GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,596
1 members and 2,595 guests
Tridentia

Old 09-14-2010, 05:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, the # is like a keyword kind of thing. It links trending topics, so if you're talking the 49er game, you can see other people talking about it, too.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
Yeah, the # is like a keyword kind of thing. It links trending topics, so if you're talking the 49er game, you can see other people talking about it, too.
Thanks. I feel less clueless now. Old, but less clueless.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I didnt see hardly anything "incriminating" on FB this year...the only exceptions were from a girl who got dropped and bashed everything sorority related (she was realllllllllllly strange, like she should go in the weird rush story thread) and a girl who originally said she wanted to go KD, then one of the Pan members told her to keep an open mind so she deleted that status(ironically, she went DG).
Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I find so many that are like "I am trying to figure out which sorority I want to rush" like they just pick one and go for it lol. I kind of feel bad for them because of the total cluelessness on how the process works - I always wonder how much that works against them.
hijack, but tons!!

It seems that all the high school seniors in my town have the mentality that joining a sorority is as simple as signing the clipboard to the group that they like the most. I try my best to educate them but it falls on deaf ears because of course they know more about the process than I do.

Then, when they are dropped (because they thought they only needed 3 recs to an SEC school) they return to FB and complain what judgmental biotches sorority members are.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

This is an awesome time drain. These cracked me up for one reason or another...
  • Soooo.... I think im gunna join a sorrority.. [XYZ]... Whatdda u ladies & gents think???
    • Where [School]?? Absolutely not yuck!!
    • Really?? did u go there? r they bad?
    • I went to [School], my bf still goes there, atleast wait a year or two til some girls leave
  • alas! i thought i was safe from sorority recruitment, but those vile felines hath layed siege upon the music building! their shrill shrieks penetrate even my soundproof audio studio fortress - this is my last stand, i utter my final words. i loveth mine family, and my friends, and i'll miss thee, and i only wish my demise wouldst have been anything other than scantily clad skanks chanting to mine peril
  • Thank you diet pepsi, candy, aspirin and boston coffee for a successful sorority recruitment....
  • wanted to squirrel dive off the Biz bldg today listening to this sorority girl talk about rush-just sayin...
  • Sorority rush = hella annoying in sync
  • (Insert witty line incorporating your house's letters and sorority rush being over)
  • Sorority Rush Weekend = College Girl Parade.... yup, life is good
  • I hate thursday night homework...and the sorority pledges won't stop cheering. i hate rush week and its already the first day. major downside to living in sorority row
  • Sorority rush today was awesome except for me tripping and falling and scraping my knee so bad it ripped my pants and my face hit the pavement too! I don't know how I'm gonna choose a sorority they are all so nice!
  • shall I rush?? Hmm.....i dunno....shall I risk punching a preppy skinny sorority cheerleader in the face?......decisions decisions....
But this one is really cute...
  • Today was the last day of rush! It was both wonderful and emotional. I never knew something could mean so much. I can't wait to see which sorority I will get to be apart of tomorrow and I can't wait to meet my new sisters! ♥
ETA a nice philanthropy discussion:
  • I'm going through sorority rush recruitment this weekend but still not sure whether i should join one or not...
    • We don't have either of those here at [school] but isn't [XYZ's] philanthropy something to do with deaf people or awareness?
    • umm no its with the poeple that are told they are going to die... i cant remember the word so that sounded really harsh

Last edited by thetygerlily; 09-14-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Fall 2009 was the year that we had an overload of dumb Facebook statuses. I can't tell you how many girls had where they wanted to go on their statuses on the SECOND day. And then they act shocked when they get cut from the other houses. Hello, we check Facebook too and our feelings get hurt too.

"To see beauty even in the common things of life..."
Old 09-14-2010, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL at this one on t_witter:
AGD recruitment is like orientation for squirrels #squirrelpower

Oh so, so true.

LMFAO:
What I thought was street evangelism was just sorority recruitment.

Oh man, girl posting on t_witter that she's not happy about her bid, and lists the chapter... oh man. And WTF at all the AKA interests posting?

This is killing my productivity.

Last edited by agzg; 09-14-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Thanks. I feel less clueless now. Old, but less clueless.

May I borrow this for a signature?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Someone that is really stressed out:
"Can u Say one of the Biggest Decisions of my life!! I might just have insomnia tonight lol Tomorrow = BID Day. omg."

This one left me going ???
"Just shot RST's Bid day. Great pictures to come. Was much more comfortable than Bid Day 2009."

From an alum...
"I DO NOT LIKE BID DAY!! think i have spent the entire day on the phone......"

This one made me laugh
"only reason i got out of bed today...it's bid day, sleeping thru the suspense isnt possible"

And then, I have nothing more to say
OP: "So I prayed to God that I want a career that would give me the opportunity to help women...I think joining a sorority was my calling... Can't wait for bid day tomorrow!"
Friend: You should look into mary kay!....

Last edited by Benzgirl; 09-14-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Twitter status from a current member:

"lauren while watching sororities give out bids: aopi are baby pandas, aphi are baby angels. What r our pledges? Baby alcoholics? "
Old 09-15-2010, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
OP: "So I prayed to God that I want a career that would give me the opportunity to help women...I think joining a sorority was my calling... Can't wait for bid day tomorrow!"
Friend: You should look into mary kay!....

HAH
Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:

"lauren while watching sororities give out bids: aopi are baby pandas, aphi are baby angels. What r our pledges? Baby alcoholics? "
Anything that makes fun of that ridiculous "baby" trend is aces with me.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Anything that makes fun of that ridiculous "baby" trend is aces with me.
AMEN to that.

And, just curious - where do you find these crazy updates on FB? Not that I'd want to go look for myself or anything... not like I have that kind of time... *cough* (or should it be *eyeroll* directed at myself?)
Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Baby alcoholics? Oh boy, what a way to utilize social media for positive PR, huh?

Add me to the bunch who hates the "baby" whatevers. They AREN'T BABIES for crying out loud. This has been going on for what, a decade or so now? Enough already!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
Baby alcoholics? Oh boy, what a way to utilize social media for positive PR, huh?

Add me to the bunch who hates the "baby" whatevers. They AREN'T BABIES for crying out loud. This has been going on for what, a decade or so now? Enough already!
Me too. It drives me crazy (not to mention the fact that our HQ discourages it). They are adults. Heck, a NM could potentially be older than some of the women who are calling her a "baby violet."

I'm not the "meanie alumna who corrects our terminology" by any means, but that is the one term that I will correct if a VP is using it on one of our calls, and I will be the "meanie alumna who ruins our fun plans" if your bid day shirt ideas involve shirts saying "baby violet." No, I don't care if every other chapter on your campus uses some variation of "baby _____."

Lakers Nation.