GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,506
2 members and 1,504 guests
*winter*, znathanhulzeo24

Old 03-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

U of North Texas ATO Investigated for Hazing

https://www.ntdaily.com/fraternity-a...on-for-hazing/

Quote:
A former pledge of UNT’s Alpha Tau Omega fraternity said the chapter is being reviewed by the Dean of Students Office for allegedly hazing pledges last semester. The Dean of Students Office would not confirm or deny an investigation and while the UNT Interfraternity Council president denied knowledge of allegations, an IFC vice president said conversations about the allegations have taken place.
The pledge, mechanical engineering freshman Tim Petersen, joined ATO last semester and said he was pressured into being hazed in order to join the organization. Petersen said that if pledges chose not to endure the hazing they could walk out, but could not be a part of the fraternity.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

You can’t fix stupid. How hard is it to just NOT haze?? It just never ends.

That said, this is my DD’s school. Greek life as a whole is suffering as a result of constant investigation/probation/suspension/recolonization, etc. It drives me crazy when I see kids at party schools being able to walk around in broad daylight with solo cups and at UNT the boys and girls aren’t even allowed to attend each other’s bid days. Greek life isn’t very big there and they are held to a different standard.

Last semester Pi Kappa Phi got the axe. This semester (already) Theta Chi.
The school’s largest single donatation ever just came from a Pike, and they’ve can’t even occupy their own house.

Few fraternities there are very strong as they’re always trying to reorganize. It affects sorority life, too..
Old 03-04-2019, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

After reading the school newspaper’s article about the horrendous treatment of the ATO pledges, I have very mixed feelings about the young man who “turned in” ATO being named and directly quoted. Part of me admires his courage; another part worries about the pressure and possible danger he could be facing. While I do sometimes wonder about “anonymous” sources, I know how vindictive college-age kids can be. I just hope he was okay with being named and quoted and was not blindsided.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi2KD View Post

That said, this is my DD’s school. Greek life as a whole is suffering as a result of constant investigation/probation/suspension/recolonization, etc. It drives me crazy when I see kids at party schools being able to walk around in broad daylight with solo cups and at UNT the boys and girls aren’t even allowed to attend each other’s bid days. Greek life isn’t very big there and they are held to a different standard.

Last semester Pi Kappa Phi got the axe. This semester (already) Theta Chi.
The school’s largest single donatation ever just came from a Pike, and they’ve can’t even occupy their own house.

Few fraternities there are very strong as they’re always trying to reorganize. It affects sorority life, too..
The Sigma Nu chapter down there seems to ride that same cycle, going from national relevance and high performance straight to having its charter suspended for hazing. You hate to see that.

On the positive side, the members of the Eli Young Band were members at that Sigma Nu chapter.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-05-2019, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Without condoning hazing, I have to say I think this is the wrong question.

It *IS* difficult given that the definitions of hazing seem to encompass almost anything but chapter meetings and initiation rituals. Sure, that's hyperbole, but there are so many things that *might* be *considered* "hazing" that it may be difficult "not to haze".
Old 03-05-2019, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Without condoning hazing, I have to say I think this is the wrong question.

It *IS* difficult given that the definitions of hazing seem to encompass almost anything but chapter meetings and initiation rituals. Sure, that's hyperbole, but there are so many things that *might* be *considered* "hazing" that it may be difficult "not to haze".
No, I totally get that, but I meant how hard is it to not “haze = making pledges pass out, drink involuntarily, crawl through glass/vomit/etc.”.

The things in this case, if true, are unacceptable.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, I totally get that, but I meant how hard is it to not “haze = making pledges pass out, drink involuntarily, crawl through glass/vomit/etc.”.

The things in this case, if true, are unacceptable.
This all gets back to my question "define hazing." In skimming the article, the only thing that really stands out is the "ice bath" and getting yelled at. Do we want to say wall sits, push ups and the like are hazing? A lot of information out there talk about "athletic contests," rope courses, and the like as team building exercises. Where is that line drawn? It's a little more grey area IMO.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone seen any updates, that report on whether the chapter is actually being investigated? He says he was removed from the fraternity after a vote, because he thinks "members didn't like him." Is there some suspicion that his complaint may be somewhat vindictive in nature? An investigation would be prudent, to try to determine what was really going on that may have crossed the line.