felt comfortable at one house, it still is a bit of an ego buster to feel like the houses don't want you even if you don't want them. There were quite a few in her group that were already dropped completely. Some of the girls still had full schedules. I told her she would be taking the opportunity to visit away from someone who really loves that house. And if they don't see her fitting in (apparently mutually) then they don't want to waste a pref invitation if they don't see her choosing them. She said that nothing was really bad about the visits, but that the conversation wasn't natural and didn't flow. A lot of the houses she had are known for super involved students and that isn't what DD2 did in HS or intends to do in college. She wants to be involved in sorority and school only. Maybe a club in her major but not til she gets settled in and sees how she fares with this load. Anyway, apparently she has a lot in common with DD1. She felt the same way and fretted about what if she doesn't get the one she wants. So she has turned in her pref list and is hoping she gets one pref invitation for tomorrow. Fingers crossed.